JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Question for all you natural mama's (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1553498-question-for-all-you-natural-mamas.html)

Mom4Life_11 May 8th, 2009 02:01 PM

Question for all you natural mama's

How do you feel about this group B strep and the antibiotics they give you (or whatever it is that they give you) I had it but didn't know anything about it. they just told me they were giving it as I was positive and that is could harm my child. :huh:

Martina May 8th, 2009 02:12 PM

Re: Question for all you natural mama's

I was positive with my first 2, and didnt have antibiotics, you dont have to have them, but you need to educate yourself about it before you go into labour and then you choose what you want, nobody can force you to have anything you dont want to have.

Mom4Life_11 May 8th, 2009 02:19 PM

I had no clue what they were talking about and I wasn't due so they did the test and were going crazy over it and I had no clue what was going on other than a baby was coming...KWIM?

nvr.4.gtn May 8th, 2009 02:46 PM

I have not researched it personally as I was negative with Nichole. So I would have to look into it if I found out I had it... but from the little I know (and i mean little) I would give it

DoulaMama May 8th, 2009 02:50 PM

I will likely decline them if I come up positive. I plan to ask about prevention at my first appt.

Mom4Life_11 May 8th, 2009 04:50 PM

Let us know what they tell you about prevention please. If you don't mind.

LindensMommy May 8th, 2009 04:53 PM

I didn't know the results of my test, so I was given antibiotics. My son was in the hospital for a week afterwards, he had jaundice but they kept him on antibiotics every 4 hours for 6 days because they weren't sure whether he had an infection. Finally the 6th day, they found out he didn't have it. I didn't mind having the antibiotics during labor, I already had a saline IV.

DoulaMama May 8th, 2009 05:16 PM

I will certainly share anything I hear about prevention.

Kelllilee May 8th, 2009 06:29 PM

I will not be getting tested. Basically you have a VERY VERY slim chance of passing it on to your baby, and of those who get it, very few have serious complications from it, but it does happen. Another thing to keep in mind that testing positive one day doesn't mean you'll have it at delivery and testing negative doesn't mean you WON"T have it at delivery. There's no real way to tell for sure.

Here's treatment info from my midwife:
options are:
1. antibiotics during delivery
2. oral antibiotics taken the last few weeks of pregnancy up until labor starts
3. Alternative treatments (herbs and homeopathic)
4. Chlorhexidine (surgical wash proven effective against strep) used as a vaginal lubricant during delivery

no details on the herbal remedies (I'm sure she'd go over them if the situation came up).

^RaineDrop^ May 8th, 2009 06:33 PM

I was told that you could put some raw garlic up there and let it sit for a couple minutes and that is supposed to neutralize the infection or something or other.. Maybe someone here can clarify that??

andi2284 May 8th, 2009 06:58 PM

I was positive with my first so I did some reasearch on it when I was pregnant with my second. Antibiotics aren't necessary although most doctors push them or don't even give you the choice. You can deny them if you want to though, if you feel it's unneccesary. Through my research, I decided I would not get antibiotics in labor if I was positive. There are natural remedies you can try to prevent it and my midwives offered other options like HibiClens as a vaginal rinse in labor.

From my research, I found the risk of baby developing an infection from it was very low. You can also easily spot an infection in a baby, especially if you know what signs to look for, so you can treat it. If you are trying a waterbirth, they think the water might wash away any bad bacteria as the baby comes out, preventing infection. There are certain risks factors that can make it more likely that you'll pass it onto baby, such as preterm labor and your water breaking early in labor. You have to also keep in mind that there are risks with taking the antibiotics, so that's something to weigh when making your decision. Here's a website with some information on antibiotics in labor and herbel alternatives for treatment (at the bottom): Birthsong Childbirth Education & Support Services - Gbs

I found a lot of conflicting information, including statistics on the numbers of babies affected. The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth had really good information. The information I found on the internet was iffy, mostly quoted from the same website so it can be hard to sift through that. Look at everything, all of the options and alternatives to antibiotics and make your decision after that.

ambee May 8th, 2009 07:20 PM

Grace was 6 weeks early and came very quickly and unexpectedly. They gave me the antibiodics as a precaution and to tell you the truth at the time I didn't even think about it. It doesn't bother me though. I take antibiodics when I get sick and will probably give Grace the same when she's sick so it wasn't an issue for me.

