JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Where are you from? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2570603-where-you.html)

therevslady September 7th, 2012 09:58 AM

Where are you from?

I've noticed quite a few ladies from my area on here. It's great to have connections in the community!

Got me wondering where everyone else lives?! Tell us about the "birth climate" in your area.

BeckyBozeman September 7th, 2012 10:33 AM

Re: Where are you from?

I live in Montana... in the town I live in the whole NCB thing is fairly normal. Of course that may be affected by the fact that I work at a Coop and most of my friends are just a lot more into the natural and green than maybe the mainstream of even our town is. But my midwife did just tell me that Montana actually leads the nation in out of hospital births at 3.46%. Those are the 2010 stats anyway. And our local hospital has a history of being section happy but they've been working hard the last few years to change how they do things and I've been told that it's now a much more NCB friendly L&D department.

MissusF September 7th, 2012 02:49 PM

I live in Central CA (aka the armpit of the country). The birth climate here is pretty awful. I have, however, connected with a handful of local crunchy mamas. Most of them I met in LLL.

d_tops September 8th, 2012 12:36 PM

I live in New England. I think it's pretty mixed here. There are a lot of people who come from all around to finish out high risk pregnancies in Boston, and I think that's a (necessarily) medicalized approach. On the other hand, smaller suburban hospitals are increasingly improving their on-site and affiliated birth centers to provide a more home-like atmosphere with tubs in every room, single sleep-in rooms for partners, water births, etc. Midwivery seems to be popular and well-respected in both types of settings, and there are a lot of doulas working around where I live.

The people I know personally in the area are very pro-intervention, though, so I'm still working on connecting to the crunchier bits of birth around here, but I know there's plenty of it to be found.

*Anna* September 8th, 2012 02:40 PM

I live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. And hate it. We've been here now for almost 3 yrs. after baby is born were hoping to leave the state hopefully DH gets a new job and we can move somewhere with better schools, and better to raise our kids at.

k_hall1784 September 8th, 2012 04:41 PM

I'm in PA. I have no clue what a birth climate is. lol. I am new to this whole NCB thing. lol

therevslady September 8th, 2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_hall1784 (Post 26506111)
I'm in PA. I have no clue what a birth climate is. lol. I am new to this whole NCB thing. lol

Don't know how close you are to Amish country, but if you are anywhere near them then that seems like it would work in your favor!!! Lots of natural births with the Amish!

daneeleigh September 8th, 2012 07:23 PM

I'm originally from Louisiana but now live in San Diego County.

HippyMomOf4 September 9th, 2012 09:56 AM

I"m from central California and the birth climate here is not great! Its starting to get better and my doula circle group is actually starting a Visalia Birth Network group for the area. We are hoping to educate and spread awareness to moms in this area. I really miss living in San Diego because the birth climate is awesome!

therevslady September 9th, 2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HippyMomOf4 (Post 26507863)
I"m from central California and the birth climate here is not great! Its starting to get better and my doula circle group is actually starting a Visalia Birth Network group for the area. We are hoping to educate and spread awareness to moms in this area. I really miss living in San Diego because the birth climate is awesome!

One of my doula friends started a birth network for our state about 4-5 years ago and it has been wonderful! I really see the difference the birth network has been making. It also helps so much with networking with other childbirth professionals and helping Moms get the support and resources they need.

Pinkapple September 10th, 2012 09:34 AM

I live in Douglasville, Georgia. I can't say I love it here, but I don't hate it, either. As for the birth climate, it's kind of hard to say. I'd say not very good for NCB, as most of the women I've met here are baffled by the thought of not using medications, and c-sections are considered the "best" way to give birth. :eek: The best doctor in our area has a c-section rate that is unbelievable...which is why I've chosen to drive an hour out to alpharetta for a more supportive birth.

Luckily, my SO and I are great friends with a wonderful couple. They were childhood friends of his that got married. The wife is a doula, and her husband hosts the GA birth network from his home. They are very passionate about natural birth and have been extremely supportive in our decision. I can't say I would have decided this without them!

tryinfor5 September 10th, 2012 01:49 PM

I live near Roanoke, VA. Honestly, you would think this area would be very NCB friendly. There are so many "woodsy" people. But I have found that it's a mixed bag. The hospital I will deliver at has lots of info about evidence based care, and from my last experience, is pretty NCB friendly. I had an easy labor and delivery though, and sadly opted for an epi (I didn't need one, but didn't know better). The general concensus from the ladies I have spoken to is "why would you NOT take the drugs???". Even at my LLL meetings, my take on NCB is not recipricated throughout the room. I see the desire to do a little better around here, but it just hasn't made it through yet.

