JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Lets Talk: Postpartum Recovery (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2647177-lets-talk-postpartum-recovery.html)

GranolaMamaOf3 April 30th, 2013 02:31 PM

Lets Talk: Postpartum Recovery

I know the big thing on everyone's mind is labor and birth and tiny squishy babies(!!), but lets talk about postpartum healing and how to cope with some of the discomforts which accompany that time.

I've seen a few recipes floating around the internet for herbal bath blends that mom and the new baby can soak in together. Or they can be steeped and used in a peri bottle to help sooth after you urinate (here, here, here, and here for example). I think they sound heavenly. :cloud9: I also know of a few companies that make and sell herbal bath blends, like EarthMamaAngelBaby and these sold from birth supply companies. Has anyone tried something like this? Do you have a favorite you would recommend?

What about tea or tinctures to ingest? I used WishGardenHerbs After Ease tincture after my last baby and I felt like it really helped the afterbirth cramps. What else is good?

And lets not forget "padsicles" (like here). Ahhh yes! I made some with aloe, which hazel and lavender and they were *amazing*! Highly recommend them!! :D

So BTDT moms: What were some of your favorite coping methods? Favorite comforting foods or drink? Did you receive any special pampering? Anything you didn't like?

And FTMs, feel free to jump in here too with your ideas :)

UrbanMomma April 30th, 2013 03:40 PM

Re: Lets Talk: Postpartum Recovery

I have done the herbal baths, my midwife gave me the "recipe" during my homebirths. It is recommended to soak with baby shortly after birth, then again once a day for the next few days to promote healing and for the babys cord. I found it relaxing, not really sure if it sped up the healing, but maybe it did.

I admit I am one of those moms who doesn't sit or relax much after birth, and pampering, hahaha.

Kelllilee April 30th, 2013 07:23 PM

I didn't do much of anything with my first two. With my third my midwife gave me something (I want to say arnica) and an herbal tea for spraying on the girly bits. Honestly, I felt 100% normal within 48 hours. Not sure if what she gave me was the difference or what, but I hope to have such a good recovery this time as well!

MeggysMommy April 30th, 2013 08:55 PM

This is the biggest part that scares me I think! I've never known anything other than a c/section recovery so this part is very foreign to me. I'm definitely gonna look at some of the things you posted Heather!

NinjaCakes April 30th, 2013 11:48 PM

Definitely going to lurk this thread :)

keekopeeko May 1st, 2013 07:47 AM

I've never really done anything specific... Just LOTS of apple juice in the beginning ;)... And I'd be all for some spray or ice pads for the Girly bits but I've never gotten around to doing anything ... And those baths sound wonderful... :) maybe ill try some new things out this time.. Who knows

4 boys May 1st, 2013 11:46 AM

I've tried everything for afterpains: AfterEase, tylenol 3's, ibuprofen, heat, showers, lying on a rolled up towel. Unfortunately I have only ever been able to make the pain barely bearable! Nothing really has taken it away. I don't know what I'm going to do this time, other than try all those things again.

I would say the second night/day after birth is the worst. That's when all the muscle aches from delivering catch up to you and the emotional high (at least for me) is kind of gone.

The best thing to do in my book is keep up on painkillers, sit on the couch, eat snacks and hold your baby.

I have also always found that once my milk comes in, I get super sweaty at night and wake up drenched (really gross, I know). Not much you can do about it, I suppose. But I am looking into getting some kind of waterproof mattress pad soon, not just for that but also in case my water breaks in bed.

And it sounds kind of rude, but I really enjoy NOT having people over during the first few days, other than maybe very close family. Everything will be much worse recovery-wise if you have to worry about people being in your house. Enjoy your peace and quiet before you let people come see your baby!

NinjaCakes May 1st, 2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 boys (Post 27331810)
I get super sweaty at night and wake up drenched

I have had that problem for years now! It is annoying to say the least. :/ I know someone who sleeps on a clean dish towel every night to minimize the stinky impact on the pillow.

therevslady May 2nd, 2013 05:34 AM

The midwife who I work for has a recipe I have yet to learn for postpartum baths. She also has all of her clients continue with NORA tea.

Some things off the top of my head:
*Raw honey on any vaginal tears to assist in healing and comfort.
*Herbs from bath mixture can be refrigerated and used in Peri bottle.
*They can also be used on a sposie and frozen for comfort.
*Arnica helps with swellings- recommended routinely by many midwives.
*Placenta encapsulation helps with mood disorders and hormonal issues (such as milk supply, night sweats, hair loss)
*Drink LOTS Of water often while nursing.
*If someone is coming over, they better not step a foot on my doorstep without a meal in their hand.
*I like to just chill out and let people serve me. This was hard last time because I had other littles to care for, but I just forced myself to do it. My husband did pick up some of the slack and the house didn't fall to pieces.

daneeleigh May 2nd, 2013 08:37 AM

I sat on an ice pack for two weeks lol. My son bruised my bladder during his arrival so that made it super painful to pee. I'm really hoping to avoid that pain this time. *Shudder*

GranolaMamaOf3 May 2nd, 2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelllilee (Post 27330037)
I didn't do much of anything with my first two. With my third my midwife gave me something (I want to say arnica) and an herbal tea for spraying on the girly bits. Honestly, I felt 100% normal within 48 hours. Not sure if what she gave me was the difference or what, but I hope to have such a good recovery this time as well!

Ohh! I forgot about the arnica! I took that after my second too! thanks for the reminder :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 boys (Post 27331810)
I've tried everything for afterpains: AfterEase, tylenol 3's, ibuprofen, heat, showers, lying on a rolled up towel. Unfortunately I have only ever been able to make the pain barely bearable! Nothing really has taken it away. I don't know what I'm going to do this time, other than try all those things again.

I would say the second night/day after birth is the worst. That's when all the muscle aches from delivering catch up to you and the emotional high (at least for me) is kind of gone.

The best thing to do in my book is keep up on painkillers, sit on the couch, eat snacks and hold your baby.

I have also always found that once my milk comes in, I get super sweaty at night and wake up drenched (really gross, I know). Not much you can do about it, I suppose. But I am looking into getting some kind of waterproof mattress pad soon, not just for that but also in case my water breaks in bed.

And it sounds kind of rude, but I really enjoy NOT having people over during the first few days, other than maybe very close family. Everything will be much worse recovery-wise if you have to worry about people being in your house. Enjoy your peace and quiet before you let people come see your baby!

Not rude at all! I have already told people what I expect and explained that I need my space! One of the "downsides" of a home-birth is that there are no "visiting hours", and people just don't use common sense! :rolleyes: I love my family, but I will not be up to hosting out-of-town guests for the first few weeks. Sorry!

Pinkapple May 9th, 2013 03:04 PM

I'm also the kind of person who couldn't ease the pain after birth! I didn't try any herbal baths because for 5 days pp I was still in the hospital :/ I did find that epsom salt did wonders!