JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Medicine rant (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2626188-medicine-rant.html)

NinjaCakes February 16th, 2013 01:04 PM

Medicine rant

I have bronchitis, which isn't a big deal. I get it at least once every winter. Germs just like my lungs. I've obviously never had it while pregnant though, so on Tuesday I called the nurse practitioner at my doctors office wondering if there was something I didn't know I should do, etc. She said to take some robitussin and drink a lot of water. Ok, simple enough. Then I got to thinking about how people take dextromethorphan to get high, wondering how that could be safe to pour down my babies figurative throat. So I searched the main ingredients pregnancy class - C because no studies have been done.

That really ticked me off. How can they so carelessly tell a pregnant woman to take something when they don't know anything about how it affects the baby - AND not even tell me? So it hasn't shown any adverse affects that they know of so far - the same was true about a lot of medications that we now know are dangerous. As a pregnant woman I would appreciate knowing what they're telling me to put in my body may have dangers they aren't aware of so I can make an informed decision. Obviously I've decided not to take it (fortunately/unfortunately my boyfriend is sick now too, so it's not being wasted). I know it's not thalidomide but I do know people who abused robitussin and it caused a host of medical problems - one being kidney failure. If it could do that to a grown man, imagine what it could do to a 6" baby. I don't like that thought.

This goes to how I feel about all the unnecessary pregnancy interventions. It seems like we live in a culture so obsessed with doing things the easiest way, or the quickest way, etc that what's best for the baby just falls to the bottom. Let's pencil in a cesarean because this mom doesn't want to go past 37 weeks. Artificially rupture membranes hoping it will start labor, even though it could cause a very dangerous infection. Drown women in pitocin so we can get the birth over with faster, even though it's not necessary or good for the babies. Let's cut the cords ASAP and whip the babies away from them for a bath and a bunch of needles so we don't have to wait around. And let's not tell them that these are things that are usually not necessary, and sometimes not even safe. :mad:

It's so frustrating. I wish there was something that could be done about it. Leave it to humans to take things that are helpful when they're needed and turn them in to our daily bread, and never mind the consequences.

KtKuKi February 18th, 2013 02:18 PM

Re: Medicine rant

That is pretty annoying that they told you to take it! When I was pregnant the first time, I used a topical ointment for a rash I had on my had. I called my OB and asked if it was safe, she said yes no problem. A couple weeks later, I was looking at drug book we had at work that listed all medications, their side affects, and how safe they were for pregnancy. This ointment said DO NOT USE in pregnancy. I was so mad.

It is sad that people depend so much on doctors to tell them what is right, and assume they know, when in all reality, they don't always know. :(

GranolaMamaOf3 February 18th, 2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KtKuKi (Post 27107456)
It is sad that people depend so much on doctors to tell them what is right, and assume they know, when in all reality, they don't always know. :(

^^This right here^^ HUGE pet-peeve of mine; hearing women say "well my dr wouldnt sugest it if it weren't safe". Oh how I wish this were true! but unfortunately - it's not!

And it goes much further than just OTC meds. What about all the many *routine* medical interventions done before, during and after labor that we have no scientific research to prove safe? We're all guinea pigs! It's sad that the patient has to be their own advocate!

Genipher February 21st, 2013 04:11 PM

I've discovered that it's better to ask a pharmacist because more often than not, the doctors don't have a clue about side-effects, etc.

CrunchyMommaTo2 February 21st, 2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genipher (Post 27120917)
I've discovered that it's better to ask a pharmacist because more often than not, the doctors don't have a clue about side-effects, etc.

Agreed! Doctors prescribe the same meds over and over and aren't really familiar with side effects of lesser prescribed meds. Pharmacists see a much larger variety of medications on a daily basis and are much more familiar