Pinkapple September 10th, 2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryinfor5 (Post 26513009)
The general concensus from the ladies I have spoken to is "why would you NOT take the drugs???".

This is basically the general response to NCB around here. Sometimes there's even a highly insulting eye-roll or eye-widening as well. It's so sad that so many women don't trust themselves!

Memi September 10th, 2012 06:09 PM

I live in NW Georgia. I agree with the PP that's it's not the most NCB culture here. I'm one of the crunchier people in my group of friends and I don't consider myself very crunchy at all. My experience with DS made me much prefer the natural way of doing things tho. It is very difficult having to fight against the grain to get the birth I want. Not many people seem to understand where I'm coming from...which is why I lurks here! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MissusF September 10th, 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryinfor5 (Post 26513009)
I live near Roanoke, VA. Honestly, you would think this area would be very NCB friendly. There are so many "woodsy" people. But I have found that it's a mixed bag. The hospital I will deliver at has lots of info about evidence based care, and from my last experience, is pretty NCB friendly. I had an easy labor and delivery though, and sadly opted for an epi (I didn't need one, but didn't know better). The general concensus from the ladies I have spoken to is "why would you NOT take the drugs???". Even at my LLL meetings, my take on NCB is not recipricated throughout the room. I see the desire to do a little better around here, but it just hasn't made it through yet.

I am from Blacksburg and lived in Roanoke for 4 years before moving to California :) I know there was a group trying to open a birth center in Roanoke but I don't know if that ever got off the ground.

tryinfor5 September 11th, 2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissusF (Post 26514978)
I am from Blacksburg and lived in Roanoke for 4 years before moving to California :) I know there was a group trying to open a birth center in Roanoke but I don't know if that ever got off the ground.

Ahh!! What are the chances right?? :) They are still trying to open the birth center here in Roanoke, but are getting blocked by no doctors wanting to back them. They were able to successfully open one in Rocky Mount though!!

How were your feelings on the area? I honestly haven't made a ton of friends here (I stay so busy with family and did not grow up here - been here 9 yrs though). I always feel like this should be a very family friendly area, but am constantly surpised by the lack of availablitly of family friendly options??

Jennifer8080 September 11th, 2012 10:48 AM

I'm in Tampa, FL right now and while NCB isn't the norm it's definitely a very NCB friendly area. There are several options for birth centers or home birth midwives as well as doulas, birth photographers, etc. I've been very happy with my options here, and have met a lot of like minded people. That said, the c-section rates are high! I would not want a hospital birth!

We're moving to Raleigh, NC soon and I'm living in fear of all future births. I will not have a hospital birth, and NC is very anti homebirth so this could get interesting. I may have to be creative.

Calendula September 11th, 2012 02:15 PM

I'm in Norcal and the climate is very mixed. There is open hostility in most of the hospitals towards NCB. Several OBGYNs went to great lengths to get all the MWs kicked out of the local hospitals. Now, there are some MWs who do only homebirths, and my MWs that have small offices for prenatal care in a few counties and then deliver in a birth center attached to throwback Methodist hospital a few hours away that is still fairly tolerant of NCB. That is just straight-up NCB, too. God help you if you are a VBAC heretic, the local hospitals treat you like a nutcase.

bostoncreampie September 11th, 2012 08:38 PM

I live 45 minutes north of Boston.

We have a birth center that is very popular around here, even for mainstream parents who you wouldn't expect to be natural minded. I would say that most of the friends I have who are moms gave birth there. People seem very pro-NCB in my area, for sure. I am very lucky!

MissusF September 11th, 2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryinfor5 (Post 26515671)
Ahh!! What are the chances right?? :) They are still trying to open the birth center here in Roanoke, but are getting blocked by no doctors wanting to back them. They were able to successfully open one in Rocky Mount though!!

How were your feelings on the area? I honestly haven't made a ton of friends here (I stay so busy with family and did not grow up here - been here 9 yrs though). I always feel like this should be a very family friendly area, but am constantly surpised by the lack of availablitly of family friendly options??

That's great they got a birth center started in Rocky Mount. I'm surprised they were able to open one there before Roanoke. It's also surprising there isn't more in the way of alternative birth services since there are a lot of old hippies that settled in the NRV (my parents for example, hah!). Though I do know there are a few home birth midwives around.

I don't know a whole lot about the birth climate and family friendly aspects of Roanoke because I didn't have kids when I lived there. Most of my friends were childless as well and the few who did were a lot more main stream. I hope you're enjoying the area. I love the NRV (Especially Blacksburg and VA Tech) but that's my home town so I'm biased :)