JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Which is "easier?" (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2579196-easier.html)

therevslady September 30th, 2012 03:35 PM

Which is "easier?"

Who here has had both a medicated (pain meds) and a non-medicated birth?

What sort of medication did you have?

Which birth was "easier"?

bostoncreampie September 30th, 2012 07:46 PM

Re: Which is "easier?"

I have had both. With my first, I got an epidural at 6 cms and ended up with a low dose of pitocin afterward. My second was completely intervention free. I used hypnobabies for it. My natural birth itself was way easier than my medicated one. But I don't know if I can say it was easier overall, because I was very good about listening to all my hypnobabies tracks every day faithfully and it was very time consuming. There was no preparation with my first birth. I am curious to see how the third goes, as I have not done Hypnobabies every day like I should.

ashj_1218 October 1st, 2012 08:42 AM

I have done both as well. My first birth was my natural non-intervention birth. My second was augmented with pitocin and I had a 1/2 shot of Nubain.

My first birth was easy. I had about 30 minutes of intense discomfort in the whole time, about halfway into pushing until after they did a couple stitches where I tore a bit. Not even transition was hard, just required a lot of concentration. It was absolutely my ideal birth (except the NICU, but I couldn't have done anything about the gestation he decided to come...36 weeks).

My second birth was pretty hateful. But more because of the pitocin than the Nubain (which does exactly nothing but make you a little drowsy). Pitocin contractions hurt like the devil. I had an IV which pumped lots of fluids into me. So I felt uncomfortable most of the time. Even looking at pictures afterward, I look like heck following my second birth. My first, I was shining and full of energy.

So my first birth was much easier. And I plan to do whatever I need to to avoid pitocin or other interventions for my third birth.

Sweetpea24 October 1st, 2012 10:42 AM

I got a epidural with my last child, and i got a shot with my first but i can't remember what it was called Nub something i think. That worked great, the epi not so much, for me the all natural birth over any meds anyday. For me i love the feel of it/and the pushing. going med free was a lot easyier for me, everyone is different though.

Surrounded October 1st, 2012 09:58 PM

Had something that knocked me out until they gave me an epidural with the first one. With my second son I had no drugs except they insist on hooking you up to pitocin afterward regardless of how much you pushed out. Recovery and everything afterward was much better and easier with my second.

Earthy.Mama October 23rd, 2012 02:17 PM

I am so not the right person to answer this :lol:

First child, lots of research, TONS of research, Bradley book, felt 100% confident and happy, could not WAIT for labor to start! Labored at home until 8cm I think - completely painless. Yes, painless. Went to hospital, was 9.5 when I got there, again still painless. Did not like being so restricted in the hospital, the nurse was rude, MW started going back on some things she said she "allowed" like eating (which I did anyway). Being uncomfortable my contrax started slowing and my cervix started closing, this lasted for about 2hrs and that was painful. Had to get pit and epi. If I had had a homebirth, I'm positive I would have had a completely 100% pain free birth.

Second child, same MW, homebirth, but the contractions hurt like the dickens for the majority of it. I didn't go all involved on the NCB research b/c I felt like I was still prepared from the previous. Now I know that I still need to re-read all that stuff b/c it helped get me in the right mind-frame.

Baby #3 - Another homebirth, different MW, going to prepare like I did with #1 and hopefully it can be painless again! Just have to do the whole "get pregnant" thing :)

Sweet_Mama November 25th, 2012 12:29 AM

First one I had the epi and labored for about 4 hours and didnt feel much pain. The only reason I got the epi was because I was scared it was going to hurt too much and didnt want to be told it was too late. I couldnt feel anything except that I needed to poop and didnt think it was the baby. I was so numb I didnt feel baby coming out til he was already out. I hated feeling numb for such a long time and I couldnt do anything about it.

My second was all natural. I went to the hospital with a little pain and labored in a hospital bath until I felt the urge to push. I asked for the epidural and they made me get out and checked me and I was fully dialated. There wasnt much pain like I had anticipated but I got that " ring of fire" sensation when he was crowning. Afterwards I felt great about myself and that I could walk and didnt have any drugs or anything in my system.

kristiemarie518 November 25th, 2012 08:04 AM

I'm kind of proud to be able to post here.

