JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Whats your ideal length of time to breastfeed? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2487400-whats-your-ideal-length-time-to-breastfeed.html)

BobbityBoo February 9th, 2012 10:03 AM

Whats your ideal length of time to breastfeed?

:nak:

ashj_1218 February 9th, 2012 12:13 PM

Re: Whats your ideal length of time to breastfeed?

I know the newer recommendations are 2 years...but I do think that breaking a kid of any *habit* at that age is very difficult. We started the paci at that age and we are just now making progress. So I think MY ideal would be actual nursing until 15-16 months and then possibly doing some pumped milk in a cup for a while after. But like I said, I think it is a personal thing. My first son weaned himself at 11 months (which I did not fight) and I would have love it if this little guy nursed for a few months beyond that. Also :nak:

Tiki February 9th, 2012 04:14 PM

As long as he wants :)

Twhylite21 February 9th, 2012 04:57 PM

I don't know if I have an ideal time. Lily weaned at 12.5 months and Vi was 16 months (maybe 17, can't remember now). My minimum goal is 12 months and then after that, I just let the baby decide. I never forced weaning or tried to wean either girl - both girls weaned pretty quickly after I got pregnant though (Lily took about 2 months after I got preg. with Vi and Vi weaned almost overnight after I got pregnant, she said the milk was "yucky").

Augmommyx2 February 9th, 2012 06:02 PM

Well are we talking before or after I completely failed at breastfeeding and was forced to pump exclusively because of my "broken baby"? In a perfect world it would've been 2 years. In my world, I made it 6 months and was pretty proud of myself.

Augmommyx2 February 9th, 2012 06:04 PM

Well are we talking before or after I completely failed at breastfeeding and was forced to pump exclusively because of my "broken baby"? In a perfect world it would've been 2 years. In my world, I made it 6 months and was pretty proud of myself.

Augmommyx2 February 9th, 2012 06:10 PM

Well, are we talking about in my world where I had a "broken baby" and was forced to pump exclusively or are we talking about in a perfect world? In my world, I made it pumping exclusively for 6 months, my supply dropped to almost nothing. But I was proud I pumped that long. In a perfect world I would have breast fed 2 years.

bostoncreampie February 9th, 2012 07:10 PM

"ideally," as long as the child desires.

personally, it depends on the day for me. sam is 2 next month and a lot of the time i wish he was done, but in reality i am glad he is still going.

HappyHippy February 9th, 2012 07:43 PM

As long as they want. My 21 month old still nurses, mainly in the night.

noworries February 10th, 2012 11:45 AM

My answer is the same as Kristen's. Ideally it would be as long as Isaac wants. But, some days I am so ready to be done. Most days I am glad we are still going. Isaac is coming up on 18 months and I am really happy that we have made it this long. If we are still going at 2 years I will reevaluate and see how I feel about it then.

Jennifer8080 February 10th, 2012 01:08 PM

My goal is 12 months. With Kennedy, I had to stop BFing at 3 months because of her heart defect, but I pumped until 8 months, when I had to stop b/c I was having pregnancy complications. Fortunately, I had 4500 oz of milk frozen when I stopped and she has enough to get to at least 15 months. With this baby, I'm hoping he will breastfeed, and my goal is still 12 months. We plan to TTC at that point, and it will depend on how my body with TTC/being pregnant and breastfeeding.

..Penelope.. February 10th, 2012 01:51 PM

I'm comfortable breastfeeding up to 2 years if baby wants to. L weaned himself at 16 months.

Celry February 10th, 2012 01:52 PM

I would love to say as long as baby wants, but I know that I tire of it.
my girls self weaned at 19m and I was ready to be done.

BobbityBoo February 11th, 2012 08:51 AM

I'm ready to be done at 12 months usually. I weaned Kate at about 13-14 months. I was pregnant and just ready to be done. I physically couldn't stand the feeling of it anymore.

I'll play it by ear with Karaline. Definitely at least 12 months!

Josie+Shpala February 11th, 2012 07:49 PM

Whenever baby wants to stop :) I was breastfed until I was 2, so if that's when Bub weans him/herself, that's fine.

daneeleigh February 12th, 2012 08:44 PM

My goal is to do 12 months. Being a FTM, I can't really say how much further I'll go afterwards but I'll be proud of a year.

pink_piggy February 14th, 2012 11:47 AM

I'm shooting for 2 yrs as well, but I'm going to let her decide when she's done. I'm very proud that she's still ebf at 9 mo :)

JulieMc February 14th, 2012 08:38 PM

1 year would be good with me...that being said, I am still nursing a now 15 month old..sooooo....I guess it's up to her? I am hoping that being pregnant will push her towards weaning soon, but she is one stubborn girl and I'm thinking she might be one of those ones that perseveres even when the milk dries up!

alicenwonderland February 15th, 2012 06:01 AM

i would like to nurse a year or more. I only got 5 months with Teddy due to his protein enterophahies and constant GI bleeds. I'm hoping this baby tolerates my milk!

STL_Beth February 15th, 2012 02:04 PM

My goal is always a year. We made it to a year (barely because I was working FT and having a hard time pumping). But then we switched him to cow's milk at daycare and nursing at night and that worked great. I really wanted to start TTC though so we did the "don't offer and don't refuse" method and well, he never asked anymore. I think he was more than ready to wean on his own.