JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   planned? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/232071-planned.html)

TylerJ1029 June 19th, 2006 02:51 PM

While preggo did you plan on having a natural childbirth or did it just happen that way?

With DS I was just kinda going with the flow. I was open to having an epi but didnt really want one. And I ended up sticking it out and never got one. With DD I knew before I even concieved her that I wanted it to be natural.

magilatuzzi June 19th, 2006 03:42 PM

Planned to be natural with all of them, but told myself it wouldnt be the end of the world if it didnt work out that way! It did though!

My_Serenity June 19th, 2006 03:54 PM

Planned natural birth with the first two and I plan on one for this one. Xander and Lucas were homebirthed and I plan on one for the little one due next month

Butter June 19th, 2006 07:14 PM

I had planned to go natural with Ani. Didn't. Cameron was planned natural and I chose to have him at a freestanding birthing center partly because I couldn't have any drugs there. This baby is also planned natural - at home this time.

*PurpleMidnight* June 20th, 2006 12:40 AM

I planned to have a natural but have the option of gas if I needed it. I didnt want anything that could affect ds.

CTK3989 June 20th, 2006 09:10 AM

I am pregnant now and have decided no meds.

*I have a question, which is worse, the contractions or pushing with no medS?*

Chelci

My_Serenity June 20th, 2006 09:58 AM

Pushing actually made the contractions more barable for me. I didn't start really hurting until I got into that transition stage. I mean... they hurt... it was a natural kind of hurt. I don't really know how to explain what I mean. You know... I knew the contractions were doing something and that I'd soon get to meet my baby. When I was in the transition stage with my first I kept saying... 'God wouldn't do this to me if He didn't think I could do it' over and over. With Lucas during transition I kept saying 'I can't do this... I can't do this.' My husband and midwife kept saying 'You're already doing it...' That helpped a lot too.

I Smile Because Of Them June 20th, 2006 08:31 PM

The thought crossed my mind, but only for a split second :P I was induced with my first son with Pitocin, & labor came too quickly to get anything. Second time around, we found out the hospital I was delivering at didn't give epi's, but something else similar to one. Dh was really wanting me to get it, but by the time they said I could have it, they told me I had to get the baby out quickly or it could affect him. I didn't take the chance, so I passed on it of course.

iamkc June 20th, 2006 09:42 PM

*IF IT BECOMES NECESSARY* and ONLY then will I have anything. To be honest, we didn't think that we could have kids, but even then, I always thought, "If my body were ever able to carry a baby, then I most certainly want to have a completely unmedicated birth." DH has always been on board for support and has helped me through other sorts of circumstances that might be considered similar. We've only *really* discussed it when his dad keeps saying that I'm stupid for not wanting an epi--it's his "professional opinion". :angry2:

Butter June 21st, 2006 05:24 AM

I don't know if pushing or contractions are worse. I never pushed with Cameron. He birthed himself. He pushed his feet off the top of my uterus to propel himself out. That can occasionally happen in unmedicated births. I do know the "pushing" contractions are different than the regular ones. It definitely didn't hurt when he came out. I don't plan on pushing this one out either.

justjaQ June 21st, 2006 08:47 AM

i have had two. neither were by choice. my first was born in 2-1/2 hours, and the second one, i was in labour for a bit... but by the time it started to hurt, she was born only half an hour later. i'm thinking i'll look into natural birthing methods for #3. since i don't seem to have a choice, i may as well learn how to keep calm, as i did a TERRIBLE job at it.

the contractions hurt far more, for me. you can't really focus on seeing them as helpful, until you're pushing with them (for me, anyhow).

wonderfullymade June 21st, 2006 09:08 AM

mine are planned unmedicated births.

Pushing is a relief and actually felt good for me. The harder I pushed, the better I felt. Contractions are the discomfort, not the pushing (for me).

Sarah-Jean June 21st, 2006 10:47 AM

I always plan to do everything without medications toxifying my body and my baby. Pregnancy is always hard on me, I suffer from a lot of complications including pre-eclampsia (was induced twice using one dose of prostoglandin gel), hormone induced 4 month long migraines that painkillers don't touch, severe SPD that means I'll be on crutches if not in a wheelchair and will probably need an operation next time, full pre-labour contractions (full strength but not physically doing anything) that go on for 10+ weeks or more before real labour..... And more!

I have never had medication for any of it except the first time I had the 4 month long migraine... And even then I stopped taking them after awhile cos nothing touched it and they'd started upping the doses to something that was harmful to baby and even that didn't help....

Natural childbirth and the pain never left me unable to function like a botched epidural I had the first time. They placed it as I was pushing and his head was coming out. And I've had non-stop back pain ever since.

I planned home water births with all my boys.... I only got it last time because I point blank refused to go to hospital despite my conditions and problems. Hospital never helped me, or cured me of my problems and I never had a problem in any of my births. All quick, relatively pain-free and simple. I've now found out that ontop of all the other things I also have B-Strep and probably had that with all my pregnancies too and they're saying I will have to be hooked to a drip next time so can't have a homebirth.....

I won't repeat what I said to them. :blush: Needless to say next time I will be having a med free birth at home anyway.

MissyPrincessEha June 22nd, 2006 06:46 PM

I did plan my two natural births.

My transitional contractions were the tough ones and the pushing with #1 was hard but because I was flat on my back and never felt like I had my footing so to speak. The crowning of #1's head was odd feeling. It felt like he was coming the wrong way out. But it wasn't painful. Pushing did take the edge off of my contractions. With baby #2 the baby just eased out so well that I would have to say that transition was again the worst of it.

I enjoyed my births though. I think the after stuff was really the hard part. It takes me so long to heal afterwards from pregnancy and birth. I just feel like I wilt. Hoping that won't happen the next time.

magilatuzzi June 22nd, 2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

mine are planned unmedicated births.

Pushing is a relief and actually felt good for me. The harder I pushed, the better I felt. Contractions are the discomfort, not the pushing (for me).[/b]

I totally agree!

Frelle June 24th, 2006 08:52 AM

mine have all been planned natural birth, but Im not one who thinks that pushing is a relief. I was terrified of it all 3 times, and Felicity made this last one easy for me... she flew out like a torpedo! I didnt have to get up the nerve to bear down when my body strated pushing, I could not NOT push, so that was great.