JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Slight concern... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1572782-slight-concern.html)

BoobyDutyAgainJen May 24th, 2009 12:23 PM

Slight concern...

Hi! My name is Jen...I have lurked here often since before my daughter Leila was born and even have posted a couple of times. I have had two previous births. My birth daughter I had an epidural and an induction due to PIH. I was 17 at the time and it honestly was all for the best at the time. My daughter Leila was also an induction due to gestational diabetes...they were estimating her size as between 9 and 10 pounds and the diabetes was not controlled that well even with 4 times a day shots of insulin and diet control. I delivered all 9 pounds 9 ounces of her without any pain meds at all and was and still am very proud of that fact.:D

Anyway my concern is with the delivery this time. I honestly had an easy easy easy labor and delivery with Leila. Inspite of no pain meds at all I never felt out of control or really in any pain that I couldn't handle until transition. Even then I still felt great! I knew my body could do it and just allowed it to do its work. I read a lot and was very prepared but really felt like things just flowed to a rhythym I cannot explain. I am just so worried that things won't go this way with the delivery of my son in about 8 weeks. I don't feel as prepared as I did with Leila, I don't feel as capable, or that things will go in any way similar. I of course know that my body can and will do this and the fact that I am delivering in a freestanding birth center will help me along in my NCB goal. However I just want and am hoping for the nice and easy delivery I had with Leila.

Any suggestions, words of wisdom, stories of similar situations and success with it, anything at all would be appreciated.:) I just feel so unprepared for something that is literally right around the corner...

nvr.4.gtn May 24th, 2009 12:58 PM

Re: Slight concern...

well welcome out of lurkdom! lol

I have no adivce as Nichole was an induced (though she was REALLY over due) but I had no interest in an unmedicated birth. So I had the epidural. I did not want pain drugs though as they make me loopy. Epi, oh I signed up for that long before labor lol.
But you are right you can do this.. I am not sure how prepared one can be even after doing if once or twice or how ever many times. We just don't know what will happen and how we feel kinda thing.

moon~maiden May 24th, 2009 01:35 PM

Well if you've done it before you've got experience on your side!! What could be better than that?

My suggestions are: read Ina May's guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. Watch the Business of Being Born. Are you keeping fit? Cardio is highly suggested to get you prepared for labor. The Bradley Method book is awesome and there is a great chapter for your birth partner.

andi2284 May 24th, 2009 01:56 PM

Welcome!

It sounds like you are well prepared, you just need to prepare yourself for it mentally. I think I was scared of labor, even after it started, because I just had a hard time mentally preparing myself for it. Maybe it was the unkown that scared me, but I just went with the flow and it all worked out. I'm sure you will be fine, especially since you have the opportunity to go to a freestanding birth center. Midwives at those tend to be very willing to work with you and help you through labor.

moon~maiden May 24th, 2009 03:05 PM

I assume the birth center will have a tub for you to labor in. Being in the warm water is extremely effective pain management.

BoobyDutyAgainJen May 24th, 2009 03:31 PM

^^^There is a tub and I plan to use it if I can! I am such a water person that it really makes sense to labor in the water.

I really just don't feel like the mentality is there for me like it was with Leila. I was not scared of labor with her at all. I was really terrified I wasn't going to be able to breastfeed though lol. Nearly 18 months later and still going strong there! I imagine I should really work on just focusing on the positives and getting the mental images of I can do it up.

NutMeg76 May 24th, 2009 04:09 PM

For me reading other women's birth stories helps me get prepared. Journey Into Motherhood is a good book, all natural birth stories. Or just go up and read the NCB stories here in the forum. That works great for me to get me back into the mentality of NCB.

moon~maiden May 25th, 2009 08:15 AM

try our mantra - "TRUST BIRTH"

LadyLuck May 25th, 2009 09:19 PM

you can do it, Jen ;)

and if it makes you feel better, I had way more doubts and what-ifs with Evan than I ever had with Irelyn and I still had an amazing NCB.