JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Taking Tylenol (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1264056-taking-tylenol.html)

littlebabydolly October 7th, 2008 09:50 AM

I believe I have developed Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction which is when too much relaxin is releasing your pubic bones too far apart and causing major strain on ligaments. This has been my second night in a row where I can't sleep from it, waking to only find some comfort in sitting up. I can't do any chores any more and even getting to the bathroom is a total hassle. I have a midwife and worked with her and some stretches, even with to see her chiropractor twice with no relief. I don't think he knew really what was wrong with me and was giving me leg opening type stretches to do. I ended up emailing a regular OB as well just to get insight. She told me to take Tylenol and even went as far to ask me if I want a vicodin prescription. Tylenol is as far as I'd take this now but I feel so bad for baby. Being that I want a natural birth, this seems like "drugs" to me. I know labor will be so much more painful but it won't last as long as this pain has! I've had it for months but the last month it has gotten progressively worse. It almost feels like some one took a sledge hammer to my pelvic bone. I'm 31 weeks so I have about two months left to go. I've been taking baths every morning, used a hot water bottle sparingly, tried cold compresses, and use a birth ball to sit on during the day too. That gave me relief during the day but not at night when laying on my side crushes my hips together. I used a body pillow for a while but with what I have read on the disorder its between to keep your legs together and not parted.

Anyways...

So, should I be feeling guilty for thinking of taking tylenol? Did any other natural birthers here take it during their pregnancy?

Kelllilee October 7th, 2008 11:00 AM

I've taken it when needed, but Tylenol doesnt' really do anything for me, so most times I just suffered through it.

Here's a website I found with some advice for that condition:

http://www.mybirthbydesign.com/Pubic%20Sym...%20problems.pdf

I've always heard to put a pillow between your knees at night, I would think knees together would put more stress on those joints, In fact i think I had a mild case of it towards the end of my pregnancy and took to sleeping on the couch. The back of our couch has a double "pillow" on the back part and I'd wedge one knee between the two and it helped a TON.

moon~maiden October 7th, 2008 11:32 AM

try finding a neuro-muscular massage therapist in your area. I saw one frequently while pregnant and she did wonders. I have fibromyalgia and pregnancy could have been torture for me. She made it manageable. Stretching is also fantastic.

littlebabydolly October 7th, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

I've taken it when needed, but Tylenol doesnt' really do anything for me, so most times I just suffered through it.

Here's a website I found with some advice for that condition:

http://www.mybirthbydesign.com/Pubic%20Sym...%20problems.pdf

I've always heard to put a pillow between your knees at night, I would think knees together would put more stress on those joints, In fact i think I had a mild case of it towards the end of my pregnancy and took to sleeping on the couch. The back of our couch has a double "pillow" on the back part and I'd wedge one knee between the two and it helped a TON.[/b]

It seems like some people a pillow helps, some it doesnt. Today I cant barely spread my legs an inch with out it hurting so a pillow is out! Im on the couch in a nest of pillows as well. It helps to have that extra support on the back to keep you propped up on your side better. I hate to be here for two months though!

I kinda think Tylenol might not do much for me either.

Cheryl - I will go google neuro-muscular massage therapist now. I also have a regular physical therapist appointment through my medical for next week. I would go back to the chiropractor too if I felt I had SOME relief from it but I walked out still with the stabbing pain both times.

moon~maiden October 7th, 2008 04:05 PM

^^^I forgot to mention that they would need to be certified in prenatal massage. I hope you find someone!!

Kelllilee October 7th, 2008 08:45 PM

what about putting a pillow UNDER your knees. Like knees together but elevated a little. That might help keep your hips in better alignment.

BabsMitchell October 8th, 2008 07:51 AM

It's a personal decision that only you can make. Personally I refuse to take Tylenol. I avoid a lot of other common products as well. Whatever you decide I hope you find pain relief! Good luck.

littlebabydolly October 8th, 2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

what about putting a pillow UNDER your knees. Like knees together but elevated a little. That might help keep your hips in better alignment.[/b]
I tried that last night actually. I was comfortable until DH hopping into bed, weighing down and throwing off my whole system! I tried the pillow under the legs to put things back in balance. His weight overwhelmed the pillow though! I ended up sleeping with a pillow between my legs anyways last night. How broken I am seems to change from day to day. <_<

I still haven't taken tylenol because I just dont want to end up depending on it every night for rest. Last night was OK as far as getting comfortable on one side but when I turn my pelvis hurts, feels like it's ripping and clicks this horrible sound every time. At least that only has to happen say... 8 times a night when I get up to turn! Better then 8 times in an hour like some restless nights.

DoulaMama October 8th, 2008 01:43 PM

I feel like such a broken record- but accupuncture is amazing.

sleeping in an upright position is also really wonderful. I have a bum hip and when my pain is really bad I do that.

littlebabydolly October 20th, 2008 02:07 PM

Just a quick update. My midwife was wonderful and finally came up with a good solution. I am taking homeopathic arnica as well as putting topical Trameel gel on my groin. It took about a week but I am functional again. I guess it took down swelling in the muscles and ligaments surrounding my pelvic bones. I still get pain and clicking in the pelvis but it doesn't cause me to shriek in pain or loose nearly as much sleep anymore! I am taking it easy still for the most part but am so glad with the relief I've been feeling. I guess I just need to work on strengthening muscles after pregnancy to bring everything back together and then I should be back to normal.

niknok October 21st, 2008 06:26 AM

I'm so glad things have gotten better for you!

whodatmama October 21st, 2008 12:10 PM

This is great advice. I've been suffering since May with PSD. I do have to say that the last few weeks it has gotten a bit better. I am not sure why, but I am not having as much of an issue lately thank goodness. Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I am glad your midwife helped you feel better!