JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   natural childbirth stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f266-natural-childbirth-stories/)
-   -   Hank Jeffrey's Birth Story (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f266-natural-childbirth-stories/2418505-hank-jeffreys-birth-story.html)

MarisaKay September 21st, 2011 05:42 PM

Hank Jeffrey's Birth Story

It was around 9pm and Jeremy and I were in bed watching TV. I was sitting up because its uncomfortable to lay down when your 9 months pregnant. All the sudden I felt like I peed my pants a little bit. I was annoyed and chalked it up as another lovely side effect of pregnancy. I stood up to go to the bathroom and felt a gush! I immediately knew that my water had broke! I went and sat on the toilet and felt a constant trickle. I was in total shock because I had seen my Midwife that morning and she had checked me and I was not dilated at all and baby was really high up.
I told Jeremy and he was really happy because he had been joking all evening that he hoped baby would come that night because he didnít want to go to work the next day. We called his mom and she and Jeremyís sister came right over. I did some laundry and packed my hospital bags (I was flustered because I hadnít done all these things). I straightened up the house, it was a mess. I had to wash Jackís diapers. We finally left for the hospital as contractions started and got there around 11:30pm. They did the test and confirmed my water had broken and checked me and I was dilated to 2. I thought I had a long labor ahead of me and was kind of disappointed that I had arrived at the hospital so early. They checked me into a room and started an IV because I hadnít been tested for GBS yet. I changed into my own nightgown (the nurse thought I was crazy for not wearing theirs) and settled into bed. I wanted to try and rest while I was hooked up to the IV.
Around 1am I started to notice my contractions getting closer together and more intense. I called the nurse and she checked me and said I was dilated to 5! I was shocked; I had dilated 3cm in an hour and a half! At this point I still hadnít seen my midwife because they thought I would be laboring so long, she didnít come in right away. I was able to breathe through them. At this time the nurse hep locked my IV and I was able to get up and move around. I walked around my room while Jeremy watched TV. We called our Doula , Stacy and gave her an update that things were starting to pick up. She was on her way, but lives quite a ways away. We told her we thought she still had plenty of time. I went and sat on the toilet for a while and that seemed to help. I emptied my bladder and I think that really picked things up. I was tired so I got back in bed but was not comfortable to lay down so I sat up for a while and then got on all fours when contractions got more intense. They had me on the monitors for 20 minutes then I got to come off them for awhile.
This is where I kind of lost track of time. My guess around 2:30 am I started having a hard time getting through each contraction and started shaking uncontrollably. I remember thinking ďthis is really hard, why is it happening so fast?Ē The nurse checked me and I was 7-8. Looking back now I realize this was transition. I had prepared myself and knew all the signs for transition, but in the middle of it I didnít put all the signs together. I started saying I didnít want to do it anymore. I asked what they would give me if I asked for pain medication. The said nubain and Benadryl. I didnít ask for it. I started to doubt myself. Then all the sudden I had a lot of pressure and told the nurse I wanted up to go sit on the toilet, I had to have a bowel movement. I was really annoyed that they wouldnít let me, but looking back I realize that was just baby moving down and creating all the pressure. I said I wanted to push. I did and the nurse said to stop, the baby was coming. They called my midwife, who was changing into her scrubs I think. She came in and I pushed once and she told me to stop, while she slowly delivered the head. That was really hard because I wanted to just get the baby out! One more push and baby was on my stomach! It was so fast! I looked and said ďOh another boy! ď I kept saying,Ē thatís it? Itís over? I feel so good!Ē
I told my midwife not to clamp or cut the cord and that we wanted the placenta. The nurse looked at me like I was crazy. I didnít care. Probably 5 minutes passed and I delivered the placenta. Somewhere in that time Jeremy cut the cord. We got to do skin to skin for some time and tried nursing but he didnít seem to interested. The nurse took him and cleaned him up and then he nursed for a half hour. I felt amazing! My doula Stacy walked in 5 minutes after Hank was born, she was so sorry she missed it and was really apologetic. None of us realized how fast this was going to go! My midwife told us to take our placenta out to my doulaís car before pathology heard and try to make an issue out of it. My doula encapsulated it and brought it to me the next afternoon.
Hank Jeffrey was born at 3:22am after about 4 Ĺ hours of labor and about 6 hours after my water broke. He weighed 6lbs and 4 oz and was 19inches long, my smallest baby! I couldnít have asked for a more perfect birth!

mommy2noelle September 22nd, 2011 07:39 AM

Re: Hank Jeffrey's Birth Story

Awesome! Congratulations!

MiniMom September 23rd, 2011 10:08 AM

Congrats! What a perfect birth story! You make it sound so easy...I'm praying that mine goes that fast!

HopeTea January 6th, 2012 12:03 AM

I love stories like these! ;)

justjaQ January 8th, 2012 04:49 PM

glad you had such a great birth. congratulations!

bostoncreampie January 8th, 2012 06:35 PM

congrats! love the name hank!

Jamyandcrew March 9th, 2012 04:06 PM

Great story...funny thing is my dh is Jeremy and hank is our boy name.;)

daneeleigh June 6th, 2012 01:33 PM

Congratulations. Out of curiousity, did you have to pay your doula still? We had it written into our agreement that if she wasn't present then we were refunded everything but 75 dollars.