JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   family size (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2512413-family-size.html)

ChicaChels April 9th, 2012 02:26 PM

family size

do you think those who choose natural birth tend to have bigger families because they have better birth experiences and (usually) that results in happier babies?

LaceyMay2630 April 9th, 2012 02:46 PM

Re: family size

I would agree with that. I mean not only is baby happier but I think it gives Mama the confidence and power that she needs/wants when giving birth. It gives that HUGE sense of accomplishment, because birth isn't an easy thing, and to do it naturally is very self empowering! I think it's a better birthing experience as well simply because you can feel what baby is doing and what your body needs to do, and I think for a lot of Mamas that is what they need to feel like they can handle another natural birth multiple times over. I don't have kids yet, but my SIL said that with her first (she had an epi) she had to be told when to push and what position to be in. With her second (naturally) she knew exactly when to push and what position to be in and her baby girl was out within 3 pushes, your inner intuition is easier to read when you can feel what's going on with your body.

3Sapphires April 11th, 2012 06:56 AM

I know with my 6 week check up after my c-section I asked my doctor if I had to have c-sections from now on and she said yes, and that they only like to see 2 or 3 sections at most.

I was so upset over that that I dropped her and did my homework.

Having my natural VBAC made me want to do it over and over again, but DH is certain we are done at 3 kids. I'm not 100% sure yet, but if we had unlimited funds I think we would both be up for more kids. As long as none of them were c-sections again!

Twhylite21 April 11th, 2012 12:00 PM

In my group of friends everyone wants 1-2 kids regardless of how they gave birth. I'm the only one that wants more, but I've always wanted more kids than they have.

MissusF April 11th, 2012 04:57 PM

I don't know. I have noticed that the "crunchy" types of parents that I know tend to have larger families. Personally, when I think of adding to our family I think primarily about finances and I can't say that my birth experience would factor into the decision. Then again I had a very positive experience and if it had been traumatic it may deter me from wanting to have more. I have never noticed any correlation between NCB and happier babies.

BobbityBoo April 14th, 2012 08:11 AM

I think its a biased sample. I think the women/families that generally choose NCB are ones who want larger families anyway for varies reasons.

bostoncreampie April 18th, 2012 12:39 PM

I don't think so. I'm not sure I agree that babies from happy births become happier or easier children. And I do think most people with medicated births have wonderful experiences.

JoyfulChaosMama May 30th, 2012 11:09 AM

I do tell my midwife all the time that if everyone had one like her there would be far more happy mama's and babies in this world! ;-) Of course, I know there are many other reasons to limit or extend family size, but it does help!

HappyHippy June 1st, 2012 09:00 PM

I think it can for individual people, but it would be interesting seeing a study actually done on this.

For myself ds1's birth wasn't very fun, but I still wanted a bunch of kids. After ds2's wonderful birth I still want a bunch. Most of NCB/homebirth friends have 2-6 kids. But I also have c-section friends who have 5+ (and 1 that had 6 c-sections and 7 kids). My other pro-epi friends have around 2 kids.