JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Hospital policies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2628479-hospital-policies.html)

Laurenj915 February 22nd, 2013 05:46 PM

Hospital policies

I have some questions about a natural hospital birth.

Background
Last pregnancy i went to a birthing center and pushed for 2 hours on the books (3 hours in actuallity), then an hour in rush hour traffic, a hour in a wheel chair at the hospital and another 3 hours waiting for the midwives backup dr to arrive. He refused to put the forcepts in me without an epi and so they gave me the epi and pulled Sawyer out. I was actually ok most of the time due to Hypnobabies.

This time my husband is asking me to go use a midwife at a hospital. I am working in being ok with that.

BUT i am really afraid of them taking away all my choices and independance at a hospital. Will I have to be hooked up to an IV? Will I have choices about birthing positions? Will the hospital nurses be in and out checking me or will it just be the midwife? Will i be allowed to eat or drink water? Is a midwife assisted birth at a hospital much different from a birth assisted by an OB? Can I keep the baby with me after the birth? How do I find a midwife that has hospital privileges? Do they have a list at the hospital?

Sorry this was so long.

GranolaMamaOf3 February 23rd, 2013 07:49 AM

Re: Hospital policies

This varies so much depending on your region and hospital. I'd encourage you to ask your midwife all these questions in depth and make sure you have a mutual understanding and agreement.

You should have the right to refuse an IV, but they may require a heplock. That's a matter of hospital protocol. Eating and drinking is another hospital protocol, but it's becoming more common for them to let the mother eat/drink at will, or at least drink liquids. As for positions in labor and birth, that will be up to your midwife, but I would hope she would be open to it. Even with a CNM you will still have a nurse attending to you, especially in the case of your midwife caring for multiple patients. In my experience as a doula, the CNM does all the vaginal exams and checks in on you from time to time to see how you are doing.

congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you find a care provider whom you and your husband are both comfortable with! :)

Sk8ermaiden February 23rd, 2013 07:58 AM

You have to ask around. Usually if you're hooked into a natural birth community they can tell you what hospital has the best policies. If not, I would search out your local ICAN. They probably won't let you join if you haven't had a cesarean, but they have allll the dirt on the local birth scene, and will likely help you out.

Like here, there's a hospital where they tie you down and put you on a very strict clock, and section 60% of low risk moms. And then there is the hospital down the street where you can have a heplock and waterproof wireless monitors and they'll do all they can to get you a good birth.

GranolaMamaOf3 February 23rd, 2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden (Post 27126685)
You have to ask around. Usually if you're hooked into a natural birth community they can tell you what hospital has the best policies. If not, I would search out your local ICAN. They probably won't let you join if you haven't had a cesarean, but they have allll the dirt on the local birth scene, and will likely help you out.

Great idea!

Laurenj915 February 23rd, 2013 04:12 PM

Thank you girls. I might go to the local birthing center and see if they can give me some info. They have a midwifery school so they might hear all kind of stuff when old students come back to visit.

Counting our Blessings February 25th, 2013 10:30 AM

Good ideas ladies!

I've had 9 hospital NCB's and all have went pretty good. I am able to walk around and snack and drink water. I've never really had issues with it. I don't ask them if I can, they pretty much leave me alone until I push the button and tell them it's time to push, better hurry :smile:

I also haven't went to the hospital until I've been laboring awhile and know I'm getting close. I figure the less time I'm there the better. I just declined cervical checks if I don't want one and pain meds. No troubles.

Good luck! I hope you find the perfect fit!

Ember Rose February 26th, 2013 12:20 AM

Most of my local hospitals have a tour for expectant mothers. Maybe that's an option? When I did my tour I got a lot of info about policies and could ask questions.