JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   How did you feel? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2656789-how-did-you-feel.html)

NinjaCakes June 7th, 2013 04:38 AM

How did you feel?

So, at my appointment this week my doctor ordered another steroid shot (because my cervix is even shorter) and put me on full bed rest. She mentioned that after 36 weeks I can do what I want and they won't stop labor. I will probably keep up the rest after 36 because I do want this baby's brain to be as developed as possible!

Anyway, labor doesn't often come to mind but I have been thinking about it more lately. I expected that at some point I would start feeling dread or worry (or panic). So far I haven't :) I feel really calm and content about it. I keep telling myself that I can do it and that everything will be fine, which of course has me wondering what the bob is wrong with me! :lol: What did you ladies feel in the weeks leading up to labor? Am I experiencing a calm before a storm?

UrbanMomma June 7th, 2013 05:37 AM

Re: How did you feel?

Perhaps I am odd, I don't feel dread, or worry. I like labor, it's such an awesome experience, I can't wait for it. :)

Sorry you have to be on bedrest, THAT would drive me bananas. At least it isn't for a very long time.

ashj_1218 June 7th, 2013 07:02 AM

I never dreaded or got scared of labor with my first or second child. With my first, I think it was just too abstract for me to worry about. Although he appeared at 36+6 and that might have helped, since it wasn't like I was waiting on him (bam, he was just here). My second, I think it was a case of bravado, I assumed it would go own like my first...and it didnt. Lol.

I think reminding yourself that you will be fine and you totally 'have' this is great!! Cause you do. You really will do perfectly wonderful. And if you can keep that worry or fear away, awesome. Doesn't make you wrong or abnormal. I think natural mamas generally have less fear and more excitement.

keekopeeko June 7th, 2013 07:28 AM

With my first I had a sense of excitement and, concern, maybe is the right word.. Because I really didn't know what to expect... The other times by the time I am full term I'm just ready... I'd say at this stage of the game is where I feel more dread about it.. But I know once I hit 39-40-42 weeks I will be ready and totally fine with the labor and delivery experience coming ...

mommamuffin June 7th, 2013 05:47 PM

When I get the really awful braxton hicks I think to myself "am I really going to do this again?" but the rest of the time I'm not super nervous or anxious about it. I had all natural with DD and am planning the same thing this time around. I think, like Em said, when I get to the very end I will be totally "ready feeling" for the labor because I'll be SO sick of being pregnant!

GranolaMamaOf3 June 8th, 2013 06:25 PM

I don't think that's odd at all! I think it's great! It's the way it should be, imo... Just take it moment by moment and you will do great!

I'm sorry about the bedrest! That's tough!! :-( You've been dealing with an incompetent cervix, right? Are you having contractions? I hope your little girl stays baking for another few weeks at least!

daneeleigh June 8th, 2013 11:03 PM

I never feared labor with my first. I think I didn't have any experience to compare it to so I didn't know what to expect. Plus I was so done at that point I no longer cared what was coming. This time is a little different. I'm more aware of what's happening and part of me is nervous and another part is just whatever. I know its coming, I know what to expect, and I know I'll get through it. Just hopefully in a shorter time frame lol!

hope71012 July 3rd, 2013 03:19 PM

I was about 5 cm for a week and half before DD was born. So I was not the happy camper with on/off contractions and half way there literally if the contractions would just keep going! After my last appt, I made plans to be induced the following Monday. I made plans for girls night sat and a date night sun. Well, you know the saying...best way to have a baby is make a plan. Neither happened. Even my midwife said see ya Monday.

All the emotion was gone. I just savored every moment and it was certainly a sense of calm I wasn't experiencing.