JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   The most important... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2653901-most-important.html)

Urchin May 28th, 2013 06:54 AM

The most important...

What would you say was one of the most important factors when it came to successfully having your natural birth (doula? method of coping? spouse? location?)

Why do you feel this made all the difference?

ladyluck87 May 28th, 2013 07:24 AM

Re: The most important...

For me it was breathing and not giving in to the pain mentally. What I mean by not giving into the pain mentally is by not saying "OMG this hurts, this hurts, this hurts" But rather just let the pain take over and do its job and remind yourself that pain is GOOD. The pain is your baby making his way into the world.

Really focusing on taking good breaths during contraction helps distract yourself, as well as counting. ANYTHING that you can focus on besides focusing on the pain.

For me personally, I was so busy focusing inside my head that the president could have been in the room and I wouldn't have noticed. Actually, sometimes I wish people would have just left me alone so I could focus better because sometimes they were distracting. Once I was distracted, I had to start my focus all over again. I welcomed the pain, rather than looking at it in a negative way.

ladyluck87 May 28th, 2013 07:35 AM

Oh, I have to add that I had natural childbirths in a hospital. The second time I stayed home as long as possible, and that truly helped because I was so distracted that the contrax didn't hurt much at all. When I got to the hospital I was already 8cm, and it was just beginning to hurt. from 8-9 I sat in a glider chair and that helped SO much. At 9cm when it began to really take my breath away is when I started to really focus as I mentioned above.

I definitely recommend staying home as long as possible to distract yourself!

UrbanMomma May 28th, 2013 07:59 AM

Determination. Once I am just set to do something it will get done.

I agree focusing on anything besides each and every contraction helps, and I am all for staying home as long as possible for hospital births. I had to have my last two in the hospital and both times walked in at a 10 ready to push, they were both born within 15-20 minutes of arriving.

Husher May 28th, 2013 08:05 AM

I think just trusting my body and knowing what I needed to remain calm and listen to my body. For me, that means a quiet environment where I'm left to labor peacefully. The birth center was exactly what I needed after the hospital experience we had with our first.

GranolaMamaOf3 May 28th, 2013 03:10 PM

Education; which leads to normalcy and trust: which leads to relaxation and empowerment.

I believe part of what helped ME *most* was the fact that my mom spoke so openly and positively about natural birth with my sisters and I from the time we were very young. It has always been considered normal and nothing to be feared. The knowledge that I was created to do it left me feeling empowered and capable. I don't think I ever questioned whether I would birth naturally or not. Somehow I just knew I would.

Beyond that, I loved and very much valued my Bradley classes (again, education/trust/relaxation), and my husband was definitely a HUGE source of strength and encouragement!

NinjaCakes May 28th, 2013 05:32 PM

Not focusing on the contractions at the time and not anticipating the next one are things they stressed at the birthing class I took. Also trusting your body and staying home. I have yet to try this out, but it all makes sense to me.

daneeleigh May 29th, 2013 08:19 PM

My doula, the fact I was at a birth center with no drugs (although I never wanted them while in labor), and determination. To me, there was no other option but natural and I was along for the journey.

moxiemommie June 1st, 2013 11:19 PM

My fiance, he kept making me laugh and it hurt but I still laughed. Other than that just getting through wach contraction one by one and enjoying the minute or less in between contractions. I was lucky though because I had relatively short labors

alittlelost June 7th, 2013 12:22 PM

for me? having the baby out of a hospital. that was the only difference between my 3rd birth and my first 2 births, and it was a HUGE difference at that!