JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Food... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2537876-food.html)

therevslady June 11th, 2012 11:17 AM

Food...

Did you eat in labor? What sort of foods did you eat? If you haven't had your baby yet, do you have an idea of what sort of meal you might want?

With my last, I ate Massaman Curry at the beginning of my labor, went for icecream with a friend (wasn't completely sure I was in labor at this point, lol) and I ate pasta salad for dinner. I snacked on fruit: stuff like apples and cantelope, and mostly drank lots of fluids.

Oh and when I was in transition, right when I got to the hospital last time, I sent my husband to the snack machine for pretzels. I just HAD to have pretzels.

LadyCoconut June 11th, 2012 11:46 AM

I didn't. I either didn't have the typical early labor stages or I just totally ignored it. I lost my plug and had immediate contractions back to back. I fixed a bowl of oatmeal before leaving for the hospital but couldn't choke it down. My labor from first noticed contraction to holding her was 8 hours and I threw up in transition. I never felt hungry.

daneeleigh June 11th, 2012 01:38 PM

Re: Food...

I was nauseated sooo bad during labor but I had prepared all of my labor snacks beforehand so we brought them anyways. I had lots of frozen grapes prepared, almonds and crackers with cheese slices. I was passing ketones in my urine and they forced me to eat during labor to avoid an IV. I wasn't getting enough down with the grapes so between every contraction they shoved popsicle and water down my throat. I avoided an IV but only because my doula spoke up. The midwives actually wanted to give me one.

Twhylite21 June 11th, 2012 04:02 PM

All 3 of my labors just started with contractions back to back and they've been pretty fast, so I've never really thought much about eating. I remember with Vi's birth, I did eat some banana right before starting to push. That's all that I can recall though.

MissusF June 11th, 2012 04:59 PM

I had some crackers, popsicles and frozen grapes on hand but didn't eat any of it. I wasn't hungry at all. I couldn't get enough to drink and ended up drinking an entire gallon of water and an entire gallon of gatorade in 6 hours. I never felt nauseous but I do remember puking a bunch of times. I normally hate to puke but for some reason it felt really good while I was in labor lol.

Kiwi June 12th, 2012 12:30 AM

I had eaten dinner just prior to contractions starting. It all went so fast, eating never even occurred to me!

noworries June 20th, 2012 07:23 AM

I don't really feel like eating when in labor. With my last one, I ate some corn on the cob and a few mini donuts (we were at the fair).

tryinfor5 June 20th, 2012 09:01 AM

I never thought of eating... and hospital policy is no eating.lol So this time around I will have DH bring a bag of snacks for me just in case I need to sneak some in.

Augmommyx2 June 22nd, 2012 07:18 PM

I was in a hospital so I wasn't "officially" allowed to eat, but what they know doesn't hurt them :) I thought I would want granola bars or something but I was soooo sick. I was throwing up and had no desire to eat anything. They were begging me to drink some water.

Carwen*Angel June 24th, 2012 02:46 AM

I didn't really feel hungry though I'm sure I should have been eating something. I tried to snack, but I was scared of being sick. I plan on trying harder this time to eat stuff that will keep my energy levels up.