JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   New to this particular board! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2544617-new-to-particular-board.html)

Pageturner June 30th, 2012 07:42 AM

New to this particular board!

Hi there! My name is Morgan, and I've been a member of justmommies since Feb, but I mostly post in my due date club, October. My baby is due Oct. 26, and it's a boy :-) I've been seeing a midwife, and plan to do a natural water birth at their birthing center. I love how much attention the midwives pay to me, and that ever appointment is at least an hour long, assuring that I get a chance to ask all my questions. I really feel like they care about me there. The only issue I have with my birthing center is that they have an RN on staff who is very abrasive and snappy. If she is teaching the birthing classes I may look elsewhere for classes.

We are also breastfeeding and cloth diapering. Not only will it save us money, but it's truly what will be best for my baby. I want to make my own baby food too, but I may not do that full-time. His daycare will provide baby food while he's there so I will probably just do it at home.

I hope to meet and make friends with some other natural mommas on here!

I do have a question. I, personally, do not agree with co-sleeping, which seems to be a HUGE natural-momma trend lately. I can't bring myself to do that to my child. For one, I would be afraid to roll over on my child in my sleep and suffocate him. Also, I agree with the baby growing attached to us, but I don't think it's healthy to become overly attached--I want my child to be independent. I want him to learn to fall asleep without me constantly by his side.

Edit: I should point out that the baby will be sleeping in a crib right next to me, just not in the bed with me.

If there is something i'm missing here, please tell me or point me to a website that explains co-sleeping, because it just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Hope I haven't turned you all off to me, I just really wanna know the logic behind it :-)

Carwen*Angel June 30th, 2012 09:19 AM

Re: New to this particular board!

Hello Morgan! Welcome to this board. I lurk more than I post here but there are some lovely ladies who are regularly here.

I would say that you'd probably get better explanations on the co-sleeping front on the Attachment Parenting board, as this board is really more about the birth event itself.

I'm Sharron, 37, from the UK. I already have one little one who is almost six and am due with #2 in early August and very interested in trying to cope with labour using Hypnobirthing techniques, TENS and/or water if one of the pool rooms at my hospital is available...but we'll see how it goes, I didn't have a good experience last time. I am more of a traditional parent overall and wouldn't co-sleep personally either, for the exact same 2 reasons as yourself.

therevslady June 30th, 2012 07:16 PM

Hey! Welcome to the board!

I agree with Sharron, you might have more luck on the attachment parenting board. Not everyone who is a natural birth advocate co-sleeps (we are very diverse).

Also, what you are considering doing with the crib next to the bed, is considered co-sleeping to some. What you are referring to is often termed "bed sharing." That might help you with your search for answers ;)

LadyCoconut June 30th, 2012 08:45 PM

Hi & welcome to the board! Like Que said, "co-sleeping" is the term that is used when baby rooms in with you, which you said you plan to do. "bed sharing" is when they sleep in bed with you.

our daughter slept in bed with me... it worked for us. I'm a "never say never" kinda mama about a lot of things, and I remember in my DDC we did a poll of "I will never..." and then months after they were there we re-did it and so many moms wound up bed sharing when they were adamant that they wouldn't. But its what wound up working best for their family at the time.

Pageturner June 30th, 2012 10:25 PM

Thanks ladies nice to know there are many viewpoints. Sorry if I came off defensive from the get go! I follow a Facebook group for conscious parenting, and everyone on there insists that bed sharing is best, and basically told me that if I didn't agree with it now, I better change my mind. So needless to say that made me mad and I came here for logical discussion. Lol.

daneeleigh July 1st, 2012 11:11 AM

I think it's a personal choice to cosleep, and honestly when he gets here you'll sleep wherever you can lol. We were completely against cosleeping! It was a NONO on our list. Well, baby came and that went out the window. He either slept in a bouncy seat cause I like that it kept him snug and elevated or he slept with us. He fell asleep so easily in his daddy's arms that we just left him there. We'd both fall asleep while nursing so I wasn't moving then. At 8 weeks though, we started putting him in his crib and he's been STTN ever since in there. I think it was great for us the first few weeks but then it was time to move him. Again, there's nothing wrong with not cosleeping. Mason does just as great in his own crib as he does in our bed.

noworries July 1st, 2012 05:30 PM

Hi there.
You have to do whatever works best for you and your family. Before I had kids, I said I would never bed-share. Well, both of my kids shared our bed for the first 6 months or so because it's the only way we got any sleep. Don't let anyone tell you what you should or should not be doing. Follow your heart.