JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Flu Shot Stress (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2130432-flu-shot-stress.html)

Jennifer8080 October 12th, 2010 06:54 PM

Flu Shot Stress

I'm really stressing about this and I have no idea what to do. One part of me says - don't do it and just load up on extra Vitamin C. But then there's the other part of me that is so worried I'm going to get sick and the baby is going to end up getting all kinds of medication and be at more risk than she would have been with just the flu shot.

Here's some background - I've had the flu shot every year except for 1 in the past 10 years. The one year I didn't have it, I got horribly sick and ended up with pneumonia and in the hospital. I have asthma, so if I get the flu I usually get it really bad. DH travels a lot on planes and he gets sick VERY easily, so the chance that he'll catch something and bring it home is pretty good. Also, his mom is in the hospital and going to be in a nursing facility for the next several weeks/months.

I'm afraid if I don't get the flu shot and I get sick that I'm going to hate myself for not having the shot. I just can't decide for sure if it's better to expose her to the flu vaccine or risk exposing her to things like antibiotics, nebulizer treatments, steroids, etc.

moon~maiden October 12th, 2010 07:07 PM

Re: Flu Shot Stress

no one can tell you what the best choice is for you. I personally don't get flu shots other than one year when my doctor somehow talked me into it, but I don't get the flu often either. I def wouldn't get one when pregnant, but again, not my choice. My husband is in and out of hospitals everyday for his job, but he just takes extra care washing his hands well, and takes Vit D (we all do).

alicenwonderland October 12th, 2010 07:23 PM

I would get the shot. I too am prone to the flu. I can't imagine being pregnant and sick. Of course i got my flu shot, and still got the flu and ended up with pneumonia last year.... but somehow got pregant while i was still sick? lol

prantastic4 October 12th, 2010 07:56 PM

I too have been really stressed about flu vaccinations. But considering we've never gotten them, I think we will likely pass this year as well. Just do your research, and make an informed desicion that's right for you and your family. :)

sodagirl October 12th, 2010 10:06 PM

I never get the flu shot - except when I AM pregnant. :) I will probably get it this year - since the flu would suck for such a little baby.
If you always get flu shots - you know that you don't react badly to them - your body knows how to handle it and flu is especially dangerous during pregnancy. So I would get it if I were you.

momma2011 October 13th, 2010 02:04 AM

The midwives at my birthing center recommend it, and I absolutely trust them. Some years I skip it and some years I get it, depending on what my exposure levels are. The one year I got the flu I was pretty sure I was going to die. I really don't want to go through that pregnant, and even worse I don't want to catch it after baby is born. I am going to go ahead and get it.

Honestly, with your history I wouldn't think twice about it. I would be the first person in line to get it.

mgm78 October 13th, 2010 04:32 AM

I got it when pregnant and regretted it. BUT you can ask for a mercury free one, if they do not have it, have them order you one. There has been a lot of news lately that Vit D is BETTER than the flu shot, google it. With your history I can see how you are leaning towards it.

HeatherLyn429 October 13th, 2010 05:16 AM

I also got the flu once and was very very sick for 2 weeks! Since then, I have always gotten the Flu shot and never had a problem with it until this time. I got it last Wednesday and got sick right after and have been sooo sick since. My midwife insists it is not from the shot though and I was probably already harboring a flu/cold right before I got it, and it is just a coincidence. IDK, but I got sooooo sick this time!

pressedfairie October 13th, 2010 07:23 AM

Last week, my OB recommended I get it. She knows that I am anti-flu shot, but since I am pregnant, I decided that the risk of getting the flu outweighs the risk of getting the shot, especially considering that baby will also have the benefit of the shot, and we will have a lot of visitors after he is born.

My OB told me that last year, one of her pregnant clients ended up hospitalized because of H1N1 and had developed MS. If I wasn't pregnant, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Now that I got it, I don't regret it.

BobbityBoo October 13th, 2010 08:15 AM

Are they still giving H1N1 shots? Or is this the regular flu shot? Two years ago I got the flu shot for the first time because since moving up to Seattle my asthma is really bad. I moved up here pregnant and didn't have a problem that year and last year while pregnant I didn't have a problem either. But I did choose to get the H1N1. I really wasn't going to get it. My DH didn't want me to get it. He was okay with the regular flu shot because they do significant amounts of testing on it but they really rushed the H1N1 to market and he wasn't comfortable with me taking it while preggo. But in the heat of the moment I did it, because of my asthma I was at a higher risk of developing severe symptoms.

