JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Natural childbirth in a hospital with an OB/GYN: Is it possible? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2550859-natural-childbirth-hospital-ob-gyn-possible.html)

pickle0313 July 18th, 2012 04:01 PM

Natural childbirth in a hospital with an OB/GYN: Is it possible?

From my experience, I'm very skeptical....

First baby was with an OB/GYN in the hospital. Horrible experience, pretty much scarred me for life. Second baby I started w/ a different OB/GYN and found their attitude much the same as the one I had with my first, so I switched to a midwife mid-way through my pregnancy. Had a wonderful NATURAL birth in the hospital, and felt so empowered after that experience I never wanted to go back to an OB/GYN for pregnancy again.

However, now I'm FORCED to see an OB/GYN this time around as my insurance doesn't cover a single midwife....

So I guess what I wanna know is who has had an all natural childbirth in a hospital with an OB/GYN and been happy with their experience?

HappyHippy July 18th, 2012 07:15 PM

Re: Natural childbirth in a hospital with an OB/GYN: Is it possible?

I've not had a NCB in a hospital, but I have been a Doula for many and it's totally possible. Just be upfront from the beginning with what you want, and try to schedule appointments with a NCB friendly OB (if you have one).

therevslady July 19th, 2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHippy (Post 26288725)
I've not had a NCB in a hospital, but I have been a Doula for many and it's totally possible. Just be upfront from the beginning with what you want, and try to schedule appointments with a NCB friendly OB (if you have one).

Ditto!

You'll know what sort of birth he/she wants you to have based on the routine procedures and hospital procedures implemented as well. Get to know those from the start and be VERY up front about what you are looking to achieve and you should be fine.

daneeleigh July 19th, 2012 07:52 PM

My doula works with mostly women delivering in a hospital setting. Find someone who is familiar with the hospital you plan to deliver with that way she's comfortable with the staff and will already have a relationship with them.

.kelley. July 28th, 2012 05:00 PM

Yes! Hire a doula. I had a friend who had a NCB in a hospital. Her doula stayed home with her and at the last hour or so got to the hospital. Her OB was very proud of her.

LadyCoconut July 28th, 2012 08:00 PM

Mine wasn't an NCB because I was on mag for pre- e... But I did deliver with an OB in a hospital and declined induction, pitocin and all pain meds.

So basically it is possible to have an intervention free birth if you're confident and well prepared and willing to say "I do not consent."

But I agree that shopping around so it's less of
An uphill battle is your best bet!