JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Question about midwife and high risk (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2603244-question-about-midwife-and-high-risk.html)

Kinethra December 7th, 2012 10:02 AM

Question about midwife and high risk

I am planning on seeing a CNM for my birth. I've been concerned that they might classify me as high risk due to my weight alone. I am 294 pounds, 5'5", but have no other health problems. I exercise and eat not amazing, but not bad either. Lots of vegetables and good proteins. But sometimes Ramen cause it's cheap!

Is there anyone else who is around that weight that has been considered High Risk and had a midwife still see them?

therevslady December 7th, 2012 10:44 AM

Re: Question about midwife and high risk

I was considered high risk from OB's bc of heart issues, but the midwives never classified me as anything. Midwives often don't say anything about your weight if your bloodwork and BP look good. That's just my experience though

Kinethra December 7th, 2012 10:59 AM

Alright, thank you :). I just really don't want a hospital birth!

therevslady December 7th, 2012 12:13 PM

Are you hoping for a home birth or birth center birth?

Kinethra December 9th, 2012 08:32 AM

We are planning for a birth center birth. The place is about 2 hours from us, but worth it!

I'm terrified to have my baby at the house, mostly because I just feel like it could not possibly be clean enough ever

therevslady December 9th, 2012 02:55 PM

From what I understand (we don't have any birth centers around here *yet*), you can risk out of a birth center much like risking out of a home birth. Each situation is different depending on your midwive's comfort level. The way some of my midwife friends have put it is: being obese or over 35 do not make you high risk in and of themselves, but they raise your chances for high risk scenarios to occur, so they watch you a bit more closely. KWIM?

Kinethra December 9th, 2012 04:00 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. The women I am going to see are Nurse Midwives (Since they are actually covered by insurance). I got in touch with them and talked about it and they said that is definitely not a big factor in high risk since I have no other health problems. But that they will do a full assessment on my first visit to know for sure. So that gave me a lot of hope, too. I'm just mostly excited now :).