My first, I was induced with pitocin and had an epi. Some complications during delivery with my dds heart rate but the labor itself was easy because I didn't feel anything. I labored for 5 and a half hours and pushed for 20.minutes. my recovery time was long, painful and difficult emotionally. I looked like I'd been hit by a truck. I couldn't get out of bed for a day or shower on my own at first.

My second, I fully intended on an epi but my little darling had other plans. I made it to the hospital 45 minutes before she was born. The pain of this labor was awful. I think probably because I was not ready to labor without drugs and couldn't get myself together. I seriously can't describe how terrible it was for me. My water broke and labor progressed so quickly. I labored for 4 hours and pushed for maybe 5 minutes. However, my recovery has been faster, less painful and much easier, despite having a second degree tear. I was up walking around hours after delivery. I felt great.

I don't know if I could go into labor with the intent of being unmediated but I'm pretty proud to say I've done it.course I'm also only 2 weeks pp and its still fresh. Lol I assume it would be different if I had been under control during my labor. You ladies who choose it ROCK!

therevslady November 25th, 2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristiemarie518 (Post 26801025)
I'm kind of proud to be able to post here.

My first, I was induced with pitocin and had an epi. Some complications during delivery with my dds heart rate but the labor itself was easy because I didn't feel anything. I labored for 5 and a half hours and pushed for 20.minutes. my recovery time was long, painful and difficult emotionally. I looked like I'd been hit by a truck. I couldn't get out of bed for a day or shower on my own at first.

My second, I fully intended on an epi but my little darling had other plans. I made it to the hospital 45 minutes before she was born. The pain of this labor was awful. I think probably because I was not ready to labor without drugs and couldn't get myself together. I seriously can't describe how terrible it was for me. My water broke and labor progressed so quickly. I labored for 4 hours and pushed for maybe 5 minutes. However, my recovery has been faster, less painful and much easier, despite having a second degree tear. I was up walking around hours after delivery. I felt great.

I don't know if I could go into labor with the intent of being unmediated but I'm pretty proud to say I've done it.course I'm also only 2 weeks pp and its still fresh. Lol I assume it would be different if I had been under control during my labor. You ladies who choose it ROCK!

Haha. Two weeks postpartum after each of my natural births, I kind of had the attitude of "Ugh." I had a little bit of birth high, but also a bit of aversion as well. It fades. And the benefits are amazing. Great job at a freakishly awesome labor! Yay for healthy mama and healthy baby!

daneeleigh December 11th, 2012 11:13 AM

My experience with back labor was painful but it isn't enough to detour me from doing it again. I fully support my choices in NCB.

Now if you're asking the question in which I actually think is easier, of course I think having an epi is easier. My cousin gave birth the same day as me and her pictures are like night and day from mine. I had been in and out of the tub and shower several times so my hair is a mess from sweat and water. I'm covered in tears and running left over mascara. I was a mess in my pictures. Hers, she looks like a model after just pushing out her kid! She didn't break a sweat lol. Of course it's easier a majority of the time in my opinion. It's not the epi I'm scared of though. It's the pitocin and the increase in csection that comes with an epi. If you could gaurantee me that those would not be pushed but I could get an epi then maybe my view would be different. But unfortunately that's not how it works. Once you have an epi you're stuck on your back and then labor can stall then bring in the pit....... Sorry I just rambled lol....

I'll take my NCB any day because there's a high and a feeling of accomplishment you can't get from anything else. Plus I know it's best for me and my baby. Sometimes what's easiest in life isn't the best.

mommy2skyty January 5th, 2013 10:03 PM

Who here has had both a medicated (pain meds) and a non-medicated birth? I did! I am new and my name is Kelly. I had my daughter in Feb of 08 with an epidural and I had my son in Sep of 09 with no medication.

What sort of medication did you have? Epidural and pitocin with my daughter, with my son I had nothing because I was progressing too fast!

Well I got an epidural with my daughter when I was 6-7 cm dialated and right after my water broke the contrations got really painful! Once I got my epidural I had no pain at all and was very numb I couldn't ever really feel when I needed to push. I felt like I wasn't really experiencing labor and it seemed like it took a long time for the epidural to wear off for me to be able to walk. I tore pretty badly because I pushed too fast so my recovery was no fun!

