JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   The "I didn't know I was pregnant" revelation (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2645893-i-didnt-know-i-pregnant-revelation.html)

keekopeeko April 25th, 2013 07:16 AM

The "I didn't know I was pregnant" revelation

I watch all those TLC shows.. I can't help myself :)...

Has anyone else noticed that in this show the women almost never make it to the hospital until the baby is crowning:: or even have them at home:.: I think it's absolutely incredible how strong most women ARE when they have no idea what's going on... I have to think that if most of these women KNEW they were in labor they would have gotten an epidural a long time ago.. And look! Look what they did! Delivered a baby naturally! ... It just makes me think that the pain of labor is such an instilled fear! Woman can be so strong and endure so much when they have too... I really hope that in the coming years the view of labor can change from fear to strength!!

Counting our Blessings April 25th, 2013 08:43 AM

Re: The "I didn't know I was pregnant" revelation

I've never seen it...we don't do much tv, so I've never seen any birth/baby shows.

But that is a great point. We are conditioned to think it's going to be bad. My MIL was here the other night going over her labor in front of our girls saying how bad it was, the pain, etc. I'm not saying there is not pain, not at all, but explained the difference to our kids about labor being painful vs purposeful. I don't want them growing up thinking birth is like the worst thing to go through. Obviously expecting number 10, I know that is not true :smile:

That doesn't mean I don't get scared and irrational the last few weeks :D

NinjaCakes April 26th, 2013 10:25 AM

I've never watched it, but I couldn't agree with you more. I wish more women were empowered by the messages of society rather than beaten down and discouraged.

Memi April 26th, 2013 10:43 AM

I've always noticed that as well. I tell my close friends who think I'm "crazy", if hundreds of high school girls can give birth in the bathroom stalls at school to keep their pregnancy a secret, I sure as heck can do it with the knowledge, experience and support I have behind me.

NinjaCakes April 27th, 2013 08:57 PM

Darn well :)

GranolaMamaOf3 April 29th, 2013 07:11 AM

Great point!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memi (Post 27318578)
I've always noticed that as well. I tell my close friends who think I'm "crazy", if hundreds of high school girls can give birth in the bathroom stalls at school to keep their pregnancy a secret, I sure as heck can do it with the knowledge, experience and support I have behind me.

Sad, but all too true!

daneeleigh April 29th, 2013 08:40 AM

I've noticed that too watching the show but they all also say they thought they were dying lol. It's amazing how long they wait to get help yet had they known they were pregnant they would have gone to the hospital at the first contraction.