JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Did you use a Doula or take any classes? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2086168-did-you-use-doula-take-any-classes.html)

FusionGirl August 27th, 2010 02:07 PM

Did you use a Doula or take any classes?

What classes did you take to help you get through labor naturally. Did you use a Doula? Or did you just do a bunch of research and go for it?

sara~b August 27th, 2010 02:38 PM

Re: Did you use a Doula or take any classes?

I hired a doula and did a bunch of research. Mostly I just winged it.

mgm78 August 27th, 2010 04:06 PM

i took the birthing class at my birth center and had a doula.

missmich August 27th, 2010 05:30 PM

Well I'm not quite done yet,so I still have time to learn as much as I can until my little man arrives.

I do have a doula who's taught me so much and helped me come up with ideas for my birth plan. She told me about some choice I had no idea that I could even make. Did you know that it might be possible for the mama to cut the cord? I didn't.

I've tons of research on the net and have visited a few forums and asked lots of questions and right now I'm reading some different birth stories. Both mainstream hospital births and more natural births. I want to know what different types of births are like so I can be more prepared when it's my turn.

I did take 2 classes that were 2 hours each. They were taught by a lactation consultant who was a former nurse and midwife from The Uk. I learned the basics of birth and what happens,some breathing and pushing positions,massage and what pain meds are available and the pros and cons of each.

I'm feeling a lot more prepared but I'm still scared and not to sure what will happen or what options I'll end up choosing,but at least I have a clear idea of what could happen and I'm very confident that my doula will help me get through it all.

greeneyes August 27th, 2010 09:21 PM

I had a doula and Lee and I studied Hypnobabies. I think the material you study can vary alot based on personal preference so it's hard to make a recommendation one way or another there, but I would recommend a doula to anyone. She was absolutely essential and worth her weight in gold. :2thumbsup:

moon~maiden August 28th, 2010 10:45 AM

for #1 I had a doula and we took a holistic natural childbirth class taught by her, it was great. Both were very helpful. For #2 I did the hypnobabies home study and we had a home birth, so I did not hire a doula.

Army_Wife August 28th, 2010 11:50 AM

I mostly just winged it. I did some research, and I got the Hypnobabies home study course but decided it wasn't for me. I only made it thru 2 weeks of it. There aren't any doulas in my area or I would've considered that. I basically just decided to trust my body and pray for the best. Thank God it worked out! LOL! And I had a really wonderful NCB-friendly nurse with me during delivery, so I kind of lucked out there. She hardly left my side.

ChicaChels August 28th, 2010 02:33 PM

with Brylie : took Bradley and no doula - pretty successful :) i had an amazing nurse as well, no pain meds after 20 hours on Pit...awesome midwife

with bebo : I have a doula hired already, and then I am going to be teaching Bradley so I guess I'm eternally taking a class :rofl: same awesome midwife...awesome brand new hospital that my midwife told me via email last night she is going to be starting a waterbirth protocol so i will get my waterbirth :party:

Tiff802 August 28th, 2010 02:47 PM

Just researched a ton, read a couple of good books, read tons of natural birth stories, watched tons of natural births on youtube and took the Hypnobabies Home Study Course.

lulumama August 28th, 2010 05:49 PM

Haven't had our baby yet but we decided on a doula and a Bradley class, plus I've read a lot of books on my own.

Vandertramp August 28th, 2010 10:00 PM

For #1 we took the full Bradley Course (no Doula) and were successful. I though especially as a first time mom it was very informative, and I felt like I went into labor and delievery very well informed and prepared.

This time we hired a doula (the one thing I reget not doing with my 1st) since we could not find a Bradley refresher in are area we did a Birthing from Within Course.

HappyHippy August 29th, 2010 09:12 PM

I really didn't do anything. I'm a childbirth educator myself so I already know the speaches, the research, the pros and cons etc. And I didn't have a Doula because I had a Midwife and she had an assistant and they both acted more like Doulas because Dh and I wanted to do most of the stuff ourselves but have another pair of eyes there. I do think having a close relationship with a Doula is a good idea, and if you can find a good class on NCB that is good also and really helps.