JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Not sure if I can do it... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2613393-not-sure-if-i-can-do.html)

Avery'sMommy430 January 10th, 2013 10:14 AM

Not sure if I can do it...

Hi ladies!

My name is Jessica. I have a 2.5 yr old son and we're just starting to TTC #2. With my son, Avery, I had a pretty traditional birth and an epidural The epidural left me with a MAJOR headache for over a week and I had to stay in the hospital longer and have an extra procedure with fluid put back into my epidural site. So, needless to say I'm not excited about another epidural. I've pretty much made my mind up that I won't have one...but I'm so scared! I feel like I'm a big wimp and I don't know if I can do a natural birth.

Does anyone have experience with both? Was it a lot harder with a natural birth?

keekopeeko January 10th, 2013 11:17 AM

Re: Not sure if I can do it...

Did your baby get to stay with you the extra time?? My SIL had to go back to the hospital for a spinal headache and leave her baby home.. That TERRIFIED me! I knew I would not under any circumstances want that to be a reason for needing to leave my child so that is why I even went natural to begin with!!!

I've not done it both ways,. Just natural.. But I wanted to say if you go into it thinking one contraction at a time! And if you aren't really gung ho about all natural you could tell yourself you have other medication options (nubain etc)... And maybe that will just help you feel better.. Second labor and deliveries are generally faster anyhow! I bet you would be able to do it just fine!

chachartier January 10th, 2013 12:08 PM

You should read the birth without fear blog... so inspiring!

I am allergic to anesthesia, so I knew ahead of time that I could not have an epidural. I prepared myself by taking Bradley Method classes, which are primarily focused on natural childbirth and natural parenting afterwards. I love every minute of Bradley Method and, although I had complete back labor (never felt a contraction in my uterus, just in my back), I was able to deliver naturally a healthy, 38 week 8lb 10oz boy. I'm SUPER excited to do it again a few more times :) you are born with the power to get that little baby out without medical intervention, and it is rare that any kind of intervention is actually necessary :) you can do it!!!

Avery'sMommy430 January 10th, 2013 12:57 PM

Thank you so much. I did get to keep Avery with me the full time...he was never out of my sight except once to bathe....I was just miserable and had to lie flat basically the whole time.

Labor and delivery were a complete breeze with him. I was in labor less than 6 hours and pushed for just a little over half an hour....but I attributed the ease to the epidural. I'll definitely read up on it.

keekopeeko January 10th, 2013 02:32 PM

That's short!! You'll be great! You can handle anything for 6 hours!

alittlelost January 10th, 2013 05:33 PM

I've done both. It was "harder" pain wise to do it natural but easier in EVERY other way to do it natural. anyone can do it. Millions of women have. Epidurals didn't always exist. If you do it, you'll be glad in the end you did. I have mine in birth centers though because I know I would cave if I have a hospital birth (especially under the harassment of hospital personal)

daneeleigh January 11th, 2013 02:20 AM

I would recommend looking into Natural Child Birth classes because they focus on laboring techniques and pain management. You could also hire a doula who could keep you focused and set on your goal. You can definitely do it. Your body was made to do it and if not we would all pass out or die from the pain. I've heard of people passing out from the pain of broken bones but never from child birth. Honestly my tonsilitis hurt worst before they finally took them out. But childbirth is a manageable sensation in my opinion. And it brings a high you cannot replicate.

therevslady January 11th, 2013 04:10 PM

You can totally do it! Prepare yourself with knowledge and maybe even a doula, and you will do great!