JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Advice- induction (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2613545-advice-induction.html)

beamermarie January 10th, 2013 04:45 PM

Advice- induction

I'm pregnant with #1, and all I want in the world in a natural birth. However, she is not cooperating. I'm approaching 42 weeks and I'm still so locked up that the doc can't even sweep my membranes! I have not dilated or effaced AT ALL!! Nothing! Doctor is really really starting to push induction. I'm starting to feel like I should allow it. There are a lot of risks after 42 weeks, despite all the monitoring that medical science can do.

I at least want to avoid an epidural, and am hoping once they get me dilated, I might not even need pitocin... just a jump start opening up.

Does anyone have any advice for managing induction without epidural?

Kelllilee January 10th, 2013 05:13 PM

Re: Advice- induction

Probably one of the least invasive techniques is a foley catheter/balloon, however it poses the risk of rupturing your membranes, potentially locking baby in an unfavorable position. But if I were facing an induction I would go with that method because it doesn't involve any drugs.

you could also do the cervical gel, that wouldn't risk your water breaking, but does introduce some medication. Avoid any pill that goes in the cervix.

Hopefully with being 42 weeks your body just needs a little nudge to get going and one of the above methods will get things started without needing pit. You could also consider massage, acupuncture, or other "natural" induction methods. You may consider checking out spinningbabies.com as sometimes the reason labor hasn't started is baby not being positioned favorably...

Also, don't get discouraged. Dilation/effacement means NOTHING in terms of when labor will start. Women can go from 0 to baby in a matter of a few hours or hang around at 3-6cm for weeks!

ohnicole January 10th, 2013 05:29 PM

I had to be induced due to gestational hypertension (and actually ended up on mag during labor as well). The foley catheter/balloon was my first choice, too, but unfortunately, at least according to my OB, you have to be dilated first (I can't remember how many cm, but I was at 1 cm, and that wasn't enough).

My doctor's method of choice was misoprostol, followed by pitocin if needed. I had heard horror stories about misoprostol, so I did my own research on it and then had a looooong conversation with my OB about it. I ended up doing the misoprostol. After 1 dose I was starting to efface, but still at 1 cm. After 2 doses, I was at 3 cm, my water broke, and baby was born 3 hours later with no further interventions (no pitocin or pain meds).

I would say to do your research and make sure you are informed so that if you do decide to do the induction you feel comfortable that you are making the best choices for YOU. I would also have a long talk with your midwife or OB about what an induction means in terms of restrictions (will you need an IV, will you be restricted to the bed or area around the bed, will you need intermittent or constant monitoring). And I would spend as much time as you can learning about different positions or techniques for laboring with the restrictions. I second spinningbabies.com. Love it!

Induction can be a scary thing when you have been planning to avoid it for so long, but at least for me, information makes it a little less intimidating. And know that even if you are induced you can still have a pain med-free labor!

I hope baby decides to come on her own!

chachartier January 10th, 2013 05:55 PM

Sex is my only advice... put me into labor in a few hours at 38 weeks lol try getting aprenatal massage with someone who is willing to push those buttons that induce labor! I have heard that acupuncture is also good for the same reason. Good luck, I'm terrified of pitocin... awful stuff...

daneeleigh January 11th, 2013 01:13 AM

I would look into acupuncture as well. I really don't have any great advice and don't want to tell you anything wrong. I've always been told that cervix that are closed are not favorable for induction but I don't know what they do for mommas to avoid "drugs". I would think most natural choices are out in this case but at the same time you don't want to go straight to pitocin on closed cervix. I hope baby decides to come on his/her own very quickly so that you don't have to worry about this. Sperm is supposed to help so I would recommend sex lol.

beamermarie January 11th, 2013 06:10 AM

I've gotten a few professional massages in the last two weeks, and did acupressure at home. I can't find an acupuncturist in my area that wants anything to do with 42 weeks labor type acupressure. We were having sex daily, but now DH has the bonafide flu with a 104 temp, so we're in separate rooms. I got the flu shot this year, but so did he. He's on tamiflu and I'm praying I don't get it!

I asked my doctor about the foley cath, and as of now, I am so closed that they couldn't even thread one up my cervix. Argh!

What is extra horrible is that I'm active duty military, and only in control of so much. The way our OB clinic works on base is that you don't have a dedicated doctor, there is a rotating group. I've meet them all, but the weekend they want to induce, none of them are on call, and it's a random local doctor that I've never met! I can't even ask questions about his philosophies ahead of time. The last doc I saw wouldn't even tell me if they'd want to give me something to ripen and send me home, keep me in the hospital, what drug they would use, etc. He just kept saying, "Depends on the doctor."

I supposed I can show up and walk out if the guy is totally unacceptable.

chachartier January 11th, 2013 08:37 AM

Lol just stay home and have a friend (not sick daddy) catch the baby haha

beamermarie January 11th, 2013 10:54 AM

I'm seriously considering that! Haha. However, I'm a little concerned about the risks of going over 42 weeks. I have until the 18th, so she could still come on her own, but NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING is happening, so I don't want to get my hopes up for spontaneous labor.

ohnicole January 11th, 2013 01:00 PM

So you still have some time! You really could go on your own before then. I would keep doing the massage, walk a ton, and do some positioning work from spinningbabies.com. I would also try my hardest to get an appointment to chat with the doctor on call. Even if it means telling the doctors at your hospital that you are going to flat out refuse to be induced by a doctor you have never met unless there is an indication of distress. Maybe they can push the other office to give you an appointment?

Otherwise you could assume that an induction would mean an IV, continuous monitoring, and being confined to the area around the bed. Even in that case, you should still be able to walk around the bed, lean against the wall, labor sitting, labor in any lying position, labor leaning backwards over the back of the bed, labor in a rocker or other chair, or labor on a birthing ball.

