JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Hi everyone! Introduction and a few questions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2638525-hi-everyone-introduction-and-few-questions.html)

KevinA March 28th, 2013 06:02 AM

Hi everyone! Introduction and a few questions

Good morning! My name is Kevin, my wife and I are both 30 years old and are expecting our first child. Our little girl is due on 4/16/13 :).

I have been doing lots of research/reading these past few months. My wife and I have decided not to do any vaccines, or the vitamin K shot. I did however purchase an oral form (K-Quinone) online from preciousarrows. My wife has also made the decision not to get an epidural, unless (for some reason) it is absolutely necessary.

A little bit about us; we are both in shape, healthy, and not on any prescription medications. My wife has been taking Rainbow Light Prenatal ONE vitamins since we made the decision to start trying last May of 2012. She has also been taking Nordic Naturals prenatal DHA as well as a smaller EPA supplement along with it. She has been eating right and all of her OBGYN appointments have been great. Everything is normal, no problems. For that we are very thankful :)

My concern is, she tested positive for GBS. I know this is somewhat common and doesn't usually pose any problems for the mother or the child. We are having a hospital birth. I myself would prefer a home birth/natural birth, although since this is our first time so she feels more comfortable going the hospital route just in case some major complication were to happen. Because of the positive GBS, her OBGYN is recommending the normal dosing of Penicillin during labor.

My questions are, has anyone had any experiences with the Penicillin? I have been reading and reading so much, I am just looking for some personal experience. It's difficult to discuss these things with close friends that already have children, because they have all gone the route to do whatever the doctors recommend (getting vaccines, etc etc.) According to the CDC, the recommended dosing is rather large, and that worries me.

Would the dosage of Penicillin have any negative effects on clotting in our newborn even with the oral vitamin k supplement? I'm just trying to do what is best for my wife and our child. We were never really aware of all the dangers with vaccines and other treatments until I started reading months ago. I'm so glad I did!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, it is greatly appreciated :)

GranolaMamaOf3 April 9th, 2013 10:28 AM

Re: Hi everyone! Introduction and a few questions

Hi Kevin, First of all, Congratulations on your first baby girl! I'm impressed with all the research and preparation you and your wife have done! It's rare to see a partner so actively involved - Way to Go!

I'm sorry to just now be responding to this. It's been a crazy month for the hosts in here... I'm not even sure if you are still in need of this info. You could be holding your baby girl in your arms as I type :) This topic was actually discussed recently on this board. You can view the conversation here - http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...s-testing.html

Know that in most hospitals you do have the right to refuse antibiotics during labor (I'd encourage you to discus your options with your care provider in advance), but the staff will probably want to monitor the baby a little more closely after the birth. Here is a great article on the actual numbers and risk of GBS to mom and baby to help you make an informed choice. Group B Strep in Pregnancy: Evidence for Antibiotics and Alternatives Evidence Based Birth

If you are not comfortable with the antibiotics, you can choose to try and treat the infection at home, under the care of your Dr/Midwife with probiotics containing L. Rhamnosus and garlic (some information on the garlic here - How to Treat a Vaginal Infection with a Clove of Garlic - by Judy Slome Cohain, CNM ), then ask to be retested. If the test comes back negative, your problem is solved :)

I hope this helps and you have a wonderful, complication-free birthing experience!