I think you will be fine to get it while pregnant. Especially since you have taken it in years past.

monica8 October 13th, 2010 08:22 AM

I know for the kids flu shots that H1N1 is built in, so I bet it is for adults too.

I'm on the fence about the shot, too. I got suckered into getting one last year, which was the first time I'd ever gotten it. I hate making choices like these. Maybe everyone else should just wash their hands and not go out if they're sick!

Jennifer8080 October 13th, 2010 08:48 AM

Yes - the H1N1 and the regular flu shot are combined this year. The reason they weren't last year had to do with production time, etc. I had both the regular flu and the H1N1 last year because I work in health care and spent a lot of time going in and out of hospitals for meetings. This year I work from home. We had several patients who died from H1N1 last year, one was a pregnant woman and another was a mom who was pregnant and delivered early via c-section because of H1N1. She ended up on life support and didn't survive. It's those things that really make me think I should get it, because of my asthma.

I think I'm going to go for it. I really think that in this case the benefits outweigh the risks.

HappyHippy October 13th, 2010 08:53 AM

It's your choice.

I never get the flu shot. Last year when I was pregnant my Midwife and OBGYN told me not to. My OBGYN and MW don't recommend it while pregnant.

*SamF* October 13th, 2010 09:13 AM

Last year I got it because where I live was in true pandemic status with H1N1. We had schools closed due to so many kids out.
I debated it heavily last year, then talked it over with my peri, he said typically he is indifferent, but last year was really pushing them. This year they have signs up, but haven't pushed yet. I'm torn again too, but I've had the flu before too and it sucked.

FusionGirl October 13th, 2010 05:05 PM

I am on the fence about it too. i should probably do more research about getting it while pregnant. I don't usually get a shot but the thought of getting the flu while pregnant and not being able to take any of the good medication really scares me. I think my OB does the mercury free ones because they were giving them at my work place and the nurse said that she needed a note from my Dr saying it was ok to get the shot. When I called my Dr office they said it needs to be a certain type of shot. So if I do get it it will be at my next appt on the 26th.

Vandertramp October 13th, 2010 05:28 PM

I never got one until last year when I had my son who was too young to get vaccinated and we were in a high H1N1 area and my husband is an elementary school teacher. I think with a infant we will all get it again this year.

Isaeph October 13th, 2010 06:04 PM

We don't do any vax's here. We all had swine flu in the spring of 09. Ds2 was just a few months old, but he did great, he had the least amount of symptoms (go breastmilk!). Dd and I were hit the worst (she was 2 1/2 and still nursing too, but only twice a day) and were laid out on the couch (mostly) for 2-3 weeks. Dh was pretty sick too, but he went to work. And ds1 did really well, usually he's my sickest.

I've never had the flu-any flu until swine flu. Dh got the regular flu pretty much twice a year growing up but hasn't gotten it much in the last 5 years. We use stuff like Umcka (which I take while bfing/pg and I give to my LO's also) and vitamin D. Dh takes Nyquil/Dayquil because he always has, but the kids and I usually just take homeopathic stuff and Tylenol if we need it. Dh is a mechanic, so he's in and out of cars all day and has gotten colds from that, but we usually do pretty good here at home.

A friend of mine really likes Moducare and Oscillococsium (sp?) but we've never used either.

Aside from dh being a mechanic and going to church once a week, we can stay pretty sheltered through flu season, and usually do besides once a week grocery trips. We homeschool, so we don't have to worry about the kids bringing anything home either.

New_England_Girl October 14th, 2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2011 (Post 21816532)
Honestly, with your history I wouldn't think twice about it. I would be the first person in line to get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pressedfairie (Post 21818245)
I decided that the risk of getting the flu outweighs the risk of getting the shot, especially considering that baby will also have the benefit of the shot, and we will have a lot of visitors after he is born.

^^Ditto both.

Jennifer8080 October 14th, 2010 06:11 AM

Well - my decision has been made. I'm getting the shot! I am already sick and miserable. My Massage Therapist was sniffling and sneezing all over me, and I was thinking it was really inappropriate if she was sick. She mentioned to the receptionist as I was leaving, "I can't believe I got sick before vacation."

Sure enough...I'm sick and miserable! Definitely getting the flu shot when I get over this...

New_England_Girl October 14th, 2010 06:13 AM

Awwww, I'm sorry! That was extremely unprofessional of her! Hope you feel better soon, hun!