With my son I was already 8 cm when I got to the hospital and by the time I got to my room I was 9-10and just waiting a little longer to push. I had no time for any medication and I had no choice but to deliver him all on my own. I must admit I was soo afriad that I couldn't do it but my OB had lots of faith in me. I will never forget my urge to push and I just knew that I was really experiencing labor full force this time around and even though I was in pain my body just pushed right though. I even had a mirror and I couldn't see his head at first but then I was able to see his head. I now know that the "ring of fire" moment would be coming so I just somehow pushed through the pain and then saw his body come up and then they put my son on my chest and all my pain instantly vanished! I was soo amazed at myself and just filled with soo many emotions. I had a wonderful recovering and just a very small tear and my son breastfed right away and continued on for 3 years, he he! But yes the birth of my son was the most amazing experience I have ever gone through and everytime I pass the hospital I am reminded of that. I am soo looking forward to expierencing it again this August!

jhmomofmany January 6th, 2013 02:14 PM

Who here has had both a medicated (pain meds) and a non-medicated birth?
I have! I've had four hospital births and three home births.

What sort of medication did you have?
My oldest was 15 weeks early, so they gave me meds to try to stall labor, help me calm down- I don't honestly know what all they gave me. I had an epidural for my second labor, and I hated it. I wanted a drug-free birth for my third, but was given pain med via IV against my consent. :( Fourth was drug-free hospital birth, and the rest were born at home with no interventions.

My homebirths were much less traumatic and very much more rewarding personally as well as being easier to recover from physically. I "needed" an episiotomy and stitches for each of my hospital births, yet never had a single tear when delivering at home. The only exception is the afterpains which I swear get worse every time... by 12 hours after giving birth THAT'S when I'm wishing I had drugs, LOL!

alittlelost January 6th, 2013 03:40 PM

I've had 2 epi births and 1 natural birth. My epi births were good EXCEPT FOR the epi. With my first, they literally almost paralyzed me. With my second, they literally almost killed me. And the stress of the hospital, having to sneak food because it wasn't "allowed", dealing with the staff, being stuck to an IV...the list goes on and on. I would never again have another hospital or medicated birth by choice.

tryinfor5 January 15th, 2013 06:13 AM

I can finally respond to this thread! :) I have to say that my unmedicated birth was easier in many ways.

The first birth I had an epi, catheter, and ended up with numbness in my left leg to this day. I felt powerless and removed from the experience. It's like it wasn't really happening because I didn't feel anything like I had read that I would.

My unmedicated birth (although unusual because of it's speed) was a time that I have never felt so in tune with my body. And the feeling of when that baby is born, and you acknowledge that you just gave birth to another person completely natural. it's indescribable.

beamermarie January 15th, 2013 11:43 AM

Thank you ladies, so much for this thread! I want to go natural, but am a bit afraid. I just printed this out, and plan to read it during labor when I lose my resolve!!

CardozaMaMa8784 January 16th, 2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashj_1218 (Post 26595335)
My second birth was pretty hateful. But more because of the pitocin than the Nubain (which does exactly nothing but make you a little drowsy). Pitocin contractions hurt like the devil. I had an IV which pumped lots of fluids into me. So I felt uncomfortable most of the time. Even looking at pictures afterward, I look like heck following my second birth. My first, I was shining and full of energy.

i actually have a photo of me flipping off the camera.....I was miserable and tired even though i was numb (sorta) waist down. I had like 6 ppl in the room with me. DH was one nad he was playing xbox with his friend, two other women i knew and 2 kids. all but DH and the 2 ladies were left when it came time to push and i made it hell for one who was holding my hand. I tore so bad it wasnt funny because the dr was rushing the birth. this was from my first pregnancy.

Trust me after my son i learned that NO electronics will be allowed in the room when i deliver again, because DH was on the laptop during my sons birth, well while i was in pain at 6 cm that is until the guy came to do my epidural.

raniaviv February 5th, 2013 06:10 AM

I think it depends on the person. But don't do anything without consulting a doctor first.

therevslady February 5th, 2013 02:31 PM

I agree- which is why I am asking which was easier for people who have experienced both....

And I don't necessarily think everyone here will agree with "consulting a doctor" first. Many of us (not all) use Midwives because most doctors do not practice evidence-based care when it comes to birth. You must remember that YOU are ultimately responsible for you care- your care provider simply gives you their opinion based on their knowledge and training (which differs person to person).

Erin.minus.thyroid February 6th, 2013 09:01 PM

i have had both and I found the natural birth to be much easier, less painful, and easier to recover from.

kim786 February 8th, 2013 11:34 PM

Hi...
I don't any idea about this ,but i really enjoyed your stories and experience.