JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Hospital birthers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2584275-hospital-birthers.html)

therevslady October 13th, 2012 02:58 PM

Hospital birthers

Did your nurses know how to help you labor naturally? Were they familiar with an active natural birther, or did it seem new to them?

Surrounded October 13th, 2012 09:47 PM

Re: Hospital birthers

The nurses I had just didn't seem to care! The main nurse I had with my last birth (my completely natural one) was aweful. I had 1 comfortable position to lay in and she constantly came in my room and randomly readjusted my bed causing serious discomfort and when the overwhelming urge to push came and I told her I had to push she told me to pant like a dog as she walked out of my room.

Honestly, I think the nurses react and respond differently depending on the OB. With my first son even though I had an epi I had told my dr I wanted natural (husband made the epi choice for me. He was slightly panicked.). But, she was known as a fabulous dr who did things naturally and easily, non-rushed. The nurses really followed her lead. The dr with my second was here there and everywhere and barely made it for the delivery even though she was in the hospital. She wasn't as relaxed or compassionate and so neither were any of the nurses.

LadyCoconut October 14th, 2012 05:08 PM

With my first the nurse hasn't seen many pain med free births ( I had pre e so it wasn't natural but I didn't have an epi and avoided as many interventions as I could) anyway she seemed hopeful I'd do it and wasn't condescending. I ignored everyone so we didn't have much interaction.

I don't even think there was a nurse when I had Emmett? lol. I mean I watched the video and there was someone there but I don't think we spoke or she did anything. Again, I go in the zone during my birthing time. I am silent with my eyes closed the whole time.

Jannell October 14th, 2012 08:31 PM

My main nurse with my daughter was pretty awesome! She helped and did what she needed to do without being pushy or annoyed. But the other nurse was a total dumb butt. She couldn't get my IV in and basically blamed me and told me,"The faster she could get it in the faster I could get the epi." Argh ! I wanted to punch her!

Calendula October 14th, 2012 11:27 PM

Aside from wanting me to go on the monitors every so often, and one idiot asking me what I was so afraid of with getting pain meds, the nurses made themselves pretty scarce, which I liked. When they realized I was a MW patient not down with interventions, they pretty much threw their hands up and let me be the MW's problem. That was totally fine with me.

New_England_Girl October 15th, 2012 08:39 AM

My nurses have always been awesome. But...the hospital where I give birth is incredibly NCB-friendly, so there's never a question. My last birth (#3) went so incredibly fast, and was so intense because of that, and my labor nurse was so understanding and so helpful, trying to get me comfortable. I was in the tub, out of the tub, walking, puking, laying, walking, puking, rocking, etc. and she was a great support.

daneeleigh October 15th, 2012 11:59 AM

Gosh, that's the part that scares me. I have to be a labor and delivery nurse before I can apply for my graduate school for Midwifery and I can see this not going well. I can only imagine my reaction to seeing a nurse be rude to a patient trying to go natural. Ugh, it's NOT their body. It's almost like their jealous that they didn't do it so they want to see them break and get the epi. I seriously think that's what it is.

tryinfor5 October 15th, 2012 12:12 PM

I ended up with an epi, but prior to that the nurse I had was great in just leaving me be. She even tried to get me in the shower before I got the epi cause she knew I wanted natural. I am hopeful of getting another nurse like that!!

Blessed.Life October 15th, 2012 08:28 PM

I went to an amazing hospital that has a birth center inside of L&D -- if you deliver there you can not have an dpi so the nurses pretty much see nothing but natural births there. It is AMAZING!

PinkFireFly October 15th, 2012 11:59 PM

For me, the nurses knew I wanted to birth naturally so I got the big birthing room with a tub and shower. They brought me a birthing ball, and that was about it. They didn't offer me pain meds, and would come in every couple of hours to check on me but never gave much advice.

Earthy.Mama October 16th, 2012 09:53 AM

I only had 1 hospital birth, and the nurse was very rude.

daneeleigh October 16th, 2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessed.Life (Post 26657027)
I went to an amazing hospital that has a birth center inside of L&D -- if you deliver there you can not have an dpi so the nurses pretty much see nothing but natural births there. It is AMAZING!

