JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   When to start taking RRL and EPO? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2525469-when-to-start-taking-rrl-and-epo.html)

..Penelope.. May 10th, 2012 11:21 AM

When to start taking RRL and EPO?

I took both with L but can't remember when I started. And atm, I don't know where the memory stick is that has my pregnancy journal on it.

I'm planning on asking my midwives at my appt in 2 weeks, but thought you ladies might be able to help in the meantime. Now that I'm in my third trimester, would it be ok to start taking it? I have both in pill form.

Kiwi May 11th, 2012 12:12 AM

Re: When to start taking RRL and EPO?

From memory it's from 37 weeks, but it might pay to check with your midwife! I'll be interested to hear what she says!

..Penelope.. May 11th, 2012 10:24 AM

I'll update when I talk to her.

bostoncreampie May 11th, 2012 11:37 AM

my midwife told me to start RRL tea at 10 weeks or so because i have a history of PPH. i haven't bought any yet but need to get on it soon! she said to drink a few glasses a day.

PinkFireFly May 12th, 2012 09:46 PM

I started RRL at roughly 11 weeks... And EPO at 34 weeks but I did my research and I was comfortable starting them as early as I did. I did a liter of RRL starting out and increased my infusion time and amount as for EPO I started with 2000mg and by 37weeks I started doing 4000mg orally and my water broke at 38 weeks...

I recommend doing your research and talking to your MW and being comfortable in your decision of when you start an the amount... And side note I was a first time mommy and uncomplicated pregnancy

Urchin May 13th, 2012 03:08 AM

RRL is one of those things that I found hard to get any concrete info on. There's a lot of places that say it can possibly cause early labor or bleeding, and others that sware it is 100% safe. Then some will say it prevents miscarriage...while another resource will say it can causes it.

Personally, since I had bleeding issues early in pregnancy, I waited until 35 weeks (I think) to start my RRL regimen. I drank it daily and built up to more and more until the day I went in for my induction.

I really do think it made my contractions much more efficient! My labor was only about 6 -7 hours long.

MissusF May 13th, 2012 10:12 PM

I started it around 30 weeks but my midwife said it was safe to start it sooner if I had wanted to. I started EPO around 35 weeks orally and started inserting it vaginally at 37 weeks.

Twhylite21 May 22nd, 2012 09:59 PM

I started both at 35 weeks this time around. I did 1000mg of EPO until 36 weeks, then upped to 2000mg until 37 weeks and then 3000mg from then until I went into labor.

..Penelope.. May 23rd, 2012 05:13 PM

My midwife told me 36 weeks for RRL and 38 weeks for EPO.

..Penelope.. May 23rd, 2012 05:46 PM

I was digging through some old posts on here and it looks like I started both at 36 weeks with L. I think I'll do the same this time.