JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Our Baby! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2654397-our-baby.html)

jhmomofmany May 29th, 2013 11:04 AM

Our Baby!

was born Friday. It was so NOT the birth I wanted, but I did pretty darn well under the circumstances. John Anthony was born on Friday. I was induced after four days in an out-of-state hospital. I actually had to be moved to ICU for the birth, because of the blood pressure med they put me on. Labor was record-setting fast, contractions were nearly constant from the beginning, but not the worst I've had. John weighed in at 5lb, 14.5oz and 19 inches long. We made it home on Monday.

We are still having issues getting him to latch. My milk came in but doesn't seem to be letting down. I try nursing and then I am pumping to supplement via syringe or finger feeding. A few times he has latched on really well, but he mostly just suckles. He doesn't really take the long "drinking" sucks at all yet. Other times he is so hungry that trying to nurse just ticks him off, LOL! He's such a sweet little guy, though. Not fussy at all, just when he's hungry. The kids have worked out a system to take turns on who gets to hold him. He's going to be so spoiled, just like the baby of the family should be! :)

daneeleigh May 29th, 2013 08:20 PM

Re: Our Baby!

Congratulations!

therevslady May 30th, 2013 11:18 AM

Congrats! He sounds like a little sprite!

GranolaMamaOf3 May 30th, 2013 02:49 PM

Congratulations! I'm so glad he's here and safe! :D

Sorry about the nursing struggles. Have you heard of a supplemental nursing system (SNS)? They are quite handy for moms who have to pump or supplement for one reason or another. Maybe something worth checking out :)

jhmomofmany May 30th, 2013 03:24 PM

Thank you for reminding me of this, not sure why the LC at the hospital didn't suggest it. I will experiment with the supplies we have on hand to see if I can rig up something similar to try at the next feed. :)

Husher May 31st, 2013 08:24 AM

Congratulations!!!!! I hope the nursing improves, but I'm so thrilled for your newest addition! :)

daneeleigh June 1st, 2013 09:49 PM

I wish I would have known about the SNS when I had my son. I didn't learn about it till several months later and we just stuck to the nipple shield by then.

moxiemommie June 1st, 2013 11:29 PM

Congratulations! My first refused to nurse, I had to do finger feedings and after a week he was about 5 1/2 llbs (born at 6.13) so I ended up pumping and bottle feeding. Hopefully he'll get the hang of it! Enjoy your little one!

alittlelost June 7th, 2013 12:20 PM

Sorry the birth wasn't all you wanted it to be, but so glad you are all home now. Hope that nursing improves for you soon!