JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Talk me back from the ledge please! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2131073-talk-me-back-ledge-please.html)

sweethome October 13th, 2010 12:02 PM

Talk me back from the ledge please!

Hi ladies! I know I am not on much, but I am thankful I have you all when I need some like minded friends!!

I have had both of my boys natural, no interventions, no pain meds... ya know all that good stuff...

As I have said before I am expecting twins and they won't let me deliver in water. Maybe that has demoralized me since DS 2 was the most AMAZING water birth. I had hopes of staying home and doing a water birth with pg #3, but now the twins thing has thrown me and I am seriously thinking I would like to get a walking epi. (I am delivering at a BC)
What are your thoughts? Feel free to talk me out of it!! I just feel tired and I have NO desire to go thru the "killer crowning pain" of birth (especially TWICE!). The pushing part of labor and crowning are just SO painful... it seems like it would be nice to "just enjoy" a little pain meds this time around! HELP!!

mgm78 October 13th, 2010 12:14 PM

Re: Talk me back from the ledge please!

Have you talked to other women who had a NCB with twins? maybe they can relay the pain with birthing 2 babies vs one. Someone just posted a birth story here about NCB of twins. Reread Ina May's book, it is always so empowering imo.

*SamF* October 13th, 2010 12:17 PM

Don't know if this is talking you our of it or not- but look into the other risks of an epi. There are a lot of downsides to one too. I caved after 19 hours of pit, and regret it. First one didn't work- went the wrong way, the second try both mine and babies heart rate dropped. Then it only lasted for about an hour.
I really fell back into my hypnobaby zone for the actual birth.

Overall you have to decide what is best for you and the twins.

sweethome October 13th, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgm78 (Post 21821787)
Have you talked to other women who had a NCB with twins? maybe they can relay the pain with birthing 2 babies vs one. Someone just posted a birth story here about NCB of twins. Reread Ina May's book, it is always so empowering imo.

I am a member of two twin communities online and too be honest I still have yet to hear from a mom that wanted and had a natural twin birth. I have been looking!

I have never read Ina May's book so I will buy it and read it. Thanks!

SamF
I did look up the risk of an epi, but I had some questions... I'll have to reread them to remember my Q's.

Kathode October 13th, 2010 07:17 PM

I'll talk you down...

here's a good one: if you've never had an epi, you have no idea how you will react to it. COMMON side effects for Mom are nausea, vomiting, headache, convulsions. So crowning sucks, but trying to push while puking your brains out and shivering uncontrollably sucks way, way more. BTDT then had a natural birth....

sara~b October 14th, 2010 04:57 AM

You're more likely to tear or push ineffectively with an epi. If you tear your recovery will suck for much longer than the pushing stage. If you can't push effectively you might end up with a c-section. You might also have back pain and headaches from the epi.

New_England_Girl October 14th, 2010 06:05 AM

Twins are usually pretty small at birth compared to singletons...remember that. You're probably looking at 6-6.5 pounds max...which after two singletons (one of which was humongous) sounds like cake to me! Crowning has got to be easier with tiny babies like that!

Also, this being your third birth, pushing time will probably be drastically reduced, even with twins. If your provider is willing to let you try it natural I say go for it! Your recovery is going to be soooooo much easier, it will be worth the pain at the time.

moon~maiden October 14th, 2010 06:45 AM

I always thought with twins that the second came pretty quickly after the first, leading me to believe they come out pretty easily. BUT I am not one to push people into things, if you want the epidural, I'm not going to talk you out of it!

There is a pretty cool interactive guide to interventions in the subforum you can check out if you want.

BobbityBoo October 14th, 2010 08:01 AM

Here is the post (recent post) of a mom's natural twin delivery!!

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...-long-ago.html

I tell my DH after every birth that I am DONE having natural births and FOR SURE I'm getting an epi next time! :lol: But then I never do, because I love NCB. It's jsut a great experience you don't get a "do over" on.

I agree with Cheryl that I would think the second twin would come out easily. The first one probably stretches you so the 2nd doesn't need as much stretching done. Usually there is a couple years between crownings so your va-jay jay tightens up. :) I say go without!

noworries October 14th, 2010 08:13 AM

KariRN just had twins naturally and she just introduced herself on this board. She might be a good resource for you.

sweethome October 15th, 2010 12:08 PM

THANK YOU!! You have all been so helpful! I PMed Kari I am sure she will be a great resource!
I don't know why I am being like this. DS #2 birth went so well! I was completely fine until pushing and even then I really only had 3-4 pushes. LOL, but after DS #1 I was wondering why ANY woman would EVER have another child! Babies just couldn't be worth all of that (he had a BIG head)... could they? YES they are!!
I am still not confidant, but I am feeling a bit better about everything.

us_four October 15th, 2010 06:53 PM

just try to go natural. do what you can. just remember what ever decision you make that you are a good mom

Alison79 October 16th, 2010 01:45 PM

I have a friend who had her twins naturally (at home!). She loved that she was able to do it naturally, her first twin was a breech and second was posterior and while it wasn't an easy labor she made it through with the support of her midwives and doula. Maybe do a search on youtube for natural twin birth? There might be some videos or photo slideshows that will help.

littledoe October 17th, 2010 03:48 AM

Hi! Unfortunately I am not allowed to use links until I have 10 posts, so this is a bit awkward.

There is a wonderful forum thread at mothering dot com that is exactly about natural birth of twins! You can find it by searching on google for "Please share your natural twin birth experiences".

Also, there is an inspirational video on YouTube called Natural Childbirth of Twins and Triplets that might help uplift your spirits.

The very best of luck! :dust: