JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   seriously low pain tolerance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/246012-seriously-low-pain-tolerance.html)

chlodoll July 7th, 2006 05:13 PM

Ok I am not pregnant at the moment but for my next baby I would like to have a natural birth. With DS I didnt really have any options in my birth ecperience. I was induced at 34 weeks becuase of severe pre-e and they wanted me to have an epidural because of my blood pressure. I wanted it anyway because I was unprepared and once they broke my water I was in delrious pain and had no idea what to do. My induction was relatively easy. I was only in active labour for about 2 hours if that.

I have a very low tolerance for pain. I mean really low. Is there any certain technique or class or method I should learn/take? Which one would be best?? I want to be prepared way ahead of time!!! And hopefully I wont have to be induced again!!

Should I just take the drugs and save myself the worry? lol I dont want to! I want to have a really successful breastfeeding experience from the start. Isaiah had to goto NICU and I didnt even get to nurse him till the next day and even then he was very sleepy and couldnt latch well. It took him two weeks to get the hang of it and till I could bring him home.

Thanks so much!

Butter July 7th, 2006 05:54 PM

I have a very low pain tolerance and Bradley worked for me. A lot of women who say they have low pain tolerances have success with hypnobirthing as well.

calicocat July 7th, 2006 06:05 PM

I have a very low pain tolerance too--I always joke that I need Novacaine to get my teeth CLEANED, not just filled. But I delivered my second with no drugs using self-hypnosis. Luckily my labor was pretty short (about 4 hours, and only about 1 1/2 hours of it was really bad). I was really surprised I was able to do it, but it wasn't bad.

chlodoll July 7th, 2006 10:39 PM

I wonder how long my next labour will be. With my induction on the 24th at 11pm they but in the cervadil, then a new one at 11am then they took it out at 11pm and at 1:36am Isaiah was born. After they broke my water it was only 1 1/2 hours till he was out. I didnt start to feel any pain until a couple hours after they put the second cervadil in. It was starting to hurt really bad and I called the nurse and she said I know that it can feel like a bad period sometimes. BAD PERIOD!! If any womans period felt like that she would be bedridden for the duration of it! I was so pissed when she said that! I spent the next couple of hours in the shower which seemed to help a bit. Then I had to lie down becuase my legs were tired and I tried to breath through it and have DH rub my back but after my water was broken I was just straight screaming. My Mom kept telling me to breath and I couldnt! I could only scream!!

**Jenn** July 8th, 2006 07:23 AM

Hey Chloe!

I used hypnobirthing when I had Liam. It was really great. I had discomfort toward the end but no pain! I hope you have an easier time for the next one.

theherbmama3 July 8th, 2006 08:20 AM

I totally zone out and find my 'birth song'. That really helps me. That's whatever noise your body decides is most comforting when you are exhaling during contractions.

sidhesister July 15th, 2006 10:13 AM

hey mama....

it is good that you are honest with yourself.. but this is a great tine to be able to look past your fears, and focus on your amazing body, and what she is capable of.

there is a large part of pain that is mental, and so by you changing how you precieve pain, you can actually reduce the physical hurt.

spend alot of time learning to relax. sit in a position for a long time meditating, and turn off your urge to move around, shake out your legs, change position. JUST SIT. relax. it takes work, but it is a valuable tool in taking your concentration inwards.

empower yourself with knowledge. read encouraging books about beautiful births, and look at the pictures. truly visualize your birth to be an amazing and fun event. dont read conventional birthing books, they will only add fear~

and remember... the pain is only for one day. you can offer this to your child in return for a gentle birth and happy baby.

yahooooooooo... you can do it

crunchymama July 15th, 2006 02:32 PM

Did you read any books on antural birth last time? I highly suggest childbirth the bradley way, the thinking woman's guide to childbirth , and anything else you find by Henci Goer.
I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain. I stub my toe and I cry about it for days. lol And Iv's forgot about it. That is actually why I wanted to go natural to begin with I didn't want any needles. When it comes to labor I can just zone out it hurts but it is amost like it is happening to someone else. I haven't read the hypno books but I think that is what I use without even knowing it. I have quick hard labors. My last baby was born in an hour and 45 minutes. My water was broke to so I know exactly what you mean about it hurting like hell as soon as they break your water.
I also suggest using a midwife not an OB.I know that there are some great OBs out there but they are few and very far between. It seems like even a good midwife is getting hard to find. Here are some good links but they don't guarentee a good midwife I searched my area and the local med wifes came up. Some of them are just as bad if not worse than the OB's at that practice. I would get reccommendations from a local Bradley instucter, even if you can't afford the calss I am sure she will give you some names.
http://birthpartners.com/?gclid=CIiI...FSURGgodHjSftw
http://www.midwife.org/find.cfm

_Brandy_ July 16th, 2006 12:35 AM

I think everyone gave great ideas. If I was you I would see a midwife, not a Dr and I would hire a doula. I think this would give you the best birth possible. :smile:

chlodoll July 18th, 2006 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!

I was planning on looking into using a midwife but I wasnt sure if I was considered higher risk because of the pre-e now. My OB said I have a 10% greater chance of getting it again in my next pregnancy. He told me he thinks I'll be fine with my next pregnancy and not to worry but its hard not to! I do really like my OB.though. He is a good doctor (very anti-section, he actually specializes in VBACS) and a nice person. (He is also exceptionally good looking lol) My SIL has gone natural and used the same midwife for both her babies now and she loves it. She loves how personal it is and I really want that to.

I just really want to be able to have my baby put on my belly, nurse him right away and get to take him home with me!