JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Easier if you have already given birth? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2571064-easier-if-you-have-already-given-birth.html)

~ Nicole ~ September 8th, 2012 08:31 PM

Easier if you have already given birth?

We soon start TTC our third and final child. I really want to do natural childbirth either at home or a birthing center because with this being my last child I want the full experience pain and all. What I am wondering from those with experience is natural childbirth generally easier with 2nd or later pregnancies since labor is usually shorter than the first time?

My first pregnancy I had early epidural and felt nothing for most of labor and the entire birth. My second pregnancy I got to the hospital only 1 hour before giving birth so they had barely gotten the epidural started when I needed to push so this time I felt a lot more than the first time and it was quite painful. So if my third labor is shorter than the first two I am thinking that I can handle going all the way natural this time.

Sweetpea24 September 8th, 2012 09:16 PM

Re: Easier if you have already given birth?

Labor is not always shorter. my first was 9hrs. my 4th and 5th, were even longer. But i don't know if that was cause i was induced or not. Is it easier, well i guess for me it wasn't, but it's different for everyone though.

~ Nicole ~ September 8th, 2012 09:37 PM

My mom who had 5 kids told me each labor was faster than the last. My first labor was 15 hours from when pain started until birth and my second labor had a whole day of painless contractions and only about 7 hours of painful contractions before birth. I was expecting the third time to have less time in pain :o I still want to have natural be my goal.

Jennifer8080 September 11th, 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ (Post 26506840)
My mom who had 5 kids told me each labor was faster than the last. My first labor was 15 hours from when pain started until birth and my second labor had a whole day of painless contractions and only about 7 hours of painful contractions before birth. I was expecting the third time to have less time in pain :o I still want to have natural be my goal.

Generally it is, but not always. My son's labor was shorter overall by a few hours but the time I was in active hard labor was double what it was with my daughter. It was a much harder labor because of his position. That said, I still did it totally natural. You can definitely do it if you have your mind set on it!

Calendula September 11th, 2012 01:50 PM

Natural works better if you're confident in your body and not afraid of facing childbirth. For a lot of moms, I think this is easier to obtain if labor and delivery aren't a complete unknown. I think having attended several natural childbirths made going natural my first time easier on me. It was all about doing what you could to feel prepared and confident in yourself and your choice. I'm pregnant for the second time, but won't be able to tell you if the second delivery was easier until 2013. ;)

therevslady September 12th, 2012 05:02 AM

I believe every labor is unique to your baby's situation. Since the nature of birth is relational, between you and another person (your baby), I don't believe it all depends on the experience that your body has. I do feel that it makes a difference in pushing. Many 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ time moms simply have an easier time pushing because they remember what worked for them (and what didn't) in the past. Sometimes having experience also gives a mother confidence and she will surrender to the process easier and have less mental roadblocks to clear (not always the case though).

HippyMomOf4 September 21st, 2012 10:55 AM

For me my labors have been long, short, long, short.(13.5hrs, 6hrs, 14hrs, and 5hrs) So I don't think they always get easier but for some people they do. I will add my babies always come out posterior because of my pelvis so that does make my labors harder and a little longer. Had my last child been anterior my labor would have been like 2.5hrs.

Earthy.Mama September 24th, 2012 10:49 AM

Kailey's birth was like a textbook script.
Nola's birth, I had prodromal labor off and on for 2 days, it was exhausting. Actual labor itself was only 12hrs.