JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Anyone have/planning a twin natural birth? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2651544-anyone-have-planning-twin-natural-birth.html)

JulieMc May 18th, 2013 03:38 PM

Anyone have/planning a twin natural birth?

My son was induced and I got an epidural, and then with my daughter I went into labor on my own and did it all natural - no drugs, IVs, or anything. I would love to have another natural birth. I found recovery much easier. Anyways, now I find myself pregnant with twins. I haven't yet met with my midwife, so I don't know what her protocol is...but I did at least call her office and she will still take me even though its twins...yay!! I didn't want to have to switch, but thought it could be a possibility because many midwives think its too high risk. Now I have to find out if they'll still let me do water birth or if the hospital will say twins are too high risk for that.... Anyways...if anyone could direct me to natural birth stories for twins, or share any info or tips here, I'd appreciate it.

Birth is still a long ways off for me...I'm still in the first trimester...but this twin thing is all new to me, so I'm excited and eager to read all I can about it.

ChicaChels May 19th, 2013 12:19 AM

Re: Anyone have/planning a twin natural birth?

its going to be totally dependent on your hospitals protocols. my midwife can see twin pregnancies, but when she was employed by the hospital she couldnt attend the birth - most births at the hospitals here (and for the most part they are pretty naturally friendly) are done in the OR, and a lot of providers really push to have an epidural placed "just in case" (though i know more than 1 dr. who is totally cool with momma having a normal birth)

i think something important for twin mommas is to have a doula who has either had twins, or has been there for at least a couple of twin births.

daneeleigh May 19th, 2013 09:13 AM

I've seen some YouTube videos and they all took place in the ER. They were all attended by OBs but the doctors all seemed extremely supportive of their decision. I've heard of home midwives delivering twins.

KtKuKi May 19th, 2013 06:24 PM

My sister had twins and was scared into the epidural. They told her "if" anything went wrong she'd be completely out for the babies birth and she didn't want that. She also had to be in an OR b/c of hospital policy.

My midwife has delivered twins at home that were 40+ weeks and born 12 hours apart, which I thought was pretty cool...it can be done:)

JulieMc May 20th, 2013 07:02 PM

Ugh. I hope they don't make me deliver in an OR...that would suck. I guess I will find out more at my appointment with her in two weeks. I'm really anxious about that because I want to find out what their rules are. I'm already assuming that twins risks me out of the holistic birth center they have, which is where I had my daughter... it's within the hospital and is only used by the midwives and one OB, who happens to be the OB who my midwife works with...so he is more natural friendly, but he's a massive jerk (one of those ones with the god complex) and I pretty much hate him. lol. Anyways, the birth center is amazing...but....there's all kinds of rules that can risk you out and make you have to use the regular part of the hospital.

This is the most natural friendly hospital in the area, and my best shot. I hope their rules are not super strict. They probably don't get many twin births there though cuz just a couple miles away is one of Cleveland Clinic's big hospitals with the highest level NICU around (and a nearly 50% c-section rate), so a lot of the multiples are born there.

My midwife is awesome, and she's gone to bat for me before...so if I have issues with someone trying to force something on me that's not needed, she'll look out for me...I'm sure of that.

Do hospitals usually have their policies about this kind of stuff online anywhere? Or is this something I"m going to have to find out about from my midwife or the hospital?

daneeleigh May 20th, 2013 09:01 PM

I meant OR lol, not ER.

GranolaMamaOf3 June 8th, 2013 07:05 PM

I'm just now seeing this.... Welcome and congratulations!! Twin natural birth is (unfortunately) more uncommon, but it is totally possible! I have two friends who have done it in the last year; One in a hospital and one at home (double breach water birth! Amazing story!) I hope you are finding the support and care you need so far! Good luck!

GranolaMamaOf3 June 8th, 2013 07:16 PM

Here is my one friends natural twin birth featured on the Birth Without Fear blog (a neat website, you might find some other helpful birth stories!) Breech Twin Birth Without Fear | Birth Without Fear

daneeleigh June 8th, 2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMama (Post 27432915)
Here is my one friends natural twin birth featured on the Birth Without Fear blog (a neat website, you might find some other helpful birth stories!) Breech Twin Birth Without Fear | Birth Without Fear

Wow, insane! I'm surprised she found a doctor to assist in a home birth.

GranolaMamaOf3 June 10th, 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daneeleigh (Post 27433184)
Wow, insane! I'm surprised she found a doctor to assist in a home birth.

It was a pretty neat set-up! :D She shared her whole story during a local radio fund drive here - PodOmatic | Podcast - Maternally Yours' Podcast (It was episode 75. The other episodes are cool too)