We have one here like that at UCSD. I'm not sure if that's the one you went to but I've thought about going there possibly. San Diego has too many options lol.

rverrone11 October 16th, 2012 09:37 PM

I had a hospital birth with my first. The nurses were great! They left us alone to do our own thing (I labored in the tub for the most part). I was lucky to have such great nurses. :)

rlh27 October 17th, 2012 07:08 AM

I was talking to a friend last night about this. She's had 2 NCB at the hospital I'm delivering at and she says as soon as you get there they try to force you onto continuous monitoring and you actually have to have your doctor tell them that you don't need it. For her middle birth, her only non-NCB, they convinced her to get on pitocin to speed up labor, but ironically, it ended up being her longest labor. She said once the doctor tells them to just let you labor as you wish, and just check periodically (or when she wants to be), then they leave you alone. So I think when we're on the way to the hospital I'll call my doctor and have her call L&D to tell them to not bother me, then I won't have to deal with it at all :)

ashj_1218 October 17th, 2012 01:02 PM

I don't remember much of my nurse when I had my older son. I know she was an IDIOT when it came to pushing. She wouldn't let me put my leg down and take a deep breath (and I don't believe there was anything wrong, requiring me to get him out quickly). I yelled and kicked at her and she finally backed down. That is the only thing I remember about her though. She certainly didn't bother me during labor. But when you show up at the hospital 8cm dilated and are still walking around and joking...I don't think anyone realized how far along I was, so no one started to offer me anything.

My nurse with my second was awesome. She was part of the reason I did end up having a natural birth. She was supportive and offered me options when things got tough in that labor. Me having interventions was not at ALL on her...but my doctor who was panicked and apparently in a hurry.

I have an "in" at the hospital now (I am good friends with one of my nurses from Kierans stay, not the delivery one though) and she knows who is very pro NCB and who will give me heck...so I'll just request a switch if I get one she warns me against.

BeachMum October 18th, 2012 12:34 PM

With #3 they weren't very good about it and gave me pit which I hated and checked me all the time. :(

With #4 at a smaller hospital, they were GREAT about it. Never asked me if I wanted meds (which I didn't need at all because I didn't hurt until right when it was time to push). The first nurse I had wouldn't let me move or anything and that sucked but the nurse that came in an hour later let me do what I wanted and told to move and labor how I wanted. My OB even let me start pushing on my hands and knees which was much more comfortable for me, until they lost the baby's heartbeat and then he flipped me over and got the baby out (the placenta abrupted right when I started pushing). It was a great experience (aside from the abruption) and I was very thankful that they let me call the shots pretty much.

ChicaChels October 19th, 2012 08:03 AM

with Brylie, I had one nurse whom was newly pregnant with her first when I went in (induction for hellp) she was okay - she was kind of taken aback when I told her I didn't want cytotec (actually ended up consenting after a long, long, long discussion and consideration - was not forced into it at all) All she really did was start my IV...I got admitted at 4, and my new nurse came on at 7 - dana - loved her so much - still keep in touch with her a little bit. Spent most of the night talking to her while sam slept....she left at 7AM and we had a horrible nurse who made a stink about me dripping water (after ROM) all over the room - didn't want me out of bed, even though my CNM told both her and me several times, as long as I was on a monitor she didn't care where I was in the hospital really, and all I wanted to do was sit on the toilet (5 feet away from my bed!) ... she left at 7pm and dana came back in and i was totally reliant on Dana....i dont know what i would've done without her. With nurse prissy pants in there, i stalled at 6cm for 9 hours...dana came on at 7, was totally supportive and I had a baby by 1030. I asked Dana several times if she'd ever had an epidural and she said she hadn't, but she'd never been induced so she didn't know what it was like and she would help me through natural labor, if that's really what I wanted because she knew from the night before I was really set on it - she got me into some really great positions, got me a tens unit, rubbed my back so sam could have a break..she was really wonderful.

With hunter, the nurses were awesome - but I walked in pushing so they didn't have to do much. There were 7 of them in my room when he was born lol

mamatomany October 19th, 2012 10:15 AM

At all of mine the nurses have been very positive and excited. They have been very good about leaving me alone to do what I want (that's what I wanted).

My last delivery I heard them comparing it to driving up a huge mountain while listening to your iPod (with an epi) vs climbing up on your hands and knees (natural). They seemed very pleased about me and both nurses said they planned on going natural when they had babies.