JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Homebirth cost opinion question... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2627781-homebirth-cost-opinion-question.html)

MyFantasticFour February 21st, 2013 05:46 AM

Homebirth cost opinion question...

:waves: Hi! I've had a natural birth and am planning my first homebirth. I had an opinion question for you...

My midwife charges insurance and then a separate $2400 fee. If you deliver too fast and she isn't there for the birth but comes later to care for you and the baby, she still keeps all of the money you pay her for the homebirth. Is this normal and do you agree with it?

DH is a stingy fella and he feels that if this happens, we should be able to get at least some of the money back whereas I am torn because I feel it's a cost I'm paying to choose homebirth.

therevslady February 21st, 2013 07:35 AM

Re: Homebirth cost opinion question...

The midwives around here usually charge the clients directly and it's up to the client to submit info to insurance for reimbursement. We live in a gray area for home birth though and it's very difficult to get insurance to cover home birth.

Have you interviewed any other midwives to see how they do things? What does home birth cost in your area on average. Most midwives do complete prenatal care plus birth care for around $3000 around here. Normally, the afterbirth care is more work than actual birth care for midwives. That is the most delicate time for baby and mom, and most midwives stay around to clean and make sure everyone is stable. So I can completely understand why they would not refund the fee.

Usually interviewing multiple midwives will help make sure you feel confident in the care you are getting.

Pretty Crispy February 21st, 2013 08:19 AM

Hmm that seems a little odd to me. I would understand still charging a fee but maybe less since she wouldn't be there for the birth.
My midwife charges 10k. Billed to insurance and then the remainder is our responsibility. She doesn't expect to get 10k though and is happy with 5k. So whatever is left after insurance pays to equal 5k is up to us. I would talk to some other midwives.

jhmomofmany February 21st, 2013 11:41 AM

paying the agreed-upon fee even if midwife doesn't make it for the actual birth is standard practice I think. But depending on what she charges the insurance it sounds like she is asking a lot more than what is customary, in my area at least. Still, thousands less than you might pay for a hospital birth, and you are getting much better care!

GranolaMamaOf3 February 21st, 2013 01:56 PM

Fees vary so much from state to state. I think the amount she is charging is quite average.

In our minds the birth is the big event, but it's important to consider all the hours spent in prenatal visits prior to the birth, as well the extensive time after the birth. Those hours make up the bulk of your care, and deserve to be compensated, imo. They are charging so little to begin with....

Did you by chance ask her how many times she has missed a birth? Except for in the case of extremely fast labors where it's just impossible for the midwives to make it in time, missing a birth is quite rare.

MyFantasticFour February 21st, 2013 02:16 PM

I did talk to the only other 3 options in our area. One was closing up her business and the other two were $4,000. It's a lot cheaper than hospital birth BUT not for me. I have really decent insurance so we paid about $1,000 for my last baby. I like her a lot, DH just has his concerns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMama (Post 27120610)
Did you by chance ask her how many times she has missed a birth? Except for in the case of extremely fast labors where it's just impossible for the midwives to make it in time, missing a birth is quite rare.

Well the reason that I asked her was actually because I have a friend who used her and she missed her birth. My last birth was 3 hours and she's an hour away. I FLY from 6-10 so I am a possibility for one of those fast labors! She said it happens sometimes and that it's definitely a possibility in my case but I'm hoping that I can just call her a little early!

KtKuKi February 21st, 2013 03:11 PM

My midwife charges $3000 regardless of if you have insurance or not. If you have insurance then you can file the claim with them after the birth, but she can't guarantee your insurance will cover it.

I agree its standard to still charge, even if they miss the birth, because they still come and check out the baby. I'm pretty sure my mom and DH could deliver the baby, but I'd like the professional opinion on my baby after he's born!

MyFantasticFour February 21st, 2013 07:11 PM

I think we can definitely handle it but DH is nervous about something going wrong lol I'm not too worried about it. We practically did it ourselves last time!

daneeleigh February 25th, 2013 04:12 PM

The standard around me is that the money is nonrefundable. I would hope they'd clean up or something even if they missed the birth but who knows? The only home birth midwives who take our insurance cost 4100. We only get 1500 back from insurance so it's just out of our price range right now. Maybe with our third we'll be in a better position to do it.

andi2284 February 27th, 2013 01:27 PM

This made me laugh, my DH still makes remarks about how our midwife should have refunded us part of what we paid for our home birth since she didn't make it for the actual birth. I had a 1 hour active labor and by the time that I called her, there just wasn't enough time to get here before she was born. Even my midwives assistant, who was about 20 minutes away, arrived about a half hour after the birth. When they got here though, they did jump right in and began caring for the baby and myself and cleaning things up.

Quote:

Normally, the afterbirth care is more work than actual birth care for midwives. That is the most delicate time for baby and mom, and most midwives stay around to clean and make sure everyone is stable. So I can completely understand why they would not refund the fee.
I agree, they can't charge based on how much time they spend with you in labor. Some moms are in labor for days, when others are only in labor for a few hours. The actual amount of work they need to do for labor itself is minimal - not to make it sound like midwives can be lazy during labor, it's just more monitoring mom and baby and letting her labor as she needs to. I would put it on the same level with if a mom needs to transfer during labor, most midwives will not refund part of the cost.