JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   placenta encapsulation (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2128860-placenta-encapsulation.html)

horseradishmayo October 11th, 2010 09:55 AM

placenta encapsulation

i know i want this done. has anyone done this themselves? or did you have your doula or someone else do it? i have access to a food dehydrator so i think i could do it myself. or am i crazy for thinking this? :)

BobbityBoo October 11th, 2010 10:39 AM

Re: placenta encapsulation

I totally would have done it myself if everyone around wasn't totally grossed out by it! :lol:

I wanted to do it for the breastfeeding element and eventually decided that I could find other herbs and things to help with my supply. I think if you are wanting it for the PPD element it is totally worth it!

monica8 October 11th, 2010 10:43 AM

I think it'd be awesome. I might get it done, it depends what it entails. The hospital made me feel crazy for even wanting to see the placenta. Haha you have a lot of good questions lately.

NewMama06 October 11th, 2010 11:00 AM

I wanted to do this, but my DH is EXTREMELY squeamish. We had to sneak it out of the hospital, and we just froze it and when we moved, I planted it in our garden under a new rose bush. But this is definitely something you could do - I've seen kits in health food stores with all the necessary supplies to make your own capsules. Good luck!!!

PinkFireFly October 11th, 2010 04:32 PM

If I get my homebirth I plan on doing it myself...

moon~maiden October 12th, 2010 06:15 AM

it's not hard to do but the way I saw it, it was the last thing I wanted to be doing with a new baby and a toddler. Doing the capsules is pretty time consuming. Also I didn't want anyone to know in our families, so having it done was very discreet.

the going rate seems to be 250 for the service.

HappyHippy October 12th, 2010 06:50 AM

I did my own and I do it for other women who want it done. It's not hard to do, it is time consuming. The only "gross" parts (I find nothing gross about the placenta :) ) would be washing it and cutting it. After that you put it in the dehyderator, steamer or oven and it won't look like a placenta anymore, well not one that is fresh.

ChicaChels October 12th, 2010 07:27 AM

im getting it done after Bebo's birth. I don't want to have the same baby blues/ppd i did with Brylie (hopefully sans induction it won't be an issue, but better safe than sorry!) I found a woman through my doula who does it for $150.00. She comes to the hospital the night of the birth (or morning, whatever :lol:) within 4 hours, and gets it from my CNM (so she doesn't disturb us) and then it's ready within 48 hours, and you can pick it up or she will bring it to you for a small fee.

I'm not doing it myself only because I don't want to deal with it with a 20m old and a newborn, and the dog :)

horseradishmayo October 12th, 2010 08:44 AM

i know some of the local doulas to it, but cost is always an issue for us.
i found a how-to guide with pictures....and while it is definitely time consuming, it doesn't look too hard. i am going to post on my local birthnetwork group and ask what they charge, just so i know.
Placenta Encapsulation Instructions w/ Pictures - Journals - CafeMom

monica8 October 12th, 2010 10:52 AM

It doesn't look too hard, but I don't think I could do that. I can't imagine that would be a good cooking smell.