JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Not a happy birthday (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1529193-not-happy-birthday.html)

andi2284 April 20th, 2009 09:44 PM

Not a happy birthday

This article talks about birth rape, but also has some very positive information on out-of-hospital births.

Not a happy birthday - The F-Word

mgm78 April 21st, 2009 04:57 AM

Re: Not a happy birthday

:o

WhoaMomma! April 21st, 2009 05:40 AM

If my husband just stood there and "whispered soothing words" I would punch him in the face. That's horrible

moon~maiden April 21st, 2009 07:16 AM

that's a pretty hard core article! It could have easily been written by my friend/ ex roommate, who used to bring up subjects like female genital mutilation at parties.

andi2284 April 21st, 2009 07:22 AM

I knew that doctors occasionally did procedures without a woman's consent in labor, but I didn't know it went that far. It's so sad some women have to go through that. :(

moon~maiden April 21st, 2009 07:25 AM

it IS. And a midwife, at that. *sigh*

makes me appreciate the choices I made even more.

.adi. April 21st, 2009 07:42 AM

I'm glad my man takes my feeling more into account than that guy!! How sad that women are actually treated like that!

sillyp April 21st, 2009 08:15 AM

What a terrible experience, I can't imagine how traumatized she actually felt.
It is very sad that this continues to happen to women; however, makes me glad to have done all my research, educating myself on my choices and stood my ground on my decisions. I'm very grateful to have had such good birthing experiences with my last 2 children. Luckily for me, since my 1st was a terrible experience, I used that to change my future experiences.

This kind of reminds me of a story a woman I work with had with her daughter - only child due to her experience. Every time she asked a question the nurses would tell her "you'll find out what it is later" and because she kept on and on they ended up "knocking her out" with some sort of medication and she woke up and they had performed a c section on her. Granted this was back in the 70's, still a horrifying story.

Husher April 21st, 2009 08:50 AM

Wow. That breaks my heart. :( How terrible!

liveandlove0725 April 21st, 2009 08:59 AM

OMG that makes me sick!

NutMeg76 April 21st, 2009 09:04 AM

Wow, thanks for posting this. I often feel like I was violated during Evie's birth. Yes, I warded off the epidural and was able to avoid a c-section, but the doctor did bully me a bit. Not to that extenet, but enough to make me feel like he was a jerk.

When he ruptured my membranes he put an internal monitor on Evie, without asking. After she was delivered he reached in and checked my uterus to see if it was ruptured. All he said before was, 'she's not going to like this.' That is the part that reall ymade me feel violated. No other doctor did that with my previous VBAC's. It make sme angry to this day. I think he really wanted to jsut get back at me for not scheduling a c-section. Bleh.

I am soooo glad I have providers that I can trust this time. I know a woman from the ICAN list that saw them for her VBAC, she drove over an hour so they could deliver her baby, and all she has is good things to say about them. I wish I had listened to her when I was pregnant with Eve and switched to them for her birth.

ShaunaB April 21st, 2009 10:56 AM

Wow, what a disturbing article! While I hope this is an extreme, I do regret that any woman would be made to feel "raped" to any extent during their birth. I really do believe that the NCB movement isn't really about natural, med-free birth, it's about educating women and giving them their confidence and power back.

andi2284 April 21st, 2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

This kind of reminds me of a story a woman I work with had with her daughter - only child due to her experience. Every time she asked a question the nurses would tell her "you'll find out what it is later" and because she kept on and on they ended up "knocking her out" with some sort of medication and she woke up and they had performed a c section on her. Granted this was back in the 70's, still a horrifying story.

Sadly, it sounds like that was very common at that time :(

New_England_Girl April 21st, 2009 01:51 PM

Even if I was in the middle of labor, I would completely strangle that woman!!! It makes me so mad that things like this happen, and even angrier that women are expected to be quiet and take it. Why are they allowed to get away with that but we're not allowed to beat them with a stethoscope after?

Momof4Boyz April 21st, 2009 03:54 PM

That's horrible!!! I would divorce if my husband didn't step in and stop something like that!

TheOtherMichelle April 22nd, 2009 08:48 AM

This site linked to that one and the stories are even worse. .:(

More Than a Traumatic Birth : TrueBirth.com

mgm78 April 22nd, 2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle (Post 15483573)
This site linked to that one and the stories are even worse. .:(

More Than a Traumatic Birth : TrueBirth.com

I had to stop reading the comments, they were upsetting me too much :( It is very telling when a woman says, I was raped, and then I was birth raped and the birth rape was more traumatic. :eek: :( :(

TheOtherMichelle April 23rd, 2009 08:48 AM

^^I know, and I think there were 3 women who said that.

GranolaMamaOf3 April 24th, 2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! (Post 15462383)
If my husband just stood there and "whispered soothing words" I would punch him in the face. That's horrible

I was thinking the same thing...Why didn't he stand up for her?!