JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Where to start?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2612548-where-to-start.html)

momology January 8th, 2013 07:26 AM

Where to start??

So now that I have finally started my actual research into this I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I saw the reading list and it looks like there are a ton of great options on there but I was wondering if anyone had a website or book suggestion on where I should start. I am 11 weeks 2 days pregnant.

I received "The Other Baby Book" for Christmas but it is mostly about baby's first year and was very broad on all the pregnancy stuff.

I have my first meeting with my new OBGYN on Thursday and I was also hoping to get a list of questions together for her if anyone has any suggestions on that as well.

I feel so nervous all of the sudden :o

NinjaCakes January 8th, 2013 09:34 PM

Re: Where to start??

It is overwhelming, isn't it? There is so much information and so many resources. It makes your head spin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momology (Post 26947822)
I have my first meeting with my new OBGYN on Thursday and I was also hoping to get a list of questions together for her if anyone has any suggestions on that as well.

I would recommend asking them if seeing this OB is going to eliminate your option to switch doctors if you don't like him or her. I didn't ask and now am being told I cannot switch. Otherwise, I wrote out a list of questions, such as hospital policy on inductions and c-sections, the OBs rate of both, and what his/her view of birth is (do they prefer natural or "rushed" with interventions, etc).

Good luck!

daneeleigh January 9th, 2013 04:22 AM

What kind of birth are you planning? In your head, what is the perfect labor you envision? I think figure that out and go from there. I still couldn't answer that at 37 weeks lol. But I really didn't do my research ahead of time. I took a 7 week NCB class but Idk why I didn't do more. I wish I would have watch The Business of Being Born before I gave birth lol. It covered many topics I didn't think about. Thank goodness we had a doula though!

GranolaMamaOf3 January 9th, 2013 07:40 AM

Do watch the Business of Being Born! It's excellent and will help get you started.

Some questions to consider asking your Dr;
*What are your guidelines concerning weight gain, nutrition, prenatal vitamins, and exercise?
*How would you handle Preeclampsia?
*How do you feel about labor induction prior to 39 weeks? Search results*|*March of Dimes
*Will you allow a mother to go a full 42 weeks before induction? The Truth About Inducing Labor: What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
*How long will you allow a mother to labor before turning to pitocin/medications to speed things up?
*Do your routinely break the bags of water/rupture the amniotic membranes in labor?
*In what case would you deem a c-section necessary? Ie; Breach? Baby "too big" (and how to you determine that?)? Past EDD (by how long?)? Following a long labor/"failure to progress"? etc.. Top Ten Signs Your Doctor Is Planning To Perform An Unnecessary Cesarean Section On You | Frisco Women's Health Blog
*How do you feel about routine IV's? Is hep-lock an option instead? http://motherloveblog.com/2012/11/26...y-weight-loss/
*How do you feel about continual fetal monitoring? Do you have a portable monitor, or allow intermittent instead?
*Do you allow mothers to eat/drink and move around freely during labor?
*What would you do in the case of meconium?
*Do you preform routine episiotomies?
*Do you routinely give pitocin after birth?
*Do you allow delayed cord clamping? Science & Sensibility Common Objections to Delayed Cord Clamping – What’s The Evidence Say? The Most Harmful Medical Intervention Is Done to All of Us - La Leva di Archimede (ENG)
*How do you feel about Doulas being present?
*How do you feel about a Birth Plan?
*What percentage of your patients have vaginal births?
*What percentage of your patients have natural/Unmediated births?

(If anyone can think of anything I've missed, please add to this list!)

I have provided you with a few link for your own research, but I wouldn't necessarily go into the appointment, guns blazing, armed with a bunch of scientific facts. Not yet at least. ;) Ask your questions, and simply listen to how the Dr responds. You should get a really good view on their perspective of birth, and a feel for how they handle labor and birth by their responses. Hopefully they will be respectful of your questions and answer them in a way that keeps you in charge of decision making. If after the appointment you feel reassured and confident in their care, great! But if you are left with a negative impression, follow your intuition and consider seeking out an alternative care provider.Good luck!! :)

GranolaMamaOf3 January 9th, 2013 07:40 AM

:doublepost:

momology January 9th, 2013 12:14 PM

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! That is an amazing list Heather!!!!!!!!!! So many of those are exact questions I have been thinking but couldn't quite figure out the appropriate terms or phrasing! I am so grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also planning to pick up Husband Coached Childbirth you recommended in a different post. I already read all the free parts on Amazon and ordered it :giggle:

Thanks so much for all the help ladies!!!

GranolaMamaOf3 January 9th, 2013 12:15 PM

You are so very welcome! :)

momology January 9th, 2013 12:27 PM

Oh and the Business of Being Born is on Netflix watch instantly! So I will be able to watch it tonight! I am very excited :D

KtKuKi January 9th, 2013 07:10 PM

I would also suggest seeking out natural birth friendly OB's if you aren't set on your OB. No matter what an OB tells you, it can all change when you go into labor. My OB assured me that she was completely on board with all my plans, and then was pushing induction right at 40 weeks, and trying to talk me into a c-section after labor stalled for a few hours. I wish I had asked people for recommendations, so that is my best advice:)

NinjaCakes January 9th, 2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momology (Post 26953651)
Oh and the Business of Being Born is on Netflix watch instantly! So I will be able to watch it tonight! I am very excited :D

Great choice!!

daneeleigh January 10th, 2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momology (Post 26953651)

Is it really? I watched it on the computer... Darn, wish I had known lol.