JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Hi Ladies! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2612427-hi-ladies.html)

marriedtoamountie January 7th, 2013 06:30 PM

Hi Ladies!

I'm Nicole, welcoming number 3 in July... maybe August with my history :lol: My first were both overdue (one 1.5 weeks and one 2.5 weeks) so my DD means nothing to me :lol: I'm looking forward to a natural delivery, low key and relaxing. I was lucky (in a way) with my first two that they were both posterior and so I had one small area of back labour. With both I showed up to the hospital about 2 hours after my labour started at 7cm :) I wasn't happy with the medical advice given with my first two regarding their presentation and have made it my mission to educate myself as much as possible in the event of another sunny-side-up presentation! :) I look forward to chatting with all of you!

daneeleigh January 8th, 2013 01:12 AM

Re: Hi Ladies!

Welcome, have you looked into doing Spinning Babies moves while pregnant? My baby was believed to be in the perfect position until labor started and I stalled out for a few hours. It wasn't until I did some SB moves that it unjarred him but he was still in a weird position.

keekopeeko January 8th, 2013 04:49 AM

Baby number 3 was posterior for me and really there is no way I could have pushed him out that way... As soon as I turned onto my hands and knees though one contraction later he flipped and out he came... I give HUGE props to any mama that actually delivers a baby in the posterior position!

Husher January 8th, 2013 05:40 AM

Welcome, Nicole! So happy to have you here!

keekopeeko January 8th, 2013 08:20 AM

BTW I am curious what sort of educating is there that should be done about posterior positioned babies?? Am I missing something?

GranolaMamaOf3 January 8th, 2013 08:43 AM

Welcome! I'm SO excited to see so many of my fellow DDC members joining in here! I've never had that before! :D

NinjaCakes January 8th, 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMama (Post 26948153)
Welcome! I'm SO excited to see so many of my fellow DDC members joining in here! I've never had that before! :D

Agreed :) Welcome!

marriedtoamountie January 12th, 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keekopeeko (Post 26948081)
BTW I am curious what sort of educating is there that should be done about posterior positioned babies?? Am I missing something?

It could just be the area where I lived (very rural) with my last two babies, but upon arrival at the hospital they discovered while checking me for progress that baby was posterior and they explained to us it was unsafe to deliver posterior babies without an epidural. They said that without the epidural things remain too tight and it becomes a dangerous situation for baby. They said the epidural allows for every muscle to relax (and let your body tense only the ones required). My husband and I were both baffled as I wasn't in pain... well a little I guess, but maybe a 3/10 which for 7cm isn't bad at all. Now I don't (and my children) don't react well to medication at all, but the doctors really stressed that the use of the epidural outweighs any negative side effects of the medication (which we currently don't believe to be true in our case). Also with my first, the doctor told us that baby wouldn't be able to make it through the birth canal (I wasn't allowed to switch positions, just sitting on the birthing bed) without assistance, so they used the vacuum and episiotomies were performed. Many things went wrong with both deliveries, and part of the problem was with our first we never had really looked into what a posterior presentation entailed, and with our second the Dr's had thought baby was presenting perfect a few days before and said our chances of two posties in a row was slim to none. With this baby, I want to be prepared. We want to know the truth about posterior deliveries, risks to baby and mama, best delivery positions, positions to avoid, is medication really necessary... I don't know. I just feel medication was excessive and useless with my first two and that birthing position would have made all the difference in the world, kwim??

alittlelost January 12th, 2013 02:30 PM

sorry to hear about your poor birth experiences, and sounds like the hospital was feeding you a line . . . :(

I second looking into spinning babies. And maybe also going for a midwife/birth center this time.

therevslady January 12th, 2013 03:56 PM

Welcome! So glad to have you here!