JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Red Raspberry Leaf Tea? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2633512-red-raspberry-leaf-tea.html)

ashj_1218 March 10th, 2013 02:50 PM

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I hear about this everywhere now. And am interested. I have seen some cool articles on the benefits of it and was thinking I wanted to try it this time around. I am hoping it shortens my labor times...both boys were slow-progressing labors (which might just be my style, I don't know).

Where would I get it?

Is it in a bag or do I need to brew it myself (with one of those tea balls)?

When would be the best time to start it? I have read not to do it before 36 weeks. But then I know women who start at 30 weeks and still have late babies. Additionally, if baby is not here by 39 weeks, I will be induced...and therefore don't want to hold off as long as I might if I didn't have a "timeline." (I am being induced for a valid medical reason, something I don't plan to fight, but would like to avoid if possible).

Thanks for any insight!

KtKuKi March 10th, 2013 03:42 PM

Re: Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I could be wrong, but I've heard you can take it throughout your pregnancy. I buy it from a health foods store and it is in tea bags already. I think its just good for your uterus, I started drinking it at 35 weeks with DD and I went to 41 weeks, so I don't feel like it put me in labor.

ashj_1218 March 11th, 2013 06:30 AM

Cool, thanks! I just ordered some off Amazon (we have prime, so no shipping). We have a very small health store here and I rarely make it to that end of town.

I think I am going to start this weekend, after I hit 30 weeks. I don't think it makes women go into labor either, so I am not too concerned about that aspect. Thanks for the info :)

Counting our Blessings March 11th, 2013 08:05 AM

I'm 32 weeks and thinking of starting some as well! Thanks for reminding me!

PinkFireFly March 11th, 2013 08:17 AM

With my first pregnancy I started it around 12 weeks... I took it daily increasing the amount daily... I used it for the hypoglycemic benefits since I was claimed to have GD... My sugars were awesome my entire pregnancy...

Pinkapple March 11th, 2013 04:00 PM

I've been drinking RRL since about 36 weeks, when my midwife recommended it. Personally, I find it to be really tasy, moreso than some of my other teas. It's really great with honey.

I'm lucky in the fact that I found it at the grocery store in the organic section, and at a really great price. As far as labor goes, I haven't gone into labor yet and I drink about 6 cups a day :P

daneeleigh March 11th, 2013 10:01 PM

I drank it my whole pregnancy last time and am doing it again. It helps to strengthen the uterus and shouldn't put you into labor. I love the taste and I found it at a local store.

Pretty Crispy March 12th, 2013 05:39 AM

I ordered mine off amazon. I actually started drinking it a few weeks before we ttc and we got pregnant the first month :)
I continued to drink it during the first and part of second tri but stopped when I started having contractions at 22 weeks. I just started drinking it again at 36 weeks and drink a few cups a day. Will continue until after baby is born.
Mine comes in bags. I pour boiling water over the bag in a cup, cover and let steep for 10 mins. Add a bit of honey or sugar and drink!