JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   the clock is now running... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/1836246-clock-now-running.html)

stlgirl January 13th, 2010 10:19 AM

the clock is now running...
 
Well, as of yesterday evening, I have a date set for induction. :(

I had my NST and AFI (non stress test and fluid level check) and though my BP is great and baby is moving around and getting heart rate accelerations just as he/she should, my fluid levels were REALLY low (5.68!!!) and baby is measuring a little on the small side. I'm lucky they didn't send me up to L&D right after my appointment! I went over to my OB's office after I left the Perinatal unit, and she checked me and I'm only at 1cm and 30% effaced, and baby is still way up high, not at all engaged. So between that and the fluid levels, she isn't convinced I'm going to go into labor on my own or that baby's head will fit in my pelvis, and also feels she can't let me get past 41 weeks, so I am on the books for going in sometime on Monday to get IV pitocin, with C-section as a distinct possibility if I don't have good contractions.

I know I should keep things in perspective and be happy...the end is in sight and we'll get to meet our LO soon...but I have worked so hard for a natural birth, and been doing everything in my power to be healthy and to bring on labor, and it just all seems to be falling apart in front of my eyes, and I can't help but be terribly frustrated, scared and depressed... :cry:


mgm78 January 13th, 2010 11:10 AM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
((((hugs)))) try to stay relaxed and focussed and do some imagery on the baby engaging, contractions starting, cervix dialating, etc

moon~maiden January 13th, 2010 12:32 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
:( I'm sorry.

Gobaby1 January 13th, 2010 12:37 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
That is what happened to me, almost exactly... except I did get sent right over to L&D. Fluids were a 3.5, he couldn't handle contractions... but no matter what... he got here safe and sound and yours will too! And that is a big difference in fluid levels so hopefully you'll have enough to protect the cord... they were still debating me, granted mine went way of a section, it probably wouldn't have w/just a little more fluid!!!
I'm sending you all my ELV's I never used, so you should have plenty! ;)

Devan'sMama January 13th, 2010 12:53 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
I'm having flashbacks to my labor as well. I'm so so sorry that you're going through this. :( I was in full labor for 2 days but my cervix stopped dilating at 4cm so they did a NST on Devan and my fluids were at a 3. :( They induced me with pitocin since I was already in labor but it was the worst decision ever. I was scared that if I walked away, my insurance wouldn't cover me since I would be going against medical advice. Next time, I'll have the guts to actually speak up for myself and my baby before getting pitocin. I really hope that you can get the NCB that you worked really hard for but just know that if it doesn't happen, you're not a bad mama at all. Hugs.

NutMeg76 January 13th, 2010 03:01 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
There is no way you could have them check the levels again before induction? Your levels are low, but still within the normal range. Did they give you information on how to get the fluid levels up?

If you and baby are both fine, the NST is good and you can get the fluid levels to increase, then is there really a need for the induction and all the risks associated with it?

TheOtherMichelle January 13th, 2010 04:04 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
:dothug:

stlgirl January 13th, 2010 06:00 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NutMeg76 (Post 18651921)
There is no way you could have them check the levels again before induction? Your levels are low, but still within the normal range. Did they give you information on how to get the fluid levels up?

If you and baby are both fine, the NST is good and you can get the fluid levels to increase, then is there really a need for the induction and all the risks associated with it?

I have a follow-up NST and fluid level check Friday morning. If things are significantly improved, I'm probably going to call OB and try to talk her out of the induction. I had ALREADY been drinking water like a fish (my urine has been basically clear for weeks now and I have basically no swelling at all, both signs that dehydration is NOT the problem) but on the advice of my Doula, I'm upping water even more (seriously going to float away...) and I also am upping my dosage of blue and black cohosh and starting to use EPO internally as well as just swallowing the gel caps 3x daily. Got my THIRD labor induction treatment from my acupuncturist this afternoon, too, and continue to walk on the treadmill and stay on my feet as much as possible. I feel like there isn't a whole lot else I can do at this point other than keep my fingers crossed and hope that a) my levels are much better on Friday and/or b) I go into labor on my own sometime before Monday morning.

It doesn't help things that my OB is going out of town Wed-Friday of next week. I know that's why she is pushing for induction on Monday. So, I do certainly have the option of saying thanks but no thanks, and risking it with the other OB in this practice (who I haven't ever met but have heard doesn't have nearly as good a rep for natural births) if I end up needing an induction sometime later in the week. I am very torn about that and think I'll probably put off making a final decision until I know how my fluids are looking on Friday.

sassytiff January 13th, 2010 06:12 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
Hello, I have been a lurker on this board for several months now. When I was pregnant with my 3rd my fluid levels were low and I had to be induced at 39 wks. They gave me the cervadil "tea bag" instead of starting me on pitocin right away and I ended up going into labor on my own just 5 hrs after they put the cervadil in. They removed the cervadil and about 5 hrs later she was born with no other meds necessary. In my book I still consider it to be an NCB. Just wanted to share with you that not all inductions end in non natural outcomes. :) Good Luck!