And in that case, I would make sure you know what questions you want to ask the day of a potential induction... which meds? what doses? what time limits are they putting on you? And make sure they get your consent before changing or starting any meds.

I really hope you get the birth you want!

therevslady January 11th, 2013 03:13 PM

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this! I bake my babies a long time too! I've had three 42 weekers. No fun. One option that you could try is to consent to regular observation (NST's every other day) once you pass 42 weeks to monitor the baby and allow your body to do it's thing. Many women also tend to show zero signs of labor and go on there own without any signs ALL THE TIME.

I hope you figure out a plan that you are comfortable with. Good luck!

NinjaCakes January 11th, 2013 07:37 PM

I don't know much about natural inductions other than what I've read, but I think the ladies here have some great advice and information. Good luck!

marriedtoamountie January 12th, 2013 12:39 PM

With my second I did acupressure, went to the chiropractor, applied clove oil to my feet, spent a ton of time bouncing on my birth ball (while doing self-acupressure), walking stairs two by two...

How sure are you of your dates? I know with my second I got pregnant while breastfeeding my first and was so far along by the time we discovered I was pregnant that the dating ultrasound wasn't deemed accurate, we were given an "approximate" due-date. My son went to 42.5 weeks and was born perfectly healthy and 8lbs... I don't know at 40 weeks that he was quite ready to meet us yet :wub:

Good luck though, the waiting is SO hard. Have you tried any homeopathics to help?

alittlelost January 12th, 2013 02:27 PM

have you tried using EPO? That would be a good start. Also they can use something on your cervix to help you start dilating. They might even be able to give you the tablet in the doctors office, then send you home and check you again the next day. I hope you go into labor on your own! I know one lady who has ALL her babies at 43 weeks, always has. I hope things work out for you. Everyone here has given you great advice.

ChicaChels January 14th, 2013 12:43 AM

Where is Veann? How long did she bake sweet little Orion? Almost 44 weeks? She is a rockstar, seriously!

I would really shy away from induction if your body isn't "favorable". If NST's are not showing any distress in mom/baby, I would personally be comfortable continuing the pregnancy but I understand not everyone is. Babies just don't have calendars in there.

I was induced at 37w for HELLP disease with my first and it wasn't terrible looking back - it was far from ideal, but we made it through with quite a bit of intervention, a lot of patience and no pain medication.

Do you have a doula? I know it's kind of late in the game, but I think you could benefit so much from one - ESPECIALLY if you get induced. Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

And if someone can get Veann in here?!! JM needs a tagging option!!! :lol:

beamermarie January 14th, 2013 02:33 AM

Thanks again ladies. I have an NST today so we'll see what's happening. Yes, I've been using EPO and RRL tea. I now have a horrible horrible cold or flu. My husband was diagnosed with the flu last week, so it seems likely it is the flu, but I have been sick for 3 days with no fever, so I'm not so sure. I feel more sick than I can ever remember feeling. Now I'm terrified my preggers immune system will not get rid of this, and I'll end up in labor and too weak to deliver. I can barely get up a flight of stairs. I'm awake right now, at 4am, because laying down creates phlegm and insane coughing, and it hurts too bad to sleep through. I'm actually hoping she stays put a bit longer so that I can get better- assuming I get better!

But then again, if I get worse, I imagine ending up on all kinds of Schedule C drugs. I already have an RX for Tamiflu, which I refused to take (wondering if that was a good move in hindsight), and have been told to take Robitussin (Class C!) so basically I'm taking nothing my doctor is telling me to take, and trying to avoid hospitalization.

I did not get a doula because my insurance doesn't cover one. I would have splurged if I'd have realized I'd end up late, pushed towards induction, and sick. In my mind, I was going to have the model pregnancy, go into labor naturally, and sweetly refuse any meds at the hospital with no problem and the help of my mother (she's a great advocate).

I'm realizing I'm starting to feel angry about this who situation, I don't understand why I haven't been sick in 5 years, and week 41 of my pregnancy I'm at death's door. I've ALWAYS planned a natural birth, I've daydreamed about it more than even my own wedding, and now that it seeming more and more unlikely, etc.

I still could refuse the induction, but I'm really torn from all the stuff I've read about the risks of going past 42 weeks. It seems like just about the whole OB community agrees it is not OK to go past 42 weeks. Also, both grandmas are driving more than 12 hours for the induction at 42 weeks, and if I delay, I feel somehow guilty.

What a mess. I'm just really having a hard time with this all emotionally. I can't help but feel so disappointed.

daneeleigh January 14th, 2013 03:56 AM

I think as a mom you have every right to make an informed decision to not go past 42 weeks. It's your body and your baby and if you're not comfortable with it then it's your call. I personally don't know if I would go past 42 weeks. I know NSTs are there for a reason and I may would consent to one but I don't know. I wasn't in that situation because my water broke way before then. Every mom should have that right to make that decision if baby is doing okay. I would personally get nervous but I know that many babies are born fine past 42 weeks. I hope yours come before the 18th. I know one mom on here had 0 labor signs and was completely closed and went into full labor at 42 weeks and delivered at home in 6 hours. She used black cohosh I believe the night before maybe? Not sure. Her names Melissa.

ChicaChels January 14th, 2013 12:56 PM

It's not too late to get a doula. Not at all. I've seen moms hire them 2 days before an induction. It's worth the investment. You may even find a doula in training willing to work for free.

As far as your sickness, try a chiropractic adjustment (nmight help send you Intolabor too) chiro care can fix just about anything. Same with acupuncture