JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Natural Pain relief (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2553080-natural-pain-relief.html)

tryinfor5 July 24th, 2012 11:54 AM

Natural Pain relief

I am 150% dedicated to having an unmedicated as close to NCB as I can possibly get this time around. I tried last time and opted for the epi. I was just too unprepared I believe. Having been through it once, I feel like I can take the right steps this time to be prepared. Part of that preparation is making sure I have an arsenal of natural pain releif techniques to fall back on. I feel like in that moment of "I can't do this anymore" there are things that my partner can say or do to help me through.

SO.... you ladies... what have you done/ are you planning for your NCB?

One thing I read that struck a cord with me was a woman who was at a breaking point, and her doula said "3 more contractions, just make it 3 more and see how you feel"I know that would work on me...

I'm having a hospital NCB(as much as I can in that environment). I would love your ideas/advice/experience!:D

MissusF July 24th, 2012 01:55 PM

Re: Natural Pain relief

I used Hypnobabies and I can't recommend it highly enough. I had such a calm and peaceful birth using the Hypnobabies techniques.

daneeleigh July 24th, 2012 06:58 PM

I had horrible back labor and the biggest reliever for me was to have someone putting extreme pressure on my secrum area. My doula and DF were constantly switching out on who was applying pressure cause I'm sure their hands were cramping up but it worked. Also swaying on an exercise ball and the shower were great. The tub helped my back labor some but I really feel like I got more relief out of the shower cause I could use the head to put direct flow onto where I wanted it.

Also, I will be trying Hypnobabies for my next birth. I wish I would have known about it before hand. Someone had mentioned it to me at my birth center as a class I could take and I think I snorted and said, "that sounds too hippy for me." Yea, little did I know lol.

noworries July 25th, 2012 07:23 AM

I also highly recommend hypnobabies.

tryinfor5 July 25th, 2012 09:10 AM

I have heard so many good things about hypnobabies, and would love to take classes, but it is not financialy feasible for me. Does anyone know a way to go about getting some info on Hypnobabies without the actual full expense of the course?

I have the shower and massage/counter pressure on my list for DH.... wish my hospital had a tub!!!

Carwen*Angel July 25th, 2012 10:46 AM

I wasn't in a financial position to do the Hypnobabies class this pregnancy, but really wanted to use the techniques during labour. So I bought the book Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie F. Mongan and figured I could at least read up on it and know some of the techniques. It also includes a CD with 2 guided meditations for preparation for birth, too. I've read it through twice and my partner has also read it so he knows how he can play his part. I've been doing the affirmations, the fear release work recommended in there and the visualisations and perineal massage, and I feel so much more prepared than I did with my first baby. I'm really hoping that at least having visualisations I can focus on during labour will help me.

I am also taking 2 angel-inspired instrumental CDs which I can listen to and "zone out", perhaps do the two Hypnobirthing visualisations I've internalised, because I'm used to meditating with them.

I also have a TENS machine (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) to use in the early part of labour, and if it's available, I will request one of the hospital's birthing pool rooms for later, or use bath/shower if the TENS ceases to have enough effect. My partner has also done a massage course in the past and will be able to massage my back. So I feel like I have backup techniques as well in case just having read and practiced the stuff from the Hypnobirthing book is not enough.

Good luck with yours! :)

MissusF July 25th, 2012 11:51 AM

Hypnobabies offers a home study for people who can't take the course with an instructor. I think you could probably find those used on ebay for pretty cheap.

tryinfor5 July 25th, 2012 01:02 PM

Excellent suggestions!! I am over on ebay now looking to see what I can find. I will also take a look at books available. :) Hoping to get something soon to get started on!

AnAngelsMommy August 12th, 2012 04:28 PM

I am a FTM so not to sure what will actually work for me but I have asked other mothers and was one of the support people at my sisters natural birth.I plan on having all of these handy.
Shower/bath, tennis ball for back presure, rolling pin for massage(feels so good), Exercise ball, ice packs, hot water bottle, Massage from DH or mom.
I have a sheet printed out with different positions so my DH and Mom can help me find something comfy, Focal point and Music.

Plus then there are the comfort measures I have used already and that have worked well with my pre-term labour, my BH and night pains: My favorite blanket, focal point, dim lighting or no lights and candles.

We will see what i actually use, expecially as I am having a hospital birth, and with baby being breech will no longer be allowed to labour at home. Hope this gives you an idea or two.

hope71012 August 13th, 2012 06:26 AM

I would say researching childbirth and the changes that occur before, during, and after is what really helped me. Along with taking an out of hospital natural childbirth class.

It really, really helped being able to think to myself "Ok, this is getting unbearable and contractions are 3 mins apart, lasting a good minute or more...I must be close to transition." Knowing what needed to happen in order for labor to start (thinning and dilating). Knowing different positions and how to tell DH to support me was also crucial. With my first, I would never have though to labor on my hands and knees or in a side lying position with a body pillow while DH massaged (counter pressure) my back.

Education for me was key for "natural pain relief." Also, I think your caregivers play an important role. My midwives were amazing both during pregnancy and L&D. I had some anxiety on our 50 mile hike to the birth center, but once we got there I had such an overwhelming feeling of peace. Words can't describe how wonderful it was to have my midwife meet us at the car, help me inside, set up DD in the playroom, and just overall having such a calm and encouraging presence. If I was with any other providers, I highly doubt I would have had the same encouragement, calmness, peace, etc.

If you are in a hospital, request a nurse who is experienced with natural childbirth and research your hospital! Some are more NB friendly then others. For DD1, the nurse I had was very pro-epidural. When I got my hospital records, she had it as apart of my "plan of care" to get an epidural 2 hours before I caved. I caved because she wouldn't let me move off my back. So nurses can really help or hinder.

believe in yourself! You can do it!