JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Memi (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2653295-memi.html)

GranolaMamaOf3 May 24th, 2013 02:16 PM

Memi

Okay so I've been trying to be patient, but I can't help myself! I need an update! (and ::cough:: birth story ::cough:: ;)) I hope you are doing well!!

Memi May 24th, 2013 04:22 PM

:giggle: Fair enough! Sorry I have been sneaking around when I had some free time but havent been on very often.
My little boy will be two weeks on Monday and hes doing great. Hes doing wonderful with breastfeeding and is doing well sleeping at night...fingers crossed that keeps up!
Here is my birth story copied directly from my DDC. I honestly hope its not discouraging to anyone. This was just my experience.
P.S. Any of you ladies who say contractions arent painful and were just pressure waves....I need to know what program you were on before I go thru this again! ;)

My birth story:
My due date came and passed on May 10th with still no signs of baby. On May 13th I was beginning to make plans on how to handle my upcoming 41 week OB appointment and trying to make a decision on how far past my due date I was comfortable going. I was ultimately planning for my own induction which is not what I wanted. Little did I know that baby had his own plans that day.

Around noon on Monday, May 13th I took 1 tbsp of castor oil as a last ditch effort to get things moving along. At 6:30 p.m. I began to have Braxton Hicks contractions. Just the normal painless tightening that I had become so familiar with. I told DH that I was going to take a shower before dinner "just in case". In the shower the Braxton Hicks seemed to subside which confirmed what I had already thought--this was another night of false labor. By 7:30 p.m. I started to get some discomfort with my "Braxton Hicks" contractions that had started back. By 8:00 p.m. I was calling having to lay in bed and breath through each contraction. I did not want alert anyone too early but I felt as though things were moving fairly quick and this was it, so I called my parents to come get Gabriel and called my Douala to put her on alert. My Douala told me to call her in half an hour to see how things were progressing. About 5 minutes after I got off the phone with her I knew we were headed to the hospital soon. As my parents hurried over to pick up Gabriel I was in a rush trying to dry my hair and finish packing my hospital bag. It took a while because contractions were getting strong and I was having them pretty close together. DH started getting really nervous about leaving quickly, I could tell, but they were coming so quickly it seemed to take me forever to get the smallest task done.

9:00 p.m. we were finally in the car on the way to the hospital. DH called my midwife to let her know we were coming in. He instructed her we were about an hour away and my contractions were coming every 2 minutes. My midwife was even more nervous about this than us and instructed us to go to the nearest hospital if needed. On the way they started getting really really intense and were coming quick. I started praying out loud for no traffic. I was gripping the "holy crap" handle in our car and trying my best to work through each contraction. I started counting down how many contractions I had left to get through based off how far away we were. Finally DH rolled up to the ER and there I sat waiting what seemed like forever for a wheelchair. There was no possible way I could have walked to a room at this point.

Once they got me to triage she quickly checked me and immediately admitted me. I was 6cm dilated and 90% effaced and writhing in pain!! Once I got admitted and to the labor & delivery room I thought that my water had broken and made them check me again. Turns out I had begun to loose my mucus plug (A.K.A. "flubber" ;) ) and it seemed to just keep coming. At this point my contractions were coming every minute and lasting for God knows how long. It felt as though my stomach was ripping open as each contraction peaked. I had no time between to rest or regroup and everything was happening so fast. I will readily admit that at this point I began gripping DH's hand and telling him in a very serious tone I wanted the epidural. At just that moment my Douala graced us with her presence and promptly got me out of the bed and into the shower. There I labored for about 30 minutes. Nothing I did helped to each my contractions, for me it was just a matter of gripping the shower bar and suffering/fighting through them. I was begging for them to get the birthing pool prepared for me and they finally told me there was no time. When I heard I couldn't even have the relief of the water I got angry and started partially grunting through my contractions as they peaked. Everyone in the room started getting excited at hearing me grunt and told me my body was pushing whether I knew it or not. What THEY didn't know is it was not my body's instinct but my anger grunting, LOL. I was just trying anything I could think of to ease the pain.

