JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Any tips for a first-time mama? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2632011-any-tips-for-first-time-mama.html)

Pinkapple March 5th, 2013 03:47 PM

Any tips for a first-time mama?

I feel like I've spent the majority of my pregnancy researching and reading and studying all things natural childbirth, but in my final weeks I still feel unprepared entirely for this birth! I'm getting nervous for a number of reasons...labor pain, for one, but most importantly not realizing the signs of labor and not being able to make it to the hospital in time!

I am planning a natural waterbirth at a hospital that is an hour away from my home. Any tips from you ladies that have been in a similar situation?

Laurenj915 March 5th, 2013 06:27 PM

Re: Any tips for a first-time mama?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkapple (Post 27165262)
I feel like I've spent the majority of my pregnancy researching and reading and studying all things natural childbirth

I guess I would say, spend a bit of time talking to your midwife about what would happen if you needed to to transfered to the care of her backup dr. I researched natural childbirth from the time I started thinking abut having a baby. I was unprepared for being tranfered to a hospital and what would happen once I got there.

Since you are going to be at a hospital i think you should ask about the backup dr and what he or she is like. Never in my wildest dreams did i think my midwife's backup dr would tell me no to me wanting the baby placed on my chest after he was born.

Pinkapple March 5th, 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurenj915 (Post 27165788)
I guess I would say, spend a bit of time talking to your midwife about what would happen if you needed to to transfered to the care of her backup dr. I researched natural childbirth from the time I started thinking abut having a baby. I was unprepared for being tranfered to a hospital and what would happen once I got there.

Since you are going to be at a hospital i think you should ask about the backup dr and what he or she is like. Never in my wildest dreams did i think my midwife's backup dr would tell me no to me wanting the baby placed on my chest after he was born.

Oh wow, that thought hadn't even crossed my mind! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely do so. I'm lucky in the fact that the backup midwife is very on-board with what I want, and the hospital is very forward-thinking in terms of natural birth and almost always has a water birth certified midwife on call...but you're right, I didn't even think of being told "no" to things that weren't an issue with anybody else!

GranolaMamaOf3 March 5th, 2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkapple (Post 27165802)
Oh wow, that thought hadn't even crossed my mind! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely do so. I'm lucky in the fact that the backup midwife is very on-board with what I want, and the hospital is very forward-thinking in terms of natural birth and almost always has a water birth certified midwife on call...but you're right, I didn't even think of being told "no" to things that weren't an issue with anybody else!

Will you be delivering at AMC? If so, they are fabulous and you will be in good hands. It's always good to go over back up plans though :)

As for the fears, I think those are all normal first-time feelings. It's hard to know what to anticipate when you've never done something before, but be comforted in knowing that you were made to birth this baby, and your body knows what to do.

Find some positive birth affirmations and repeat them over and over again in your head. 22 Favorite Birth Quotes and Affirmations

“There is a secret in our culture, and it’s not that birth is painful. It’s that women are strong.” ~ Laura Stavoe Harm

"Just as a woman's heart knows when and how to pump, her lungs to inhale, and her hand to pull back from fire, so she knows when and how to give birth" ~Virginia Di Orio

“The knowledge of how to give birth without outside interventions lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on the acceptance of the process.” ~Suzanne Arms

“My baby is healthy and innately knows when to begin labor. My body knows how to birth by instinct. My mind has released all fears and trusts birth. I am enjoying this process and growing through it all.” ~Mrs. BWF

Powerful Birth Affirmation | Birth Without Fear
"The power and intensity of the contractions can not be stronger than you, because they are you"

You can do this Mama! I'm excited for you!

GranolaMamaOf3 March 5th, 2013 07:36 PM

As far as knowing when to head to the hospital - My friend was concerned over the same thing; she had an hour drive to the hospital and didn't want to risk getting stuck in traffic, so it was recommended to her that once she went into labor she should head into town and get a hotel room to continue laboring in. That way she didn't have to go to the hospital too soon, but when she decoded it was time she would be close. She ended up going into labor in the night so traffic wasn't an issue, but I thought that was a pretty good idea!

Pinkapple March 7th, 2013 03:42 PM

those are very helpful words of encouragement! I will actually be delivering at North Fulton. I, too, had considered getting a hotel close by and letting family/friends use it if they wanted too afterwards..might continue with that plan. I'm hoping that I go in to labor in the night! :}

Counting our Blessings March 7th, 2013 06:37 PM

You can do it!!

You sound well prepared and knowledgable, and that alone is a huge thing. My biggest piece of advice for FTM is to stay home as long as possible, because labor can easily be 24 hours or so. There is less time for interventions if you're not there ;)

I've had my 9 babes in a hospital and had great luck. But I also didn't go in until it was almost time to push.

You will do great! And congrats on your son!

daneeleigh March 7th, 2013 10:49 PM

DITTO staying home as long as possible. I stalled at the center and maybe it's because I went in too soon?? Either way, if you can talk and handle your contractions, I'd stay home. I wish I would have remembered that.

And trust me when I say you'll know when labor starts. I had been having false labor for days but when my water finally broke and the contractions changed, there's no mistaking that lol.

I would keep going over your pain management skills with yourself and you SO. I didn't do this enough and when labor started I just didn't know what to do. My DH didn't remember either. Luckily we had a doula who did a tremendous job. My hubby feels prepared now but that is a little late for my first pregnancy lol.

Pinkapple March 9th, 2013 08:40 AM

Thank you! I know I definitely need to work on my pain management skills, still. :}

alittlelost March 9th, 2013 01:02 PM

I went close to my birth center at the early signs of labor, but didn't "settle in" until things really kicked into gear. Maybe when labor starts, you could head up that way but hang out nearby not sign into the hospital right away?

Pinkapple March 10th, 2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 27179464)
I went close to my birth center at the early signs of labor, but didn't "settle in" until things really kicked into gear. Maybe when labor starts, you could head up that way but hang out nearby not sign into the hospital right away?

That is probably what we will end up doing. Hopefully I will be comfortable enough to walk around for a bit before heading in :}