PinkFireFly January 13th, 2010 06:19 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgirl (Post 18647160)
Well, as of yesterday evening, I have a date set for induction. :(


I had my NST and AFI (non stress test and fluid level check) and though my BP is great and baby is moving around and getting heart rate accelerations just as he/she should, my fluid levels were REALLY low (5.68!!!) and baby is measuring a little on the small side. I'm lucky they didn't send me up to L&D right after my appointment! I went over to my OB's office after I left the Perinatal unit, and she checked me and I'm only at 1cm and 30% effaced, and baby is still way up high, not at all engaged. So between that and the fluid levels, she isn't convinced I'm going to go into labor on my own or that baby's head will fit in my pelvis, and also feels she can't let me get past 41 weeks, so I am on the books for going in sometime on Monday to get IV pitocin, with C-section as a distinct possibility if I don't have good contractions.


I know I should keep things in perspective and be happy...the end is in sight and we'll get to meet our LO soon...but I have worked so hard for a natural birth, and been doing everything in my power to be healthy and to bring on labor, and it just all seems to be falling apart in front of my eyes, and I can't help but be terribly frustrated, scared and depressed... :cry:



I am sorry you are going through this but as the ladies have said as long as your LO gets here safely and you two are healthy thats all that matters. I had such high high hopes for my NCB that when I got my epidural all I could do was cry and repeat "I failed Noelle" it was such an emotional labor for me and still to this day is very emotional for me...

I can't remember who said it here, but I have NCB in my heart no matter what and so do you! And remember "Trust Birth" trust your body, heart, mind, and soul and you will have a wonderful labor and healthy baby no matter what. I remind myself everyday that yet I didn't get my complete NCB I got most of it as natural as possible and a healthy baby and it has made me a stronger person.

Going through labor and delivery the way I did has given me such an experience I will never forget it. I too didn't want Pitocin and ended up getting it, I wasn't producing contractions but my water had broken... I went over 12 hours on Pitocin with pain meds and was maxed out on it for several hours... I got an epidural for roughly 2hrs and had Noelle... No matter what happens we are here for you as a shoulder to cry or vent on... but remember you can do this and have faith.

I don't know what your dosage is for EPO but the week of my water breaking I upped my oral dosage to 3000mg, was doing squatting on birthing ball, vaccuming, treadmill, and walking stairs. I had also started with eating fresh pineapple, mango, and papaya like they were going out of business....

cheezpoofs January 13th, 2010 06:36 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
I hope your fluid levels are good on Friday or that baby decides to be born before Monday (or both!). :dothug:

sodagirl January 13th, 2010 08:00 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
Big Big Big hugs!! I agree - even if you have to be induced you could still have a NCB. I would totally ask about the cervadil first before starting pitocin. I also don't understand why they are worried you baby won't fit through your pelvis - I mean from what I have read unless you suffered some pelvic trauma or childhood bone stunting disease the chance of the baby not fitting is super super low! Honestly I think it's a dumb doctor theory for why stuff doesn't work exactly how they expect it too. You aren't going to grow a baby your body can't birth - your body know what it's doing!!!
Ok - sending happy labour vibes and big hugs. Follow your instincts - you have your natural birth in your heart - give yourself the permission to do whatever you need to do to have a good labour - be it all natural , part natural or more medical.

LadyCoconut January 13th, 2010 09:04 PM

Re: the clock is now running...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgirl (Post 18654019)
I have a follow-up NST and fluid level check Friday morning. If things are significantly improved, I'm probably going to call OB and try to talk her out of the induction. I had ALREADY been drinking water like a fish (my urine has been basically clear for weeks now and I have basically no swelling at all, both signs that dehydration is NOT the problem) but on the advice of my Doula, I'm upping water even more (seriously going to float away...) and I also am upping my dosage of blue and black cohosh and starting to use EPO internally as well as just swallowing the gel caps 3x daily. Got my THIRD labor induction treatment from my acupuncturist this afternoon, too, and continue to walk on the treadmill and stay on my feet as much as possible. I feel like there isn't a whole lot else I can do at this point other than keep my fingers crossed and hope that a) my levels are much better on Friday and/or b) I go into labor on my own sometime before Monday morning.

It doesn't help things that my OB is going out of town Wed-Friday of next week. I know that's why she is pushing for induction on Monday. So, I do certainly have the option of saying thanks but no thanks, and risking it with the other OB in this practice (who I haven't ever met but have heard doesn't have nearly as good a rep for natural births) if I end up needing an induction sometime later in the week. I am very torn about that and think I'll probably put off making a final decision until I know how my fluids are looking on Friday.


I totally feel for you, you're in a tough spot. You certainly seem to be doing everything you can to help your body get ready for your birthing time. I hope that your fluids go up on Friday AND that you go into your birthing time over the weekend before Monday's possible induction. It sucks your OB is going out of town, I can understand why you'd be concerned with going with someone else... if you're going to wind up with an induction either way - it may as well be with YOUR doctor. *sigh* Tough spot. :grouphug: It really sucks when we get down to crunch time and have to make these kind of decisions that our body should just make naturally. It's hard to know what the right thing is to do. Hang in there.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.