Finally my midwife told me my only relief was to have this baby and she was going to help me get this baby out. She had me walk from the shower back to my bed to push and that walk took me quite some time as I had about 3 contractions along the short way and kept having to stop. Once I finally made it in the bed she checked me and said I was 8 1/2 cm dilated and baby was at a +2 station. She broke my water during the check. This is the part I remember being the most painful: my midwife told me I had a tiny anterior lip left to dilate and she was going to help push that over baby's head....during my contractions! I started yelling at her through those two or three contractions. It was making the pain even worse, which I did not think was possible! But once she had done that she gave me full permission to start pushing. I started pushing at 11:32 p.m. and baby was born by 11:46 p.m. My team was very encouraging as I pushed, saying I need to teach a class on effective pushing and I earned 5 stars. This was nice to hear since I've never pushed a baby out before I had been worried my whole pregnancy that this portion of labor would take me a while to learn effective pushing. I was just so ready for baby to get here I don't think I could think of anything else put pushing as hard as possible with everything I had. I was very surprised to find out that pushing did not hurt at all. It was the contractions that held the pain, but feeling baby come out was the empowering part!

Roman Jude weighed 8 lb. 7 oz. and was 20 inches long. He was born so calm he scared me a bit, just as he had been calm in my belly and seems to continue to be easy going. He had tons of jet black hair that was so long it is past the nape of his neck. He was beautiful!!

I am so incredibly thankful that I got my VBAC birth. I had always said my ultimate goal was to get a VBAC and the natural portion would just be a bonus -- looks like I got both. My entire labor from start to finish was about 4 hours long. I never in a million years expected for it to go so quickly. It was the most intense experience of my entire life and the complete opposite in every aspect to my first labor experience. So far the recovery of a vaginal birth just has no comparison to the recovery I experienced with my cesarean birth. I am sore and healing, there is no doubt on that. But the day after his birth I was doing things that took me over two weeks to be able to do after my cesarean birth. I am a much happier post-partum Mommy this time around, and for that I am very grateful. The entire experience may still be too fresh on my mind, but I honestly am not sure I would go for another all natural birth. While I am extremely proud of what I was able to accomplish, now that I know I am able to have a successful vaginal birth I do not feel the need to attempt labor without drugs again. Although, who knows, that too may change... ;)

keekopeeko May 24th, 2013 05:45 PM

Re: Memi

That is a great story!! What a wonderful labor! And you did it!!!

daneeleigh May 24th, 2013 11:13 PM

Lol to your response. I too did not find labor to be like pressure waves. I had intense back labor that honestly has me nervous about my upcoming labor. And I wrote my birth story honest to what I remember. Everyone's experience is different but the awesome news is you got your VBAC! Congratulations!

alittlelost May 25th, 2013 01:18 PM

Congrats on your VBAC!!! Oh, how exciting! you did amazing!

For me, labor isn't so bad, but pushing is the worst! I think it's just different for everyone and also from pregnancy to pregnancy.

AnnaBonana May 25th, 2013 05:13 PM

Thank you so much for sharing! What a great story and congrats in your VBAC and on your little one!

I love birth stories and can't get enough of them.

therevslady May 25th, 2013 06:40 PM

I'm soooo happy that you got your VBAC! Congratulations!

KtKuKi May 25th, 2013 09:41 PM

Congrats on your vbac!

GranolaMamaOf3 May 27th, 2013 07:59 AM

Gah! I posted this thread and then I haven't been back on JM to check in! Sorry for the delayed response!

I love your story! Thank you so much for sharing! I am so proud of you and SO EXCITED that you got your VBAC! AND that breastfeeding has been going well! (I was wondering about that! :D)

Congratulations!!

Memi May 27th, 2013 03:18 PM

Thanks so much everyone. Im very thankful that ive had such a different experience this time around in every possible way. This is the way things should be so it feels good to experience childbirth, recovery and breastfeeding in a positive light.

MissusF May 27th, 2013 09:21 PM

Congrats on your VBAC! I used Hypnobabies and they teach you to view contractions as pressure waves and not pain.... Yeah, that went out the window REAL fast for me lol. Hypnobabies helped me keep very calm and focused during birth, but my birth was far from painless! I want to know the secret too :)

Husher May 28th, 2013 08:45 AM

Congratulations on your VBAC!! I'm so very happy that you were able to experience the natural birth. :)