JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Blessways... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2617354-blessways.html)

therevslady January 22nd, 2013 01:32 PM

Blessways...

Has anyone here had one? What was it like? What all did you do?

I am planning a blessingway for my dear friend and my God-daughter's mom. So far I have planned:
-Introductions and birthstories
-Write down affirmations to send and read during labor
-Pray blessings over beads and add to necklace
-Henna for mom's belly and each participant's wrist.

What else? Am I missing something? Is that enough?

Kelllilee January 22nd, 2013 02:42 PM

Re: Blessways...

I haven't had one myself, but have been to a couple. The only other thing they did was make quilt squares with some sort of uplifting message or thought or something birthy.

BeckyBozeman January 22nd, 2013 03:24 PM

My friends gave me one and, in addition to what you have listed, they did some pampering of the mama (massage, pedicure, essential oil scalp massage), they decorated onesies for the baby and they did food and gifts.

therevslady January 22nd, 2013 03:31 PM

Ah yes! we'll have food and we're taking donations to help her pay her midwife, since she's struggling with that.

ashj_1218 January 23rd, 2013 08:30 AM

I had one before I had my second son. We did all three of the first things you listed and it was actually plenty to fill up 3 hours. The bead ceremony was pretty long and it was my favorite part. We didn't think of henna at all, but I generally don't love people touching me, so it was probably a good thing to skip it ;)

Sounds so wonderful of you to throw one for your friend. I loved mine and I still love looking at the necklace and remembering each bead and who gave it to me (and why).

Ember Rose January 23rd, 2013 11:44 PM

This is such a special thing to do for your friend.

GranolaMamaOf3 January 27th, 2013 12:20 PM

I've never had one, but would love it! My sister had one with her baby, but I wasn't able to go (out of state :( ).

She said one thing they did was to have everyone sit in a circle and they all sang a song while one person went around the circle and wrapped a piece of ribbon/yarn around each woman's wrist, until they were all connected - to symbolize unity. Once the circle was complete they cut the yarn in-between each person, and then tied it onto their wrist to wear until baby was born, as a reminder to pray/send positive thoughts and energy to the mother in her final weeks of pregnancy.

I've also heard of sending candles home to be lit when the mother goes into labor.