JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Great Insights From My Midwife (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1284799-great-insights-my-midwife.html)

littlebabydolly October 22nd, 2008 04:00 PM

At my midwife appointment today she told me the birth story of a lady who gave birth this weekend. She said she started out labor very early in the morning. She thought she was deep in labor but my midwife watched and saw she wasn't having contractions when the mommy thought she was. She thought ever little pain was a contraction which might have just been the baby moving. She was very fussy early in labor when she wasn't even starting to progress at all. My midwife came and checked on her but left for the day to give her some time.

Hours later, contractions were up to 2 min. apart. She was incredibly focused and working great through labor. Her contractions were nearly silent and she just stared into her husbands eyes to work through them while breathing gently but deeply. She only grunted and moaned the last half hour of pushing. She had the baby at 6pm.

Now that baby is born, she flinches at breast feeding pains.

The interesting insight from my midwife was that she couldn't handle the little pains but she worked just like a pro through the biggest pain of her life, labor. I find this valuable because an excuse I often hear from women why they want the drugs and epidural is that they have no tolerance to pain. You might come to think that from the little pains in your life but it doesn't mean you won't be able to handle a natural birth. It gives me extra confidence so I wanted to share this.

niknok October 22nd, 2008 04:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing any story about a successful NCB.

MamaBx3 October 22nd, 2008 06:30 PM

:smile: Thanks for sharing!

moon~maiden October 22nd, 2008 06:34 PM

true, like how a paper cut or a hangnail can be torture!!

Kelllilee October 22nd, 2008 09:56 PM

it's soooo true! Labor pain is just different. it's not like a broken arm, or a cut or even cramps. It has a purpose and goal and an end in sight. It's a totally different experience!

Katty85 October 22nd, 2008 10:40 PM

True, I am such a woose about pain, but labor is so different.

sillyp October 23rd, 2008 06:25 AM

That's kind of similar to how my labor with DD was. In the beginning I thought oh man I am in for a ride, but as I got further along in my labor it was easier to focus and it wasn't really painful anymore at all.
:)
THanks for sharing!

ShaunaB October 23rd, 2008 09:30 AM

Thanks for sharing that. It goes to show that when you focus and concentrate on what you have to do, you can do it. Your mind, your emotions play such a huge role in how you handle things.

Husher October 24th, 2008 04:57 AM

That really is true! I thought when I was in transition that there was no way I was going to make it through the rest of labor but once it came time to push I was able to focus all of my energy on that and I honestly don't even remember there being pain during pushing other than the ring of fire. Thank you for sharing!

Jen84 October 27th, 2008 11:05 AM

Wow that is amazing! I am a newbie to this area of JM, but really want to learn as much about this as possible before I conceive. Thanks for sharing !!!

~Jackie October 30th, 2008 01:26 PM

That's true in a lot of aspects of life. Such as: I'm a wuss for sticking up for myself, but the Mama Bear comes out when it needs to for the defense of my family's lifestyle/parenting.

Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy October 30th, 2008 02:29 PM

That's true, thanks for sharing!

moon~maiden October 30th, 2008 03:40 PM

"Such as: I'm a wuss for sticking up for myself, but the Mama Bear comes out when it needs to for the defense of my family's lifestyle/parenting."

I am SUCH a mama bear!