JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Doulas and BTDT mom's ---can you regress? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1414911-doulas-and-btdt-mom-s-can-you-regress.html)

eholdhusen January 29th, 2009 10:05 AM

I'm at the point in this pregnancy that I am fully convinced the baby is never coming. Desperation is kicking in and I'm feeling a little hopeless...that's my preface because I'm sure I sound a little crazy right now but....

Is it common to regress at this point? I am 4.5 cm dilated (not in labor and very few contractions) and 80% effaced. I left my MW yesterday overjoyed with the progress. The last thing she said was, "I'll probably see you tonight or tomorrow in L&D" We thought I was ready to go... but NOTHING.

So, here's the question---do women regress with dilating? Is that possible? Could I go in tomorrow and only be 2cm dilated? I know it sounds crazy but I just can't comprehend how I'm that advanced with NO signs of active labor in sight.

Thanks for any and all input

Husher January 29th, 2009 10:28 AM

It actually is possible to regress but worrying about it actually won't help you at all. I know it's harder said than done but try to relax and perhaps take a long hot bath. I agree that you are likely to go into active labor any minute now but your body likely still needs these last hours to prepare itself. Usually a sudden fear or anxiety is what causes a regression but anxiety in general can keep the body from naturally progressing on it's own. That being said, way to go on already being 4.5 cm and not having much discomfort!! You're already halfway there!! :excited:

NutMeg76 January 29th, 2009 10:44 AM

Relax! That is the most important thing to do. I was reading about prodromal/latent labor last night and on one of the websites where midvices share ideas the majority of them said the best thing to do is havwe a glass of wine or a beer and rest as much as possible. One suggested benadryl, but I don't think that is any 'safer' then a glass of wine by the time you are in the third trimester.

It is possible to regress, but doesn't happen often and is mostly associated with pushing too soon and causing the cervix to swell.

Kelllilee January 29th, 2009 10:56 AM

like others said, regression CAN happen, but it's not common and usually happens during labor when mom is stressed.

It's not uncommon to not really have "early" labor. With both of my girls I was around 4cm before labor ever started, but generally once I got there labor started within a day or two

Hope you have your baby in your arms soon!

nvr.4.gtn January 29th, 2009 12:12 PM

I have nothing to add about it but good luck and your baby will be with you very soon

TheOtherMichelle January 29th, 2009 04:39 PM

I just read one of Ina May Gaskin's books where she talked about regressing, and it's in situations where the mom feels stressed and unsafe.

I agree, just relax as much as you can, and trust your body. It's great that you are 4.5 cm, you're almost halfway there with very little contractions!