JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Belly binding? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2659247-belly-binding.html)

GranolaMamaOf3 June 17th, 2013 08:48 AM

Belly binding?

Has anyone ever done any belly binding? Either during pregnancy or to help postpartum recovery? What are your thoughts on this?

Example during pregnancy - The final stretch of pregnancy is usually a time... | See Baby Grow. See Baby Play. See Baby Blog.

and postpartum - Bengkung: Malaysian Postpartum Girdle - Venusian*Glow and http://fit2b.us/2011/10/13/binding-y...y-after-birth/

Kelllilee June 17th, 2013 09:57 AM

Re: Belly binding?

I haven't, but I'm REALLY tempted to do it for our upcoming camping trip. I've seen it done with a stretchy wrap and I think that's what I would do. I need to try it out and see if I notice a difference!

Husher June 18th, 2013 09:17 AM

This isn't technically the same thing, but I have been wearing a belly band from very early on in this pregnancy to alleviate pain from my hernia above my belly button. The slight pressure that the stretchy fabric puts on the hernia keeps it from popping out and also makes it less painful. I wear it almost every day, and usually only take it off at night when I'm sleeping. It's helped wonderfully!

daneeleigh June 18th, 2013 01:52 PM

I've thought about buying something for post Partum to suck my tummy back in. Is that the same thing?

Pinkapple June 18th, 2013 06:17 PM

I had two different postpartum bands. I actually didn't like the kind that stretched and then has a velcro closure, it always seemed to slip around too much. What I did instead was buy a slimmer! I bought two kinds, one for the whole upper body and one that pulls on like a pair of shorts. It was much more comfortable than my postpartum band and actually offered a lot more compression. I wore it for a week and by the end of that week (5 weeks pp) I could tell a huge difference in the size of my belly. I still wear it very often now (3 months pp).

but really my honest opinion is that the compression "postpartum" bands are mostly useless. Usually pretty costly for something so simple, too.

During pregnancy I used a compression band to hold my hips tight because I experienced a lot of hip pain.

GranolaMamaOf3 June 19th, 2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkapple (Post 27458884)
I had two different postpartum bands. I actually didn't like the kind that stretched and then has a velcro closure, it always seemed to slip around too much. What I did instead was buy a slimmer! I bought two kinds, one for the whole upper body and one that pulls on like a pair of shorts. It was much more comfortable than my postpartum band and actually offered a lot more compression. I wore it for a week and by the end of that week (5 weeks pp) I could tell a huge difference in the size of my belly. I still wear it very often now (3 months pp).

but really my honest opinion is that the compression "postpartum" bands are mostly useless. Usually pretty costly for something so simple, too.

During pregnancy I used a compression band to hold my hips tight because I experienced a lot of hip pain.

I've heard those pp bands do slip around a lot and are uncomfortable. I think I want to try a fabric wrap, like the one in the first pp link. (Bengkung binding?)

UrbanMomma June 19th, 2013 05:22 AM

I have a belly band too that I have worn for this pregnancy, it seems to help some.

GranolaMamaOf3 June 20th, 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daneeleigh (Post 27458193)
I've thought about buying something for post Partum to suck my tummy back in. Is that the same thing?

Yep, that's what we're talking about! It's supposed to help pull your muscles back together, and it's also said to help pp bleeding.

Kelllilee June 21st, 2013 08:13 AM

I tried it out last night and it was SOOOOOOO much more comfortable!!! I just used a lightweight stretchy wrap I had on hand. Baby's movements didn't hurt, I could sit in different positions comfortably and didn't feel like my belly was HANGING off my body.