JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Newborn pictures (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2637078-newborn-pictures.html)

NinjaCakes March 22nd, 2013 04:41 PM

Newborn pictures

Does your hospital/ birth center take them? Did you buy them or do you plan to? I'm not sure if I will want to. Being a photographer makes me pretty picky!

keekopeeko March 22nd, 2013 05:08 PM

Re: Newborn pictures

Our hospital provides ones you have to pay for,, we have never gotten them..

Calendula March 22nd, 2013 05:39 PM

The birthing center took some of my daughter after the hearing test and a bath. She was furious and red and blotchy and looked miserable. I didn't pay for them. We had much better photos we'd already taken ourselves.

ETA: They printed off a little proof sheet, they didn't give us any free photos. I opted not to purchase any, that's what I meant by not paying for them.

NinjaCakes March 23rd, 2013 11:15 AM

That's how ours works, too. I've never been impressed by their work. Seems like they're preying on people's sentimental side with really poor quality pictures. But with all those hormones running through a woman, I can see why it works.

LJD3Tdance March 23rd, 2013 01:03 PM

My hospital with my last two did (two different hospitals) but with the first 3 they didn't. I did buy some photos each time, they're beautiful.

ashj_1218 March 23rd, 2013 01:12 PM

Ours has a do-it-yourself stand thingy. Far from great quality. But you get a free proof sheet. We always take them (you can do it multiple times to get the best pics) and don't order any additional ones. We do professional ones within the first week or so.

jhmomofmany March 23rd, 2013 05:04 PM

We never bought them. I don't think I've ever seen a hospital newborn picture that did the poor baby any justice! We take tons of pictures ourselves- they turn out better and are free. :)

crunchywannabe March 23rd, 2013 06:12 PM

Nope they don't offer them. No worries, bringing our own camera for in hospital pics (also my brother, a photographer, who will be doing our 'newborn shoot' at home will likely bring his camera to the hospital for a few shots as well. But I'm not really concerned about getting 'pro' shots taken, I've never been overly impressed with the ones I've seen people get... I'm also really picky about photography!

alittlelost March 23rd, 2013 06:17 PM

I'm picky from years of doing photography work as well. I don't think sears or walmart, etc, ever have nice photos. I've never seen a good quality hospital photo taken by the hospital, either. We've had photographs at events take pictures and try to sell them to us, but I was like . . . eh, that's a pretty crappy picture . . . so we never buy them.

Husher March 24th, 2013 11:32 AM

They had someone do them when we had our hospital birth, but we didn't love them, and didn't buy any. My SIL is a much better photographer, so we just had her do them.

daneeleigh March 26th, 2013 03:26 PM

My birth center does not do this. They didn't even do the foot prints which I wish I would have known in advance. I don't think I'm going to do them for my other kids because how unfair to have foot prints for all but one?