JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Staying Natural (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2645039-staying-natural.html)

gustka48 April 22nd, 2013 10:56 AM

Staying Natural

Hey ladies,

So I am be jumping the gun here, because my husband and I are not even pregnant yet. We have been TTC/NTNP for a couple months but no such luck yet. But that's okay, we aren't in a huge rush.

But I've expressed to both my mother (who when the time comes will labor with me) and my husband that I want to go all natural. In a hospital but no pain meds or any inducing. My problem is I'm not sure if in the heat of labor if I will suddenly change my mind and then afterward I would really regret it.

So from you mommies that have rose from the challenged what are some good ways to prepare your self to stay natural. And is there anything you can do pre-pregnancy that you can do?

Thanks!

daneeleigh April 22nd, 2013 12:39 PM

Re: Staying Natural

Welcome! I say just do as much research as you can for preparing for a natural births. Find out how your area is/local hospitals and what their thought it on natural births. See if you can find any local groups who support it.

therevslady April 22nd, 2013 07:30 PM

Welcome! Several things you can do:
1. Get a care provider and/or hospital with a low c-section rate (15% or lower).
2. Find a care provider with a low epidural rate.
3. Take a childbirth class (one NOT offered by the hospital).
4. Get a doula.
5. Get a couple of natural birth books and start reading now: Ina May's Guide to childbirth is a great one to start with

beamermarie April 23rd, 2013 08:02 AM

The biggest things are breathing, and a good person to do some back pressure point massage. I made it two days in delayed labor with real contractions but no dilation, then finally got to 4cm so the hospital agreed to admit me. I was 42 weeks at that point, refusing induction. A few hours of hard contractions, sleep deprivation from days of laboring at home, and no progression past 4cm, I allowed pitocin due to concerns for lack of progression + baby heartrate. I made it about 8 hours on the highest possible pitocin levels (as determined by staff measuring the strength of my contractions), still with no pain meds. It was tough, but breathing and staying calm allowed me to maintain my sanity. I ended up needing a epidural for medical reasons, and I was sobbing as I gave in.

I'd been in labor for so long, and on pitocin for 8 hours, and I couldn't get past 9cm. We had meconium and heart rate issues, so the docs wanted to prep for a C-section. They theorized that an epidural would relax my muscles to allow me to completely dilate. It worked!

I know I could have made it naturally though, if my body would have cooperated. The pain wasn't that bad if you can just breath through it and realize that a contraction only lasts about a minute.

gustka48 April 23rd, 2013 12:14 PM

Thank you ladies for all you insight! I'm really nervous about all of it. Becoming pregnant and labor and delivery!!!!

But I just feel like this is what my body is made for so I want so badly to do it naturally!!