JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Did you use a doula? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2125726-did-you-use-doula.html)

BobbityBoo October 7th, 2010 12:23 PM

Did you use a doula?

Pick one that fits best and feel free to explain!

greeneyes October 7th, 2010 12:35 PM

Re: Did you use a doula?

Yes, and she was amazing! We are currently interviewing doulas for this baby's birth as well. :)

BobbityBoo October 7th, 2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeneyes (Post 21766234)
Yes, and she was amazing! We are currently interviewing doulas for this baby's birth as well. :)

Why don't you use the same one? Did you move or is she not available this time around?

mgm78 October 7th, 2010 01:36 PM

Yes and I would again as well!

greeneyes October 7th, 2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobittyBoo (Post 21766397)
Why don't you use the same one? Did you move or is she not available this time around?

She's in Texas and I'm in North Carolina. Despite that, we actually did briefly talk about flying her out here, haha!

Kelllilee October 7th, 2010 02:01 PM

with my first two I didn't use a doula and did fine. With my third I didn't use a doula and wish I had.

oriel13 October 7th, 2010 02:29 PM

With my first I didn't and wished I had. With my 2nd I did and will not birth without one if we have more!

QueenCrafty October 7th, 2010 04:55 PM

I did fine without. I knew it wasn't in the budget to get one, but with labor so quick I doubt one would have made it in time

alicenwonderland October 7th, 2010 05:23 PM

Yes, she somehow got me through my 30 hour labor.

bostoncreampie October 7th, 2010 06:16 PM

nope, did fine without! the idea does not appeal to me.

Sk8ermaiden October 7th, 2010 07:38 PM

No, and I did fine without. If my husband or midwife were different I could have seen the need, and I definitely see the need for someone to take care of him and give him breaks, but my mom did that. Next time it will probably be my best friend. But my husband is amazing. My midwives (and the nurses at the hospital after we transferred) could not stop talking about how great he was! He stole the show!

Jule'sMomInOR October 7th, 2010 08:07 PM

I used a student doula. She was great. I'll probably hire her next time if she's available.

ETA: I probably would have been fine without her, but I was definitely more comfortable with her. She thought of things my DH didn't, like a cold towel to put over my face and reminded the hospital staff of my birth plan at critical moments. I have no family nearby or I probably could have used my mom or sister to do the same thing.

lunarmagic October 7th, 2010 08:51 PM

I didn't either time because of my husband's objections, he took a Bradley class to learn how to support me. And even *he* was not necessary. I have quick, easy labors and I totally zone out and ignore everyone and everything. I labored, he watched TV. LOL!

Vandertramp October 8th, 2010 07:29 AM

Not with our first, but we wished we had so we hired one very early on for #2.

sara~b October 8th, 2010 08:12 AM

I didn't with Gemma but I had no clue about NCB, etc. With Ash I did hire one but ended up with her back up (who I liked better). My major issue was that even my doula started pushing me to get an epidural. I would have been better off with just my DH at that point. He knew I could do without pain meds and was the only one who stuck up for me! If we ever do it again I think we'll be doing a lot of things differently including not hiring a doula. The only thing I really liked about having her was that she talked to me and kept videos playing on my laptop while my DH was napping.

HappyHippy October 8th, 2010 09:20 AM

No, and I did fine. I had 2 Midwives, a very supportive DH and mom though.

AmandaEliz October 8th, 2010 10:03 AM

Yep & I'm glad we did. She helped DH help me with the back labor. She also recognized that I was in transition & got the nurse to check me when I didn't think it was possible I had progressed from 5cm to 10cm so quickly (about 15-20 mins).

moon~maiden October 8th, 2010 02:34 PM

I said other. I did have one the first time and she was a HUGE help. She was before the birth too.

For my second we did not have one officially, because we had a homebirth and my midwife had several assistants BUT my friend ended up being at the house when I went into labor so I ended up with one any way. She was fantastic. My husband tends to take a big backseat when I am in labor, not sure why.

BobbityBoo October 11th, 2010 10:37 AM

I answered: No, did fine without. For the way I labor and how DH is, I felt confident not needing one. I think if DH and I had our first child together in the hospital I would have wanted one, but my first one was with my mom as my coach and she is really well informed and I trusted her. Plus we got to the hospital just in time for Kaily to be born, like 15 mins later! With my other births my mom was my DH's back up if he got tired, but otherwise I was confident in what I wanted and how to get it.

Hollybear October 12th, 2010 09:44 AM

Yes, and she was amazing. I wish doulas were standard with birthing, like nurses (well in a hospital setting) we will definitely use one next time!