**Jenn** May 8th, 2009 08:04 PM

I was negative with my first so I didn't even think to research it when I was pregnant with my second. I did turn out to be positive with my second and got the antibiotics. I forget what I actually got since I'm allergic to penicillan. I don't mind the antibiotics and once they were run through I was detatched from the IV and left to do what I wanted. I'm actually glad the IV was put in place because I had some complications following delivery and needed one. If I hadn't gotten the antibiotics the IV wouldn't have been done. I am NOT good with needles and that would have been the worst time for my midwife to try and get an IV in place.

Twhylite21 May 8th, 2009 10:15 PM

I was negative so I didn't worry about it during labor/delivery. However, I did worry about it before the test and found some info online (and I think Sarah (GrowBabyGrow) mentioned it back then as well) about using Hibiclens to wash for a week before your test and then when you go into labor as it kills all the bacteria.

I kinda think the test is stupid since you can test positive for it but then be negative when you deliver, and vice versa. I would most likely decline the antibiotics if I did test positive and just be aware of all the warning signs to look for.

Peace.Love.Pepsi May 8th, 2009 10:42 PM

I was positive.
My son came SO fast they didnt even have time to get me an IV. He never had antibiotics afterwords. In fact at almost 2, hes never had anything antibiotic other then a cream for a rash on his scrotum. He didnt get anything from me.
I would refuse the antibiotics personally. I had been planning on it, but he came so fast lol.

Mom4Life_11 May 9th, 2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aburroughs (Post 15734923)
Grace was 6 weeks early and came very quickly and unexpectedly. They gave me the antibiodics as a precaution and to tell you the truth at the time I didn't even think about it. It doesn't bother me though. I take antibiodics when I get sick and will probably give Grace the same when she's sick so it wasn't an issue for me.

That's how I feel. I take antibiotics when I am sick and so do my children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twhylite21 (Post 15736668)
I was negative so I didn't worry about it during labor/delivery. However, I did worry about it before the test and found some info online (and I think Sarah (GrowBabyGrow) mentioned it back then as well) about using Hibiclens to wash for a week before your test and then when you go into labor as it kills all the bacteria.

I kinda think the test is stupid since you can test positive for it but then be negative when you deliver, and vice versa. I would most likely decline the antibiotics if I did test positive and just be aware of all the warning signs to look for.

I was positive and had no warning signs just to let you know. :)

Martina May 9th, 2009 09:24 AM

there are no warning signs for GBS, it is just a test, and I agree dumb one for that matter because as pp said you might be positive at the time of the test but negative at birth, and other way around.
warning signs during labour when some people choose to give antibiotics are prolonged labour, water broken for a long time, fever etc. some people believe it increases chance of baby getting the infection, and then if baby gets infected there are signs you can watch for in your baby, but the chances of the baby catching it are sooooooo very small.

New_England_Girl May 9th, 2009 09:30 AM

All they give you is penicillin...I really don't see the big deal. I tested positive 3 days before Cassidy was born, and received the medication. I take it when I have ear/sinus infections, and I don't see the difference. If Cassidy was sick I'd give it to her!

mgm78 May 9th, 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ^RaineDrop^ (Post 15734398)
I was told that you could put some raw garlic up there and let it sit for a couple minutes and that is supposed to neutralize the infection or something or other.. Maybe someone here can clarify that??

I have only heard that for yeast infections.

I have my test in a week+ and would probably get the antibiotics if i was positive, though would discuss it with the midwife and possibly the pediatrician beforehand. All I cared about was, if i need them, can i still deliver at the birth center, and they said yes, so i was happy ;) The IV is pennicillin?

Martina May 9th, 2009 09:53 AM

for me personally, we dont use antibiotics, we treat pretty much everything naturally (yes we would use antibiotics if there was no natural way around it), so for me it was very important to avoid antibiotics or any drugs in labour. Many people dont use antibiotics, so that is why they choose to skip antibiotics in labour. Dont use it for myself, why would I pump the newborn with antibiotics kwim?? PERSONAL