JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Home Birth after Cesarean... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2617422-home-birth-after-cesarean.html)

BeckyBozeman January 22nd, 2013 05:20 PM

Home Birth after Cesarean...

The article on the front page got me thinking about this. I'm pretty sure that my C-section was caused by all the interventions that I had during my induction. I have emotional issues with pelvic exams and the on call docs were really rough and checked way too often in my opinion. I declined as often as I could but I was in labor long enough that I had to deal with several shift changes. I'm sure that it kept me from progressing as I might have if I had been relaxed. Plus my midwives and I are sure that my baby's meconium aspiration was caused by the fluctuations in my blood pressure that happened when my first epidural failed. The OB has already repeatedly counseled me to expect to have another c-section. I'm determined to have a VBAC.

But now I'm wondering about a home birth. Our house is just up the street from the hospital and we could certainly rent a tub.

Has anyone had a HBAC? Or know of anyone that has?

therevslady January 22nd, 2013 05:38 PM

Re: Home Birth after Cesarean...

I've supported clients through HBACs. If you are hoping to use a midwife, I would interview around as many people as possible to find someone who you intuitively communicate well with. HBACs are uncommon in Ga and there are only a couple of midwives who will attend them. But... we're not a super home birthy state.

GranolaMamaOf3 January 27th, 2013 12:45 PM

Yes I know many moms in FL who have had HBACs :) . Considering your story it sounds like it could be a great option for you to consider! It's so important that moms feel safe and supported in labor!

daneeleigh January 27th, 2013 10:06 PM

Home births and HBACs are pretty popular here. Not every midwife will do them but I know we have a good variety to choose from.

raniaviv February 5th, 2013 06:09 AM

I'm personally really scared about home births... is it really that simple?

therevslady February 5th, 2013 02:12 PM

This might be a topic for another thread- but yes. For a low risk mom with no complications, a birth can be a normal physiological event and be super simple. Educating yourself about your options can help reduce your fear- it may not mean that home birth is for you (every person is different and every pregnancy is different). But it can help you understand it and remove your fear of it.

Ember Rose February 5th, 2013 07:46 PM

Like some have said, the main thing is to first find a midwife who is willing to attend it. It's not horribly uncommon though. Birth Without Fear has a ton of birth stories and you should be able to find some HBAC stories on there.