JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   What to wear? (Not as vain or stupid as it sounds) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2638759-what-to-wear-not-vain-stupid-sounds.html)

CrochetingMama March 28th, 2013 07:18 PM

What to wear? (Not as vain or stupid as it sounds)

I'm planning on doing NCB in roughly 2 weeks and I just now got around to realizing I should get this figured out.

I'm going to be in a variety of positions at least at first, and there is a tub and a shower available for me to use at this hospital.

I do not want to model the bare-yer-butt hospital gown. I know I can do a t-shirt or something in place of that...but should I take a couple different outfits depending on what I'm doing? I can't imagine being in the shower and then on the bed in the same wet t-shirt. I"m probably overlooking something obvious..

but of all the things I could be stressing about (like, hello, PAIN!) I'm focusing on this! LOL. I do plan on at minimum taking an oversized 4XL T shirt and my robe, along with a pair of preferable thick socks.

ChicaChels March 28th, 2013 08:02 PM

I really stressed about this, too. I don't have a whole lot of personal insight since I got to the hospital pushing, though.

I did have a robe packed for easy covering with minimal hassle. I'm not a fan of baring my butt either! I also had 4-5 sports bras packed.

mal91011 March 29th, 2013 01:42 AM

Delurking... I brought with me to the hospital a birthing skirt that I made with a pattern I found from pintrest. After my first round in the tub though, I ended up spending the rest of the time laboring totally naked.

I thought I'd be too modest for it but honestly I reached a point that I didn't care!

ashj_1218 March 29th, 2013 07:54 AM

Re: What to wear? (Not as vain or stupid as it sounds)

Honestly, I didn't give a seconds thought to what I was wearing in labor. Through my first one I wore jeans and a short-sleeved sweater :o I only took them off and put on a gown when I started to push. It just didn't cross my mind. But I was obviously not in the shower or tub.

My second I wore a long skirt and a t-shirt through labor. Although I did end up taking the skirt off because it got soaked from my water. But at that point, I was mostly in bed anyway (pitocin and monitoring).

This time, I am planning another long skirt and some sports bras (for shower or tub). I will prolly bring a pair of comfy PJ pants that I don't care about them getting ruined and a couple long t-shirts as well. I figure it will be helpful after labor as well, since ill want to be really comfy. I am hoping to not be at the hospital long this time around. We will see how it all works out :)

alittlelost March 29th, 2013 03:46 PM

I started in sweats and an over sized shirt. I labored in the water with my shirt on until it got too hot. then everything came off and I just didn't care anymore. i might try a sports bra this time.

what about one of hose Pretty Pushers Maternity Labor Delivery Hospital Gowns??

Laurenj915 March 29th, 2013 05:32 PM

I wore a long tank in the tub and when i got out I wore a bikini cover up. It just covered my butt so i thought it was the perfect length.

Here it is... Lol, let's pretend this is what I looked like wearing it in labor. Mine was blue.
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps86808031.jpg

Memi March 30th, 2013 10:20 AM

I've started thinking about this as well since I'm working on my packing list.

I don't have much insight since I didn't go natural with my first and just wore that stupid hospital gown. This time I'm planning packing a nursing bra, a sports bra and some tank tops so I have some options. I'm sure I won't want a whole lot on but I do know I want at least my top covered during labor. I'll pack a few yoga or pajama pants in case I'm modest at first.

NinjaCakes March 30th, 2013 12:19 PM

This is a really good question, thanks for asking it :)

Sk8ermaiden March 30th, 2013 08:47 PM

I wore a black sleep nursing bra, and when I was out of the tub, a birth skirt. I plan to do the same this time, but with swim bottoms for the tub. I had a couple extra of the bras, for if one got wet in the tub.

MissusF March 31st, 2013 11:30 AM

I wore a black tank top and a pair of black yoga pants until I got in the tub. Then the yoga pants came off. The tank top stayed on through the the whole thing. I put some thought into what I wore because I had a photographer at my birth so I didn't want to be completely naked the whole time :). I love the swim cover up. That would be perfect and easy to pull out of the way for skin to skin once baby is born.

Calendula March 31st, 2013 06:37 PM

In the shower, I just went naked. I brought a thin robe of my own to use for walking, but didn't use it much. In bed or in the room, I just went with towels or hospital gowns.

daneeleigh April 1st, 2013 09:39 AM

I wore a nightshirt gown type thing until I got into the tub and I was naked from that point on lol.

Counting our Blessings April 1st, 2013 11:16 AM

I just wore the hospital gown until I got in the birthing pool, than had a long tank top on and not bottoms, since I was pushing. My doctor and hubby were watching a baseball game, so it didn't really concern me what I was wearing.

Husher April 1st, 2013 03:07 PM

When I was in the hospital with my first, I think I showered naked. They did allow me to sit in the but, but I'm pretty sure I would have gone naked there too. With our second, I labored in the tub as soon as I got to the birth center, and only wore a sports bra. Once you're in full on labor, you probably won't care what you're wearing. :)

therevslady April 2nd, 2013 01:52 PM

I wore hospital gowns for my first two. Then with my third, I did the majority of my labor outside of the hospital. I was shopping most of the day, and had on a cotton dress and leggings. By the time I got to the hospital, I was stripped down to nothing. I couldn't stand anything touching me. With my fourth, I wore yoga pants, a sleep nursing bra, and when I was around people, I threw on a robe.

My last two had long a long drawn out beginning phase of labor with contractions ten minutes apart, but the active, fast moving part (initiated by my water breaking) only lasted about an hour for each. I get super primal for that last hour.

beamermarie April 2nd, 2013 06:47 PM

I have to tell you, I went through three pairs of socks between the blood and fluids that kept running down my legs for hours. I finally gave up on the socks.

Earthy.Mama April 3rd, 2013 05:54 AM

I wore this green babydoll kinda thing. After it got wet I eventually was garbed in the hospital gowns from getting in and out of the birth tub repeatedly. I remember my MW shaking me down with a towel every time I got out and re-dressing me.

With Nola, I wore the same green baby doll thing, but since I birthed at home I ended up being totally naked. I'm surprised that happened, but when you're in labor the stuff you thought you'd care about really does go out the window. LOL!

joellejello April 4th, 2013 12:57 PM

I wore a loose tank in the birth tub, but befor that I just had the hospital gown on, I didn't want to destroy my own clothes. I wouldn't have cared if I was naked the whole time though. In fact, I didnt' have my tank top when we got to the tub room (mom had to run back to get it), and the nurses were like "don't worry about the gown, you can wear it into the tub" but I was already climbing stark naked into the tub. I. did. not. care.